News: Knight's coach bleats in attempt to influence refs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<div class="articleBody" />
<p>KNIGHTS coach Rick Stone says his table-topping team will need to match Manly's in-your-face intimidation in tomorrow's showdown at Brookvale Oval if they are to extend their unbeaten run.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5459-knights-coach-bleats-in-attempt-to-influence-refs.html">Read the full article</a>

Bend em again boys - the old reverse psychology - if these other coaches watched our games over the past 2 years i'm sure they would see we dont win games on favourable decisions!!

I cant believe what im reading - Hayne visiting Newcastle to oversee training sessions and thats not a conflict of interest? Has the NRL completely lost the plot?

I think you'll find all the referees would have spent some time at each of the clubs. I recall last season we had Harrigan and possibly Hayne at training during the off season.

This is just so stupid.  Referees must remain impartial.  Next they'll be on bonding sessions with the boyz.  Or the bus to the game.  Maybe they can all sit with the MWTS group at half time.  The NRL is just becoming so bizarre.   

I don't think it is a impartiality question, it wouldn't be normal training. All that would happen is that the Ref would turn up, watch the players try some play the balls, scrums, tackles etc. And say, 'That ones fine', 'I would ping you for that one', 'That one gets you 10' etc.

Every club should be doing it. It has to be done right, making sure its not just a chance to influence the Ref in question but otherwise I don't see the problem.

The problem as I see it Rusty is that Stone talks about building a 'special relationship' with Hayne.  Just how will this manifest itself on the field is something I am suspicious of.  "I'll just warn them (Newcastle) this time", might be his mantra, when a penalty would come our way for the same offense, seeing as how we don't have a 'special relationship'.  I would have thought that referees would have had a meeting with all coaches and shown them by video or some such, what is required and what can be penalized.  No special deals.  No 'special relationship' building, and keep it impartial would be my focus.  But then, I'm not Goofball Gallop. 

DSM5 link said:
The problem as I see it Rusty is that Stone talks about building a 'special relationship' with Hayne.  Just how will this manifest itself on the field is something I am suspicious of.  \"I'll just warn them (Newcastle) this time\", might be his mantra, when a penalty would come our way for the same offense, seeing as how we don't have a 'special relationship'.  I would have thought that referees would have had a meeting with all coaches and shown them by video or some such, what is required and what can be penalized.  No special deals.  No 'special relationship' building, and keep it impartial would be my focus.  But then, I'm not Goofball Gallop. 

Yeah, I see the issue. It is a fine line, and I guess it depends on the integrity of the Ref, if he can be trusted to offer advice on how the rules will be determined without giving favor it is fine, as soon as it crosses that line there is an issue.

I am not going to rush to say that Refs shouldn't visit clubs and offer advise - especially at this point in the season, but it does need to be transparent, and if it is to be a special relationship, it had better be an equal special relationship with every club.

The trouble is we don't know what fine line Hayne and Stone discussed.  I read that Stone was in the ear about perceptions with our style of play.  It would seem to me that Stone and Hasler should be in any discussion with the refs for the game together, so any lines that the refs are to police are discussed with both of them.  Ergo, no special deals and transparent impartiality. 

"we'll see what sort of relationship we've got with him on Sunday,'' said Stone

Does Stone have a clue? To suggest they have (or want) some sort of relationship with a ref is ridiculous.

Let's hope that Hayne hears of this and becomes more determined to create an equal playing field on Sunday, without his integrity being questioned.

What rules did we actually bend last week that's out of the norm for every other team in the comp?

ALL teams when playing with high levels of intensity could be accused of the same things with regards to being offside (line speed), slowing down the ruck because you've got numbers in there and your aggressive on the ground.

I'm sure we've all been a fair bit surprised by Newcastles early season form but to be honest, I think Rick Stone is pretty much a duche bag!  Still though let him enjoy his last season as an NRL coach.

What was the penatly count today?  Did we actually win it?  We seemed to be on the right end of all the nitpicking penalties which was a nice suprise.

8-7 to them i think.  4 of theirs were from scrum penalties and being in front of the kicker.  I wonder how many of ours were from high tackles?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6