News: Gallop declares war over TV rights

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>THE NRL is ready to begin a billion-dollar bidding war with the AFL for television rights.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4843-gallop-declares-war-over-tv-rights.html">Read the full article</a>

Don't **** it this time, like you did on the last one Gallop. Don't roll over for your News cronies like you have in the past...

To state the obvious, this is soooo soooo crucial. Our game is such a massive TV product, and it deserves big money..

Knowing Gallop instead of taking a baseball bat to the fight he will take a wet lettuce leaf.

DSM is right he is not the man for this

The Wheel link said:
Knowing Gallop instead of taking a baseball bat to the fight he will take a wet lettuce leaf.

DSM is right he is not the man for this

**** all those other stations i reckon ABC tv should have the rights.. yeah he got no balls he wont fight for nothing .. he is a puppet used by news limited..
ex cricketer  running league  ::)

jjai link said:
F**k all those other stations i reckon ABC tv should have the rights.. yeah he got no balls he wont fight for nothing .. he is a puppet used by news limited..

The ABC is not in the position that the commercial networks are in to bid for the rights.

Jatz Crackers link said:
[quote author=jjai link=topic=183495.msg265270#msg265270 date=1275609720]
F**k all those other stations i reckon ABC tv should have the rights.. yeah he got no balls he wont fight for nothing .. he is a puppet used by news limited..

The ABC is not in the position that the commercial networks are in to bid for the rights.
[/quote]

its government owned its should have more pull than all of them.. but i know your right.. its because they dont go big on advertisements.. for them to get nrl they would have to have more commercials on that network ..

I wont be suprised if we see League coverage split up over several channels this time around.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see channel 7 have a massive play to take the lot from 9.

Flip link said:
I wont be suprised if we see League coverage split up over several channels this time around.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see channel 7 have a massive play to take the lot from 9.

it use to work well with ABC getting slice of the pie too.

However I don't know how it would work with the draw, we may end up with the 5 weeks in advanced crap we have now

OK Gallop.  Do your phony baloney job and negotiate hard this time.  Rather than bend over backwards to accommodate News.

Get professional negotiators in to do this deal.  Stay out of it you will only screw it up IMO.

Suggest the following should be non-negotiable:

120% above the AFL deal as it rates at least 20% better than where they kick behinds.  If AFL negotiates a better deal the NRL would then get a rise in accordance with the AFL + 120%.

Length of deal should be a 3 x 3.  Option only to be applied if the NRL agrees and wouldn't require other parties to agree.

Payments should at least factor in inflation +3% per annum.

A payment structure linked to ratings.  If ratings are higher the payment also goes higher.  If ratings go lower payments should have a floor where they will go no lower than the yearly set amount.

All News sports reports should lead with NRL stories first rather than AFL stories as they do at the moment.

A dedicated rugby league channel running 24 x 7 on the FOX network rather than having to share with union and ARL.  Or if 7, 9 or 10 get the majority a HD channel dedicated entirely to rugby league.  This would include all Toyota cup games, QLD cup, Sydney cup and country matches as well.

All Toyota cup games should be televised or replayed rather than just two.

If 7, 9 or 10 get the deal or part of it.  These stations in all areas (including Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth) should be made to telecast NRL etc at the same time i.e. Friday nights and Sunday afternoons.

I would like to see the draw set in stone at the start of the season with all sides featuring in a mixture of Friday night and Sunday TV games as well as Monday night. Set the draw up to have traditional teams and grudge matches played in a staggered way so that games are attractive no matter where teams asit on the table.

Canteen Worker link said:
I would like to see the draw set in stone at the start of the season with all sides featuring in a mixture of Friday night and Sunday TV games as well as Monday night. Set the draw up to have traditional teams and grudge matches played in a staggered way so that games are attractive no matter where teams asit on the table.

I wanna  be your love child with those comments!!

Everyone thinks it's a pain in the bum to not know 5 weeks in advance.... but think of it from my angle for the away game Supportahs tours...fair dinkum it's enough to pull what little hair I have left out of head....it's understandable when it's Semi Final times, BUT the rest of the year should be like the AFL......layed out in advance of season kick off!!

Mark from Brisbane link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=183495.msg265317#msg265317 date=1275627976]

I wanna  be your love child with those comments!!

Everyone thinks it's a pain in the bum to not know 5 weeks in advance.... but think of it from my angle for the away game Supportahs tours...fair dinkum it's enough to pull what little hair I have left out of head....it's understandable when it's Semi Final times, BUT the rest of the year should be like the AFL......layed out in advance of season kick off!!
[/quote]

Not knowing when the games are on until 5 weeks before is just ridiculous.

I heard Gus saying it's fine and so on, which it probably is if you live in a city, however trying to get a cheap flight 5 weeks out in any regional place is next to impossible

I hope that one day the NRL could simply create its own channel, imagine 24/7 coverage of the NRL with all games being shown live.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8