News: Look, it's the Asian Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>THE managing director of Manly's new corporate co-owner Quantum has revealed a grand plan to take Sea Eagles games into Asia.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5248-look-its-the-asian-eagles.html">Read the full article</a>

"The great irony is that Manly was the club that almost went broke fighting Super League and its ambitious plans to take the game worldwide in the mid-1990s - yet it now sees its own future embracing Asia."

OMG.  Dean Ritchie, in The Daily Telegraph, is STILL flogging SuperLeague as the saviour with a genuine plan to sell League worldwide. How gullible does he think League fans are?

This article struck me as a News Ltd propaganda piece, designed to stick it into mainstream credibility. It is poor journalism and has very little to do with anything except that an owner or sponsor hopes to make some money or market credibility out of his investment.

It nice to have a 'vision' to take Manly games to Asia, but realistically, I can't see this happening. Manly may be prepared to let their players travel for a day to these exotic places, but why would an opposition team agree to it? It would disrupt their team's preparation for following matches.
However, it is good to hear that ideas are being formulated to extend the Sea Eagle brand and bring revenue into the club.

I was not aware that Quantum was a public company, I wonder what their shareholders would be thinking, surely bank interest would be a better return then owning a football team.

Fro link said:
\"Than Sydney\"....
**** you, I mean Thank you Fro :)

Post  automatically merged: [time]1290051503[/time]

Kiwi Eagle link said:
LOL, if Lowe suggested this move there would already be 4 pages of whinging about the idea
He had his chance and he chose PNG. That's the difference Kiwi.

WAMF link said:
[quote author=Fro link=topic=185972.msg306549#msg306549 date=1290049063]
\"Than Sydney\"....
f**k you, I mean Thank you Fro :)

Post  automatically merged: [time]1290051503[/time]

Kiwi Eagle link said:
LOL, if Lowe suggested this move there would already be 4 pages of whinging about the idea
He had his chance and he chose PNG. That's the difference Kiwi.
[/quote]

PNG, Asia, NZ, same **** different bucket really, money coming in is money coming in

yes the thoughts of a game in Singapore or Hong drive me wild.....but seriously this would only happen with NRL assistance, much like when the Brisbane Lions played in Shanghai recently.....the AFL pretty much funded that trip.

And it would be nothing more than an exhibition match, or at best a pre season trial.

But bring it on and the MWTS will be there for sure!!!

Mark from Brisbane link said:
yes the thoughts of a game in Singapore or Hong drive me wild.....but seriously this would only happen with NRL assistance, much like when the Brisbane Lions played in Shanghai recently.....the AFL pretty much funded that trip.

And it would be nothing more than an exhibition match, or at best a pre season trial.

But bring it on and the MWTS will be there for sure!!!

Id love it to go to Macau,id see a good mate and watch some good footy

Rex link said:
\"The great irony is that Manly was the club that almost went broke fighting Super League and its ambitious plans to take the game worldwide in the mid-1990s - yet it now sees its own future embracing Asia.\"

OMG.  Dean Ritchie, in The Daily Telegraph, is STILL flogging SuperLeague as the saviour with a genuine plan to sell League worldwide. How gullible does he think League fans are?

I love bashing the telecrap as much as anyone but thats still a bit harsh.  I don't read anything that is factually incorrect because thats exactly what happened.

Masked Eagle link said:
[quote author=Rex link=topic=185972.msg306495#msg306495 date=1290025472]
\"The great irony is that Manly was the club that almost went broke fighting Super League and its ambitious plans to take the game worldwide in the mid-1990s - yet it now sees its own future embracing Asia.\"

I love bashing the telecrap as much as anyone but thats still a bit harsh.  I don't read anything that is factually incorrect because thats exactly what happened.
[/quote]
So you believe that the Super League "plans to take the game worldwide in the mid-1990s" had any substance at all?  Any truth at all?

That they were anything more than a ruse to deceive people into supporting the News Ltd takeover of the game?

Seriously?

Contrary to Ritchie's suggestion, Manly were never against making Rugby League a world game, they were only against a hostile News Ltd takeover of the game. A takeover that, as it turns out, has all but bankrupted the game and made rugby league administrators mere puppets of an international corporation's self-interests - unlike AFL, soccer, cricket, etc who are in control of their own destinies.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4