News: Finch not coming but Ox to re-sign

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>MANLY CEO Grant Mayer had dismissed talk Melbourne Storm five-eighth Brett Finch is poised to join the Sea Eagles in 2010, revealing halfback and captain Matt Orford is “not too far away” from a contract extension. </p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/3948-finch-not-coming-but-ox-to-re-sign.html">Read the full article</a>

YES ! I'm pumped ! Go The Ox !

06. Bailey
07. Orford

A year under their belts together - BOOM !

God I wonder how much we are forking out for him. If it's anywhere near what we are paying him now then someone needs a kick up the date. Hopefully they have installed KPI's on his new contract, number one should be "5th tackle options will resemble those of a seasoned NRL halfback"

I'm happy, he's a true professional and always try's 100%.

Also a good leader as captain.

Why would I be sucking **** Cliffy?  I don't play alongside the dwarf.  I'm not paid to beg him to kick the ball more than ten metres.  I just pay the twenty odd dollars to see him dither and fall apart at the line.  It'll give me years of sticking it up your arse anyway. 

I wonder if we might see ox move to the forwards next year in particular if the Le Stranger leaves. Ox could be filling more of a mentor role for Foran.

DSM5 link said:
Why would I be sucking S**t Cliffy?  I don't play alongside the dwarf.  I'm not paid to beg him to kick the ball more than ten metres.  I just pay the twenty odd dollars to see him dither and fall apart at the line.  It'll give me years of sticking it up your arse anyway.  

He's a dwarf, but has an amazingly successful sporting career. Seriously.

Chip & Chase, when you say KPI's, do you mean:
a) Captain your team? Check
b) Play finals football consistently? Check
c) Win Grand Finals? Check
d) Win Dally M player of the year awards? Check
e) Single handedly at times win us games? Check
and before you ask:-
i Field goal against Melbourne Storm 2007
ii Field goal against Paramatta SCG 2006
iii Try from scrumbase against Knights Marathon 2007

a) Ok so he is Captain, can't begrudge him that. I'd only consider Kite or Lyon as possible alternatives (in terms of experience) and I can only surmise neither of them want the job
b) Your idea of consistent finals footy isn't the same yardstick I apply. Sure Ox has been there when we've won finals games and he probably had a hand in a few of them as well. But he has hardly been a dominant force from what I've seen. We creamed last years finals on the back of one J Lyon mainly.
c) Yes he won a Grand Final, also lost one. So did 16 other guys.
d) Yes he won a Dally M award, in a year where all the usual suspects got injured or suspended. How did Mr consistent poll in 2007 ? didn't even figure in the top 10. Don't begrudge him the award, good on him for winning it, but he was hardly the best footballer in the NRL last year IMO.
e) So he has won us 3 games in 3 years. Congratulations. How many do you think Thurston, Prince, Lockyer et al have single handedly pulled off in that time ? How many games has Orford cost us in that time with poor kicking options and headless chook plays under pressure.

Look, you love Orford, I don't. I just think he is too inconsistent and isn't a "controller" of the game. You don't get a reputation of tightening up under pressure from nowhere. If he is so good why hasn't he played SOO or for Australia ? Surely the reigning Dally M player would be a certainty for his position in SOO, they couldn't pick a guy with about a fifth of his experience who has never won a premiership....could they ?? Well they have and will continue to do so because the selectors don't rate him. The fact that Wallace, Mullen, and Pearce are all ahead of him in representative consideration speaks volumes.

If we've resigned him then fine, I'll live with it, but I'd rather see money spent on the future, which Orford isn't. Unless by some miracle he develops some consistency. He tries hard, I'll give him that much, but he's not worth $400-450K a year

By the way here is your expert opinion on Bailey after Round 5,

http://www.silvertails.net/forums/topic,180002.msg218827/#msg218827

2465274. Chris Bailey. I claimed he was a hack very early on. Normally - I am very wrong in my assessment of players. Bailey may be my saving grace. NOT 1st grade standard. You'll find teams he plays in the 1/2's for, tend to lose about as much as Manly WINS with Brett Stewart.

Now he's the next saviour.

Chip & Chase link said:
a) Ok so he is Captain, can't begrudge him that. I'd only consider Kite or Lyon as possible alternatives (in terms of experience) and I can only surmise neither of them want the job
b) Your idea of consistent finals footy isn't the same yardstick I apply. Sure Ox has been there when we've won finals games and he probably had a hand in a few of them as well. But he has hardly been a dominant force from what I've seen. We creamed last years finals on the back of one J Lyon mainly.
c) Yes he won a Grand Final, also lost one. So did 16 other guys.
d) Yes he won a Dally M award, in a year where all the usual suspects got injured or suspended. How did Mr consistent poll in 2007 ? didn't even figure in the top 10. Don't begrudge him the award, good on him for winning it, but he was hardly the best footballer in the NRL last year IMO.
e) So he has won us 3 games in 3 years. Congratulations. How many do you think Thurston, Prince, Lockyer et al have single handedly pulled off in that time ? How many games has Orford cost us in that time with poor kicking options and headless chook plays under pressure.

Look, you love Orford, I don't. I just think he is too inconsistent and isn't a \"controller\" of the game. You don't get a reputation of tightening up under pressure from nowhere. If he is so good why hasn't he played SOO or for Australia ? Surely the reigning Dally M player would be a certainty for his position in SOO, they couldn't pick a guy with about a fifth of his experience who has never won a premiership....could they ?? Well they have and will continue to do so because the selectors don't rate him. The fact that Wallace, Mullen, and Pearce are all ahead of him in representative consideration speaks volumes.

If we've resigned him then fine, I'll live with it, but I'd rather see money spent on the future, which Orford isn't. Unless by some miracle he develops some consistency. He tries hard, I'll give him that much, but he's not worth $400-450K a year

By the way here is your expert opinion on Bailey after Round 5,

http://www.silvertails.net/forums/topic,180002.msg218827/#msg218827

2465274. Chris Bailey. I claimed he was a hack very early on. Normally - I am very wrong in my assessment of players. Bailey may be my saving grace. NOT 1st grade standard. You'll find teams he plays in the 1/2's for, tend to lose about as much as Manly WINS with Brett Stewart.

Now he's the next saviour.

Eh? I still want Lyon at 6. What are you saying? We still aren't winning that many games either?

That being said, a YEAR UNDER THEIR BELT TOGETHER, and BOOM imo.

Orford has won a lot more games on his own back than just those too C&C. I just threw a couple that I remembered spare of the moment.

He HAS been flat this year I admit, but I still think he's a really classy, quality, professional player. I mean, I DO understand some peoples frustrations at times with him - but the outright hatred (dwarf rubbish) is just appauling.

Bailey has a long way to go before he fits our team.  I think next season he, and we will be much better for this year - especially if Orford re-signs.

Jesus Ryan.  What's with it with you and the Ox?  Mate, he's ordinary.  Not only C & C,  I and others say it, Australian and NSW selectors say so too.  Just how many games do you go to?  I happen to go to all in the state, and in nearly every game I see him struggle with close line attack and his vision and creativity is just not on display.  Sure he's won us a few games and good on him, but I expect that and I don't cream my pants, nor genuflect when he does, I EXPECT THAT.  He's not only third in line for NSW, he'd be about tenth for Australia.     

Will Orford's extension contain KPIs?

Here are some ones I'd put in:

No more than 20% of kicks allowed to be put down the throat of opposing fullbacks/wingers.

More than 50% of kicks from own half to find grass.

More than 90% of kicks from own half must travel more than 40 metres.

More than 90% of kicks from within opposition 20-50 metre lines must go higher than 20 metres.

byso link said:
Dsm if you have the time, list all the 7's 1 to 16 and see where Ox  rates

Those ahead of Orford without a shadow of a doubt - Thurston, Prince, Cronk, and Marshall. (and Mullen if you class him as a halfback)

Those I'd probably swap for Orford given the chance - Wallace and Dureau. Also Luke Walsh probably, but would like to see a bit more of him before deciding for sure

Those in the same class as Orford - Kimmorely (much more consistent though), Jones and Hornby.

Those who I'd rather keep Orford over - Pearce, Robson, Sandow, Herbert (could develop though) and whatever dud Cronulla throw up.

Id vote for Monas over Orford. In the current team or very similar. Monas was 7 from 7 at half back ;)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8