1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News: Hasler: Make field wider

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by ManlyBacker, Mar 29, 2011.

1. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    <p>Manly coach Des Hasler has proposed widening the width of rugby league fields in a bid to cut down on the number of collision-related injuries decimating the NRL's playing ranks.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5471-hasler-make-field-wider.html">Read the full article</a>

2. jbb/james

jbb/james Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +885 / 21
    he is really getting it out there lately. Definately worth consideration however I cant see all stadiums able to accomodate it

3. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    A clash of ideas.

The cheating scum storm coach makes his field shorter....its just he doesnt let anyone know about it.

4. Phantar

Phantar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273 / 0
    Des's demeanour seems much more relaxed this year than the last two years. Appears to be rubbing off on the players too. Can't imagine why!

5. jbb/james

jbb/james Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +885 / 21
    good observation phantar, he does

6. Technical Coach

Technical Coach Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +863 / 45
    This is not the answer---i mean you could reduce each team by one or two players having the same affect without increasing the dimensions----a silly simple lack of thought idea not worth printing.

Interchanges increases intensity---increased intensity increases the amount of high impact tackles due to a fresh stream of players every 20min.

You either reduce the interchange forcing teams to pace themselves more lowering the overall intensity or increase the numbers on the bench that can be interchanged to compensate for the higher intensity that the current interchange levels allow.

7. Napa

Napa Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gee, you're a fan of Dessie's work aren't you???  :eek:

8. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,793 / 122
    You really don't understand Des's sense of humour, do you?

9. Phantar

Ratings:
    +273 / 0
    Wonder if Warren Ryan will pick up on it on the weekend?

That is Ryan has been banging on for years about opening the game up by reducing the number of players in each team by two.

Maybe TC is really Warren Ryan?

10. Frogz

Frogz Don't mess with the goat, he has photos. Premium Member

Sydney, Australia
    Ratings:
    +1,389 / 36
    Why do we even comment on **** like this....Yes Dessie widen Brookie up to the seated area on teh hill.

F@rk me our media manager is right up there

11. Phantar

Ratings:
    +273 / 0
    Umm...yeahhh...

12. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    Canberra won't agree to this... Orford will never find touch.

13. Phantar

Ratings:
    +273 / 0
    Maybe they could graft Mal Meninga's legs onto Matty's torso?

14. The Eagle

The Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 0
    Maybe they could graft Mal Meninga's legs onto Matty's torso?
    [/quote]

For the dogs its still not enough,they need 10 metres wider and 20 longer to contain hodkos horrid kicks

I think des has lost it with this one

15. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0
    I think Des is showing the RL is not a static set of rules and the we shouldn't be afraid of new ideas. Sure this one might not be a great idea, but the fact that he is throwing around ideas is positive, shows he and the team are not going to be as insular as last year, that they are more relaxed and importantly they have a sense of humor.

I can only hope that it rubs of on the on the field performances, I remember 2008 when it looked like the players were loving every minute of the game, they were enjoying playing and every time one of them would achieve anything the whole team would celebrate. It is starting to feel that way again, and that it a very good sign.

16. dowdz

dowdz Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +853 / 5
    It's a contact sport and theses things will happen. The guys are getting bigger, stronger and faster so the hits will hurt more. Maybe reducing the inter change is the way to try combat it if at all possible.

17. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,793 / 122
    I think Rusty's point is spot on. A lot of that may be due to the fact Brett Stewart's case is done and dusted and he is back on the field. I've no doubt that the stress Brett went through had far more effect on the team than simply missing his on-field brilliance. I think the current enjoyment of playing is reflected in the attitude to defence, and it augers well for a very successful season.

18. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,837 / 103
    Des' idea has merit, although not as practical as the idea of reducing teams to 12 men (which was suggested yesterday on an earlier post by some genius).

He is thinking laterally, and should be commended.

19. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    Why not switch the way we play put the try lines down the side and have them run across the field instead of end to end

20. Central Coast Eagle

Central Coast Eagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 2
    Gee, you're a fan of Dessie's work aren't you???  :eek:
    [/quote]

Maybe TC is actually Petee Sharp and still mad Des took his job and is doing a fantastic job of it.