News Limited Cr@p

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If Government themselves are incapable of clarifying their results as the positive to bring their constituents around, then perhaps their highlights just weren't that great in the public eye.

The public (and media) always focus on the negative out of government. The DT has for at least the last 20 years that I've been exposed to it, always swung the way of its readers whether it is ridiculing the GST in both the early 90s and when it got rolled out; or dismissive of our current mobs many failed programs or out-and-out lies and deception.

It is easy to label News given the current focus but it ignores their past support for Rudd and Keating, over the LNP. Right now, the DT recognise that Sydney has largely stopped listening to the current Fed govt and they will keep their readership happy with stories to reinforce the public opinion.

The Superleague era was an issue given they did act as the mouthpiece for Uncle Rupert (not surprising given he owned it and had hundreds of millions at stake) and was a period I simply did not read anything under their stable.

If only it was that simple

Have a watch of the below specifically the NT news (a news limited story)

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s3688028.htm

During the UK investigation into the News of the World etc, here's my recollections of Rupert talking about his policies for the slanting of News commentary toward a particular political party. He seemed quite open about it. He said his main concern was not with the particular party being supported or not supported, but that whatever direction of support was taken he was insistent that the direction was totally consistent, across the board. That all commentary had to be slanted to that News Ltd opinion and recommendation of who the voters should support.

It is in News Ltd's interests to swap parties at times, because this makes all parties desperate to please them and do their bidding. Ever wondered why News Ltd has 70% of all newspapers sold in urban Australia? How did that monopoly situation arise?

It is naivety to think that people are not highly influenced (i.e. brainwashed) by being exposed to repetition of the same thoughts. If this was not the case, then advertisers would not bombard us with the same ad many times during the same program. If it was to inform us, then they would just tell us once. They bombard us to entrench the message they want to deliver. And the economics proves this brainwashing works!

lsz said:

The NT NEWS!!! It's influence is limited to barely 100,000 and their abilities to tell the truth always questioned. It is a hick paper in a hick town read by hick readers.

It has no sense of subtlety and is staffed by many that would be hard pressed to know real 'journalism' as apart from 'sensationalism' which is why they make an obvious error like this.

All they know is their market so any attempt to 'lead' the people to views won't work due to the small market and ingrained attitudes it has to work within. Even back 15-odd years ago the paper was at best playing up to the frustrations with certain situations that are regularly talked about, and re-visiting it last year (and noting the attached), nothing has changed.

In essence it again backs my ascertion that it reflects, not leads. Reporting in general was fairly balanced from what I got out of the local news outlets, seemingly mirroring the 'locals' guess of a close election.

Media Watch taking a hit at Darwin media is like shooting fish in a barrel and they could easily produce a 30-min weekly program dedicated to them up there.

Take a look through the site and there are plenty of examples across all media

Hamster Huey said:
lsz said:

The NT NEWS!!! It's influence is limited to barely 100,000 and their abilities to tell the truth always questioned. It is a hick paper in a hick town read by hick readers.

That's right. And don't youse ever forget it. 'Cause if youse set foot anywhere near me property, I'll shoot youse all full of lead.

I still think this was essentially a footy based thread as it was about the poor treatment Manly receive from the MSM.
Any other subjects raised were merely there to illustrate points that it's an accross the board issue, not just Manly fan paranoia.

Outside of yourself duff there wasnt much talk of Manly, this seemed to be the best one to move if people are hellbent on political debate rather than every bloody thread in the league forum being turned into it

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4