News: It's Official - Hodgo gone to the Dogs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
AS if a CEO would come out and say that they were looking to poach a half from some other team. In terms of signings, most would keep their cards very close to their chests. It wouldn't surprise me if we ended up with Kimmorley for a year or two.

Canteen Worker link said:
AS if a CEO would come out and say that they were looking to poach a half from some other team. In terms of signings, most would keep their cards very close to their chests. It wouldn't surprise me if we ended up with Kimmorley for a year or two.

It would surprise me a great deal, and anger me even more. Even if he was the best player in the world and would win us 5 grand finals I would still not want him in manly colors again.

I was there when he left, and like Dan I was at the game the next time he returned, and I would be happy to never see him again at brookvale.

Daly Cherry-Evans & Gary Riccardi are both viable options to fill the vacant halfback spot next year.
I can't see Manly forking out money for Cronk, if we couldn't afford to retain Hodkinson and i know we wanted too, then we can't afford to sign Cronk.

Cherry-Evans had a good combination with Kieran in Toyota Cup last year.
Riccardi has been very solid this year and has plenty of try assists to his name.
I was a little upset we lost Hodkinson, however i would have been more upset if we lost Foran.

I think Des is still concentrating on winning the title this year so i believe Hodkinson will continue to be given first shot at halfback. We might see Cherry-Evans creep onto the bench if we start winning a few games in a row.

codewana link said:
I dunno Rusty... 5 grand finals in one or two years - I think I'd take it!

Yeah, fair point. Although more then a few people would accuse us of cheating I am sure.

Rusty link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=183589.msg266708#msg266708 date=1276645201]

It would surprise me a great deal, and anger me even more. Even if he was the best player in the world and would win us 5 grand finals I would still not want him in manly colors again.

I was there when he left, and like Dan I was at the game the next time he returned, and I would be happy to never see him again at brookvale.
[/quote]

I remember when we had Orford as a new starter and the NE went out and spent money like a drunken sailor and bought Kimmorely for around $500k back in 2000.  Then he didn't work out under Sharpe and we then paid top dollar for Orford from Melbourne who had snapped up Orford when he came onto the market.

I think we should now entertain the idea of picking him back up at the right price or even Orford for that matter.  But again I stress - the right price for a year or two.

As managers of the club they cannot overlook any possibility.

I for one feel that TH should now be punted.  If you don't want to play for Manly.  Then just go!

I canont believe some of you are calling for Hodko to be dropped.  That is only going to upset team harmony.  The players dont want to see their mate dropped because he made a decision to go elsewhere, they all know league is a business and players come and go.  If Hodko is the best half we have he should be picked. 

Without giving someone else a run ie dropping TH then we dont know if he is the best half at the club

Yes we do.  DCE is playing for SCE, I am sure Des and the rest of the coaching team know which one is more capable based on how he is going there.  If Hodko is playing ordinary then I am all for DCE getting a run but to only give him a run because Hodko is signing elsewhere is stupidity. 

Garts link said:
I canont believe some of you are calling for Hodko to be dropped.  That is only going to upset team harmony.  The players dont want to see their mate dropped because he made a decision to go elsewhere, they all know league is a business and players come and go.  If Hodko is the best half we have he should be picked. 
gartz  mate why do we want to give him nrl experience to take to the dogs , we need to look at our future bring DCE  in & give him the experience .. what are we going to do next year.. blood a newbie who should already have 12games under his belt going into next year...

Manly have always picked the best side to run onto the paddock, irrespective of what is going to happen in the next year. We want to win the comp and only the top team will manage that. I am in full support of that principle.

Manly have always picked the best side to run onto the paddock, irrespective of what is going to happen in the next year. We want to win the comp and only the top team will manage that. .
...lol is that why against storm & titans we only used 3 players from the bench the whole 2games??? 16players.. is that why bailey keeps getting picked???.. we need to think about next year..

jjai link said:
[quote author=Garts link=topic=183589.msg266736#msg266736 date=1276656664]
gartz  mate why do we want to give him nrl experience to take to the dogs , we need to look at our future bring DCE  in & give him the experience .. what are we going to do next year.. blood a newbie who should already have 12games under his belt going into next year...
[/quote]

So you are prepared to write off this year?

Maybe DCE needs some more experience playing against men in the Qld cup.  If a player is rushed into the top grade it could put him even further back.  His season in the Qld cup might put him in a great position for next year.  Much like Hodko did last year. 

I will trust the coaching staff to do the right thing.  Thankfully Des has not given up on this year like some here are prepared to do.  The best team must be picked week in week out irrespective of where some players are going next year. 

Garts link said:

I'd have to agree, Garts. Most of the players in the team have all had to make decisions about their career leaving other clubs to join Manly.

I was speaking to a very prominant official of the Parra club and asked him what his reaction was to letting one of his up-and-comers go last year. He said he hated the fact, but in the end he told the player it was an offer to good to refuse (Parra couldn't keep him under the salary cap), and he'd be mad not take it. THe official even offered to pay the taxi fare down to the opposition club.

I personally think the weight will be off TH's shoulders and we may see some fairly impressive stuff coming from...and if Des believes we are a showing this year he will keep TH at half...or until injury strikes TH and someone else is given a shot. History shows, this is the only way Des drops a player; when the player drops themselves through injury.

its not that im writing them off garts  , im just not as confident as i was, say after the saints win ..& even the parra loss..didnt worry me as much.. its just the 2 performances  since the bye & trents about turn(what ever happend to i like the place & ppl at the club ,manly gave me a chance i`d like to repay them) have kinda f%%%%kn soured it for me ... i know we beat cowboys just.. but the next week they were flogged by tigers or might have been souths .... if he is going to keep playing he needs to spark us in attack  like he did in the 1st 8 rounds..

From what i have seen of Hodkinson he is a steady halfback. Seems to have a lot of time and has a good long kicking game. But his attacking options are lacking and he is certainly not a player of $800,000 worth. His selection in the city team would have raised his price remarkably. He can be replaced.
Foran has been alot more dominate of the two halves and is a much better prospect IMO.
next year i would like to see
7. Foran
6. Lyon

Garts link said:
Maybe DCE needs some more experience playing against men in the Qld cup.  If a player is rushed into the top grade it could put him even further back.  His season in the Qld cup might put him in a great position for next year.  Much like Hodko did last year. 

I will trust the coaching staff to do the right thing.  Thankfully Des has not given up on this year like some here are prepared to do.  The best team must be picked week in week out irrespective of where some players are going next year. 

I agree with your above thoughts regarding DCE.  At the moment, I still don't think that he is ready to step up just yet as he is only just finding the pace of the QLD Cup comp.  That competition finishes at the end of August (not including the finals series if the SCSE make it that far) so it may be worthwhile to wait until then before bringing him up to firsts then if he is required to replace Hodko.

I bet he'll come cheaper than the Beagle days.  But I hope not.  Who needs a grubby mercenary?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2