News: Joey’s nod of approval for Foran

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
More from Adam Lucius @ sportal.com.au

'Joey' put the club's potential No.7s through a master class this week and came away convinced 18-year-old Foran was capable of handling the step up despite playing just a handful of NRL games in 2009.

Trent Hodkinson and Daly Cherry-Evans will also trial in Orford's position but are unlikely to unseat Foran, who made his international debut for the Kiwis during the recent Four Nations tournament.

Foran has played all his senior football at five-eighth but Johns says the switch to half-back won't prove a problem.

"There's not much difference these days, it's just a number on their backs," he said.

"I think Kieran Foran is an outstanding player. So is Trent Hodkinson."

"Cherry-Evans is a good player, too. They have all got an opportunity sooner than they thought and they are all ready."

"Manly is a strong club and playing behind a strong forward pack will help them out."

Former Sea Eagles half-back Phil Blake is another Foran fan, labelling him the perfect replacement for the UK-bound Orford.

"I totally agree with what Joey said about the kid. He is tough and tenacious and physically he will more than handle the step up," Blake told Sportal.

"I think it's good timing for a change of the guard at Manly. Matt Orford was great for the club and brought a lot to the table as a player and skipper and now this young kid gets his chance."

"He's fortunate that his got some hardheads around him in 'Choc' Watmough and Glenn Stewart. That will help make it a smooth transition."

if there is not much difference then why did a 300 gamer in lockyer look like a QRL reject at half?

How many games has Lockyer played at half ?? 1 from memory, with Tonie Carroll at 6. Hardly a compelling argument. I wouldn't discount Lockyers ability on the back of one game. The number of games that others have made a reasonable fist of playing both positions would be in the hundreds.

LEt's just hope Johns wasn't seeing double after snorting a line when he was running the rule over our prospects.  Really, the club should have nothing to do with the cretin.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6