News: How Manly led Matt Orford to Canberra

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>CANBERRA landed their third big off-season signing in veteran halfback Matt Orford yesterday - and it turns out rivals Manly unwittingly inspired the playmaker's NRL second coming.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5313-how-manly-led-matt-orford-to-canberra.html">Read the full article</a>

The whisper I heard is a member of our forum was emailing, ringing and texting don and Dave furner urging them to sign ox.

Dsm5 were you that scare our CEO may have found money to sign your little "mate" ha ha

I'm no Ox hater but I really doubt how effective he'll be next season. The bloke was good in his prime & unfortunately never got his rep career going thanks to injuries but he's a bit past it now.

He'll still have the chronic groin injuries that plagued him through 08 & badly in 09 not to mention the shoulder injury he picked up last year playing for Bradford.

Is his body even going to hold up for two years?

He'll go well behind the dominant forwards that Canberra have at the moment.

Ox is absolultely devastating with a good forward pack,circa 2007/08 manly

The raiders slot in behind us at 4th

1 Titans
2 Easts
3 Manly
4 Raiders
5 Dogs
6 Melbourne
7 Penrith
8 Warriors

9 Saints

Saints are essentially 9th because in my view with lost players
they could still easily slot into the finals,but they will need luck

The rest of the bottom 8 is self explanatory

DSM5 link said:
Canberra will not make the top eight.

They have a heap of good players mate. They also have forwards like Learoyd-Lahrs, Brett White, Allan Tongue, David Shillington, Dane Tilse, and a good core group of under-rated young guys coming through like Thurling, Thompson, Miller, Kennedy & Buttris.

Then, they added Ferguson to replace Monaghan. They added Ox. They added Galea for depth last year.

Don't write them off too early. Full strength, they are energy personified. They are getting very close to being competitors.  

EDIT: They also have a major sponsor I believe - LOL - had to chuck that in there.

Darren link said:
Raiders pack better than ours 4 sure!

I think Choc (27), Rodney (27) and G Stewart (26) are potentially the best backrow rotation in the entire NRL, and that's without bias (Remember I used to talk up The Dogs pack years ago).

It's the bench + props that is the worry. If Des can get the mix right, we could be good there also. We need to bring in youth like you say, and I personally believe we need:-

Buhrer (21)
Cunningham (20)
Williams (22) - as a very mobile damaging prop
Rose (26) - at peak fitness

Then have Kite (29) / King (29) as the veterans showing them the way.

We'd then only have 2 players over 27. 27 year olds should be at their peak. We are also bringing along youth.

I'd actually have Galuvao just as a fill in for injury. We'd be very mobile as well. I also believe that would be a great system - like Canberra's - up tempo type

What I believe should be the bench

Liam Foran - would have the ability to play halves or at hooker
Williams - Wide running Backrower much in the same role as Frank Pritchard but with a higher workrate
Cross - only one I'm a bit iffy about but Dessie will pick him
Rose - A few games last year he was one of our best in terms of metres gained. Getting close to over 100m in a few.

The metre's gained for a prop should be very important imo (like an opening batsman in the cricket) if the guy's that are starting aren't getting over 100m every game they should be demoted to the bench

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2