News: Finals race fail to entice by Peter Peters

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
THE race for the top eight in the NRL is the most lacklustre in years with six of the eight spots already locked up and reserved for St George Illawarra, Melbourne, Manly, North Queensland, Brisbane and the Warriors.The only interest will be for teams filling positions seven and eight which are token and impossible spots from which to launch a realistic title bid.

Read the full article

No way there was 12000 at the game, more like 7000 and about 800-1000 of us would be close to right

Was watching the game from home and the ground looked very empty. The away team bay was pretty full though.

Andy1972
Manly Forever.

Zorba from the Article said:
And fans on the peninsula are giggling. The side was ridiculed from the start of the season with some so-called experts tipped the side not to figure in the eight.

Former star and commentator Laurie Daley was typical in the pre-season assessment when he suggested the Sea Eagles would finish in 12th position.

Most newspaper columnists had a similar view despite the fact that Des Hasler steered the side to the finals for six successive seasons (including two grand finals).

Very true.

Here are the Sunday Roast team's Top 8 predictions:

MG

Warriors
Dragons
Storm
Tigers
Panthers
Eels
Raiders
Titans
-------------------------------

TK

Dragons
Tigers
Roosters
Titans
Storm
Penrith
Warriors
Raiders

Gus

Tigers
Raiders
Roosters
Dragons
Titans
Eels
Storm
Bulldogs

Vossy

Dragons
Tigers
Roosters
Storm
Bulldogs
Raiders
Titans
Warriors

smemotions24.gif
As you can see, up until this point in the competition, they are really great tippers (not)

The Dogs loss last night also pushes them back a further 2 points from us, and if we beat them in a few weeks it will be even better.

At this point the Grand Finalists will come from either St Merge, the Drizzle, the Donkeys and the mighty Sea Eagles.

The Warriors and the Cowboys are the only other two to pose any threats...the rest "tell em their dreamin"

This time of the year sorts out the contender's from the pretender's.

Thankfully our depth seems good and our halves don't have to play rep footy this time of the year (thankfully Foz doesn't have to play for New Zealand in an Origin series yet)

Still too early to write off grand finalists. Look at Rorters and Parra last 2 seasons and also Raiders this time last year you wouldn't have picked these teams to do what they did the last 2 seasons at this point in the last 2 seasons.

Raiders are really 5 games behind it's not inconcievable that we could be equal in 5 games time.

However I agree that it is just bloody stupid that half the comp play finals and half don't. Should be final 6 or final 7. Would make much more sense

Jethro said:
Zorba from the Article said:
Former star and commentator Laurie Daley was typical in the pre-season assessment when he suggested the Sea Eagles would finish in 12th position.

Most newspaper columnists had a similar view despite the fact that Des Hasler steered the side to the finals for six successive seasons (including two grand finals).

Very true.

Here are the Sunday Roast team's Top 8 predictions:

MG

Warriors
Dragons
Storm
Tigers
Panthers
Eels
Raiders
Titans

TK

Dragons
Tigers
Roosters
Titans
Storm
Penrith
Warriors
Raiders

Gus

Tigers
Raiders
Roosters
Dragons
Titans
Eels
Storm
Bulldogs

Vossy

Dragons
Tigers
Roosters
Storm
Bulldogs
Raiders
Titans
Warriors

smemotions24.gif
As you can see, up until this point in the competition, they are really great tippers (not)

This shows that they do their tipping with their hearts rather than their heads - how terribly professional for so called professionals

Bit rough on the experts not picking on us. From memory not too many of us had us looking this good early on and we all do have a bias. The concerns over us by most of the commentators were quite legitimate, they were:

* No new signings of any note
* Another Rookie halfback
* Concerns over Stewart coming back

All those are true. We only finished 8th last year and with the improvement to the rosters of teams outside the 8 and us not really looking at getting much better on paper it seems pretty obvious they would have tipped us not to make the finals.

Also lets not forget the reason for alot of our improvement is due to some rookies that have surprised us. Even though not everybody doubted Buhrer, (me included), plenty had him not even in our 17 and he's been a star. We all knew Hoppa had talent but who knew he would be this good, this early. The improvement in Foran has been off the charts.

I doubt many of us had tipped the Roosters, Titans and Raiders to be this far down the ladder as well.

The improvement isn't completely out of sight though, most here on this forum had Manly in the eight at the end of the year. Personally I took the Dan route & said that we will finish 5th.

Pundits who judged the team on last year were always going to have us missing the eight but when you looked at Manly's roster in-depth at the start of the year it was always clear that we were no joke.

Masked Eagle said:
Bit rough on the experts not picking on us. From memory not too many of us had us looking this good early on and we all do have a bias. The concerns over us by most of the commentators were quite legitimate, they were:

All those are true. We only finished 8th last year and with the improvement to the rosters of teams outside the 8 and us not really looking at getting much better on paper it seems pretty obvious they would have tipped us not to make the finals.

Also lets not forget the reason for alot of our improvement is due to some rookies that have surprised us. Even though not everybody doubted Buhrer, (me included), plenty had him not even in our 17 and he's been a star. We all knew Hoppa had talent but who knew he would be this good, this early. The improvement in Foran has been off the charts.

I doubt many of us had tipped the Roosters, Titans and Raiders to be this far down the ladder as well.

Is this where we get to gloat about our tipping expertise? I tipped Manly 1st, and the Roosters, Tigers, Raiders, Titans, Eels and Souths to wallow in the muddied waters of their own wishful thinking.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Masked Eagle said:

Is this where we get to gloat about our tipping expertise? I tipped Manly 1st, and the Roosters, Tigers, Raiders, Titans, Eels and Souths to wallow in the muddied waters of their own wishful thinking.

Only if you've got money on it! ;)

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4