News: Kiwis name Matai, Foran & T-Rex

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>Kiwis centre Steve Matai has been named in a 43-strong Four Nations train-on squad despite facing a minimal seven-week ban for a reckless high tackle.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5129-kiwis-name-matai-foran-a-t-rex.html">Read the full article</a>

Re: News: Kiwis name Matai, Foran & T-Rex

do you think des and matai would have  asked kearney to select him in the squad regardless of suspension?you would think so.

im not sure the nrl will run with matai serving 4 games though the test series though.this is a 42 man train on squad,not the 4 nations squad.interesting question.

I'm not sure how it works, but you might find that when they actually name their squad he will be suspended and therefore ruled ineligible and not selected!!

Hopefully he still can be, he is an incumbent after all. If all their matches count it would be fantastic for us, but a bit of a farce really!!

Good for us.  Well done Kearney.  Don't hate him so much after this.

Yeah hopefully they count towards the suspension. Then it will only hopefully be a couple games missed at the start of the year.

In my opinion NRL suspensions shouldn't count towards tests anyway. It should be separate. Same as Origin. If your suspended in an NRL match, you should still be able to play Origin / Tests. My opinion only though.

Stiffi link said:
I'm not sure how it works, but you might find that when they actually name their squad he will be suspended and therefore ruled ineligible and not selected!!

Hopefully he still can be, he is an incumbent after all. If all their matches count it would be fantastic for us, but a bit of a farce really!!

I don't think it's a farce at all. Matai would be the first center selected in the Kiwi team. Why should he miss these games as well as Manly games? If it's just an NRL suspension then he should be allowed to play for the Kiwis, if he is not allowed then the games he misses for the Kiwis should count towards his suspension. If these games don't count towards the 7 games suspension then he is effectively being suspended for 11 games.

between that, the final and the trials he could be back for week one. 

Didn't he get suspended for his love tap on gaznier whilst playing for the Kiwis, and I think he missed club games for that so it is only right that it works the other way around.  I reckon people like Kearney know that Matai get a rough deal from the nrl on top of the fact that he is one of if not the best Kiwi centre.  Not sure if Foran will be fit to play, hate to think he injures himself further playing test footie.

Just read the below from Foxsports   

With New Zealand now unable to select the 26-year-old as part of their squad, he will not be eligible to use the Four Nations as part of his suspension.

He is now likely to miss the opening five games of next season plus two official trial matches.

Yeah how typical, if it had been a blue eyed Aussie boy then not a problem but stuff the Kiwis, pathetic

it just opens a can of worms really. The possible conflict on interests is huge. Club coaches that have rep teams could be fiddling it big time. As much as i hate to say it steve needs to do the time, tough it out so he learns a little more control. He will be a better player as a result

jbb/james link said:
He will be a better player as a result

Garbage. If it was the first time it had happened you might have a point, but he is a many times repeat offender, and he will do it again, its just the way he is

5 weeks out next year.f...ing great.

when will this post 08 nightmare end.

I agree that knocking Matai out of the 4 nations means in effect an 11 week suspension, it is an anomaly that our club should consider challenging.

As for any games he misses early next year, what a great incentive for a huge off-season for Whare. He might have the spot nailed down by the time Matai returns.

Suspension should be a date, not a number of games.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
I agree that knocking Matai out of the 4 nations means in effect an 11 week suspension, it is an anomaly that our club should consider challenging.

As for any games he misses early next year, what a great incentive for a huge off-season for Whare. He might have the spot nailed down by the time Matai returns.
Exactly, if it had been thurston, slater, hayne etc this would never happen.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:

i was thinking the same thing  if whare plays  solidly while matai`s on the sidelines could be hard for matai to get that spot back,  he might have to play off the bench in the forwards either that or when he comes back whare on the wing & trex  off the bench into the forwards..

they should count as he would have been a walk up start for the kiwis - but as someone mentioned earlier there are a few positives.

he will be fresher towards back end of next year and hopefully sitting out games will teach him a lesson.

Stiffi link said:
Just read the below from Foxsports   

With New Zealand now unable to select the 26-year-old as part of their squad, he will not be eligible to use the Four Nations as part of his suspension.

He is now likely to miss the opening five games of next season plus two official trial matches.

What genius decided this?  Gallop again?

Matai would be selected for NZ except for the suspension, so obviously those are games he's missing through suspension. They must count.

What next?  Manly can't select him because he's suspended and so they aren't able to use NRL games (missed because of the suspension) as part of his suspension?

If his suspension through test duty is served in NRL games, then clearly the reverse must apply.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4