News: Fuming Eagles snubbed by Channel 9

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>MANLY chief executive Graham Lowe is fed up and irate at Channel 9's scheduling of NRL games, describing it as "insulting, unbalanced and unacceptable".</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4686-fuming-eagles-snubbed-by-channel-9.html">Read the full article</a>

I thought this was BS myself.

I was actually just talking to a mate a couple of days ago.. saying that surely 4 channel 9 games to start the season is a record for last years wooden spooners???

I remeber seeing the ratings and we were 6th or so last year so certainly should not be less than average.

Scheduling is a joke. Obviously the secret is to finish last and have well connected board members in order to maximise your free to air exposure. No wonder it is so hard to attract sponsors when you have the Channel 9 clowns dictating who gets the prime time exposure. I can only assume that someone at Channel 9 is also on the board of Steggles.

Another reason the independant administration can't come soon enough. We need to break this PBL/ Foxtel / News Ltd broadcast cartel.

It is simple, the NRl should be setting the draw not TV stations, New idea, Daily Telegraph or whoever.  Another reason Gallop should be hung drawn & quartered over his negoiation of the last tv contract

Did you hear on the roast, Gus Gould etc saying he thinks its fine the way it is. They just dont think of fans and the certainly dont think of regional fans.

Gus is so closed minded he thinks that every where in queensland is just a short drive away, since he says there should be a Sydney Conference and a Regional conference as that would be more fair to everyone.

BS it will, does he not realise the distance between say Townsville and the Gold Coast or Melbourne and Canberra as well as they would be part of the regional conference.

Idiots

Oh and that other idiot who says he can get a cheap flight out easily 5 weeks before a game. That may be true from Sydney to melbourne or Brisbane, but from other regional centres you need to be in months early to get a cheap flight

They don't give a stuff about the fan because they know we're rusted onto their product.  They think they have a monopoly and so they think they can do as they please.

IT's an arrogant stance and it could be undone.  Dan, maybe this weekend we should have a chat about that little idea of mine.

As for Ch9 exposure, I think it's over rated.  Commercial TV has jumped the shark.  I know people wring hands that our sponsor don't get exposure, but it's a nonsense.  I don't watch football to look at sponsors badges, am quite oblivious to sponsors unless they're a product I despise or if they sponsor a team I dislike, in which case I boycott them.  I know Steggles sponsor the Roosters, but only because I know first hand of their cruelty to animals, and it's ironic that the Chooks would want to have that monstrous brand emblazoned on them. 

Yep I heard Gus Dan, it is not easy trying to sort time off work and an International flight within a few weeks of the event

I liked the theory behind his conference idea, although I wouldn't want to see it come into fruition. The idea of Manly playing their biggest traditional rivals twice a year does appeal and would probably be a good thing for crowds

Gould's conference idea doesn't go far enough.  Seeing as the NRL wants to be the NFL they should look to their geographical division system to build intense rivalries that are meaningful far beyond just history.  Look at the brilliant and intense rivalry created by something like the NFC East where every game between Divisional teams is brutal and anticipated - Giants, Eagles, Redskins, Cowboys.  Similar in NFC North - Vikings, Packers, Lions, Bears etc.

Split the comp into 4 Divisions and with some much-needed rationalisation (eg drop a struggling Sydney club or two) you would have a fantastic Conference system.  Top two teams from each division go through to the finals, which means divisional games are nearly worth 4 points, rather than 2.

Qld Division: Broncos, Titans, Cowboys, 4th Queensland side (Crushers)
Northern Division: Knights, Central Coast Rabbits, Sea Eagles, Eels
Southern Division: Roosters, Bulldogs, Dragons, Tigers
Territory Division: Storm, Warriors, Raiders, Panthers

Alternatively if there's no 4th Queensland team:

Northern Division: Broncos, Titans, Cowboys, Knights
Eastern Division: Sea Eagles, Central Coast, Roosters, Rabbits
Western Division: Panthers, Eels, Bulldogs, Tigers
Southern Division: Storm, Warriors, Raiders, Dragons

Matabele link said:

No room for the CC Sharks anywhere?

TokyoEagle link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=182880.msg257796#msg257796 date=1270122890]

No room for the CC Sharks anywhere?
[/quote]They're in Eastern.

What a joke! what pisses me off the most is that The Dragons get 9 thats 9 F**in games for coverage and we get one!FFS mand the fact we have 4 monday night games in the opening 10 rounds i mean cmon,what a rort!

also the article says "Lowe was also furious St George Illawarra will have Friday night exposure over the first six rounds and not play in the daytime heat for the first seven games"
This is a big advantage for the dragons not playing in the heat,wait till they get a sunday arvo game in this heat and we will see how they go,FFS after reading this im not impressed at all.

By the time Saints get an afternoon game it will be the cool of mid-autumn. They probably will have daytime games during winter so they don't get too cold.

I understand people dont have and/or dont want Fox, but I couldnt care less if we didnt have a ch9game all year. The coverage is crap, and replayed, which is just pathetic for the games broadcaster. A game goes for 80min not 2hrs!! and the ad breaks etc aaarrgghhh. Live games should be the norm.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6