News: League Club has $1.3M for Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>Manly Warringah League Club has overcome threats to its existence over the past two years to record a substantial $1.45 million profit for 2008-09 financial year.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4512-league-club-has-13m-for-sea-eagles.html">Read the full article</a>

Totally confusing.  Dire straights one year, flush the next.  What's to believe?  And does the footy team benefit?

Ryan link said:
[quote author=BErKeLEy_eAgLe link=topic=182340.msg250117#msg250117 date=1264582480]
I smell a HUGE signing for 2011

We already have Tony Williams :)
[/quote]

have some faith Ryan, 2008 we were not supposed to be any good either and look what happened then

Too big a turn around versus player turnover imo.
Almost like a bikes power to weight ratio.

We are going from a 250 to a 400
Others are going from a pee wee 80, to an 1100.

Ryan link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=182340.msg250127#msg250127 date=1264586808]
New ownership hey?

Don't confuse them.

EDIT: Sorry guys - not directed at most on this site....
[/quote]

Crickeys dude. Whats up lil buddy. You havent been this fidgety since last off season.

The article is not actually correctly headed as if you read it the mention of 1.3 million is not dollars rather it is shares - giving the leagues club equity.

There has been a long history of the Leagues Club providing a grant to the football side but with private ownership now being the case it makes sense that they get something (equity) in return for the Leagues Club members.

As the money paid for the shares will be for additional shares this means the money will go directly to the Sea Eagles to help them operate (rather than shares being bought from 2 majority private owners and the money going to them)

There are no new owners (the club is owned by the 20,000+ members) of the Leagues club but a new board plus the sales of the premises to clear the debt and of course the huge interest payments would both have been significant factors in seeing the Leagues club return a profit.

There could be a perception of "new ownership" of the Sea Eagles but as they already have a seat on the board it won't see any changes at present to the make up of the Sea Eagles board.

The positives to take from this article is that a profitable Leagues Club means that it will continue to be able to contribute financially to the team whilst also gaining equity for a member based entity.

Good news.

The Manly Daily didn't post the article on their site from yesterday's paper so I did an abreviated version, factually taken from the article done by Avedissian. It is hard to get a line on the financials as they haven't been posted on the LC site as yet.

I stand by the article heading because Bob Reilly says that they have that amount available for MWSE. Whether it will be accepted by MWSE under the proposed terms is another matter. Vid, has the Board ratified Bob's proposal that the LC grant be converted to equity shares?

I have no problem at all with the money being directed into equity, but there are always pros and cons that aren't instantly clear. Despite the legal structures stopping a merger of the LC and FC it is obvious to me that that should be the way it is headed. If that isn't possible then the LC could grant the funds to the FC and they can then use the funds to inject equity into MWSE and increase their percentage holdings.

Where I sit the aim has always been to take back a larger percentage of ownership in MWSE by as broad a fan/investor base as possible. If MWSE doesn't go public, then equity based injections from either the FC or LC seems an appropriate strategy. That is not to say that I would currently have an issue with there being only one owner either.

This sounds like good news for all, The Leagues club will hopefully additionalbenefit from the refurbishment once complete going foward.

MB - thanks for posting the article and I wasn't being critical re the $1.3 Mill reference.

The message that was sent to Leagues club members from Bob Reilly in October last year explained the following:-

"The Board therefore decided on 3 key principles for the future:

1. A base grant of no less than $200,000 should be confirmed for every year
2. Should profitability allow it, the League Club will provide more to the Sea Eagles – up to 50% of total League Club profit (as
    opposed to over 100% over the last 16 years!)
3. Any funds over and above the base grant of $200,000 per year should be in exchange for shares in the Sea Eagles"

My understanding is that the Sea Eagles board have accepted this offer and are comfortable in the equity aspect for the Leagues Club.

I'm just back from a crazy travel schedule so am catching up and once I've cleared my in tray I'll check and get back to you re this and also travel plans for next Sunday for Redfern?
Cheers
Vid

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4