News: Gallop calls Stewart "Mr Double Demerit"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>NRL chief executive David Gallop has taken a stand on 'unprofessional' behaviour Brett Stewart has been branded "Mr Double Demerit" as the NRL took its toughest-ever stance to save rugby league's battered image after a decade of scandal. Making no apologies for personally intervening to have Stewart stood down for the next four weeks, NRL chief executive David Gallop said the Manly full-back had paid the ultimate price because he had failed in his role as the NRL's face of 2009. A desire to end the annual cycle of drama that precedes each season also played a large part in Stewart becoming only the second player in NRL history forcibly benched by the game's top official.</p><p> "Players shouldn't need to be told that the last weekend before the start of the season is double demerit weekend," Gallop said. "Brett Stewart had a big responsibility to the code and he is now Mr Double Demerit." Gallop's stern action came as research by The Daily Telegraph laid bare the full extent of the NRL's ongoing battle with alcohol-fuelled bad behaviour. In the last 10 years the code has been rocked by at least 80 separate incidents involving booze. </p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/Sea-Eagles/gallop-calls-stewart-qmr-double-demeritq.html">Read the full article</a>

Re: News: Gallop calls Stewart

Can you believe this freak?  Double demerit points?  Was this edict sent to all players?  I imagine not.  Just where does Gallop get off?  This whole reaction reeks of someone trying to hard for a job in Canberra at the Sports Commission. 
I just refuse to comment on the, 'shock horror', 80 separate booze incidents over the last TEN years.  Just how many players have passed through the game in the last ten years?  Canceled my subscription. 

If it's a double demerit weekend you need to inform all players Gallop, you gutless turd.

I like to call Gallop "Mr Two Face" or "Mr Double Standards" or just plain "Arse Clown"......

Re: News: Gallop calls Stewart \

So why hasn't choc earned any points then. If he was charged for assault I'd bet they would have suspended him too. Gallop reckons it has nothing to do with Brett Charge. BS I reckon if the only thing that happened on the night was Brett getting refused service none of this crap would be going on.

I'd love to see what happened if the RTA just randomly decided to do double demerit weekends without informing people about it. I'm not sure he's been thinking before he opens his mouth of late.

Missing something - agree my thoughts entirely.

Did Mr Gallop have this issue about double demerits etc clearly spoken and agreed understanding with Brett Stewart and Greg Inglis and their parties as to what he expected and what would result from infringements of the rubbery code?

Of course its a great privilege that the League were extending to Inglis and Stewart as "faces" of the campaign - but it also carried even greater pressure, a subject which Joey Johns can tell about.
Try being a rock star and see where your head ends up....not in reality street I can tell you for most people. Stewie must have already had his overwhelming share of "rockstardom" to carry/deal with before this "privilege" from Mr Gallop. In my opinion he needed it like a hole in the head...an unwanted distraction.

And were Inglis and Stewart paid anything to carry this extra pressure/privilege - or did they sign anything and have the conditions made perfectly clear? If not then Mr Gallop is on thin ice with his principles aired yesterday.

Agreed brookiegreg.  Gallop appears to be making the rules up as he goes.  As Brett has been described by him as 'the face of league', what contractural agreements were entered into for Brett to assume this role?  If Mimis hasn't squeezed the lemon on this one I'd be surprised.  Gallop was always a miserable small town lawyer type with a large ego, so I'd be very surprised if anything he's saying has been passed by the NRL's in house legal counsel, whoever that might be.   

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6