News: Eagles set for cow paddock

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
backer i was just reading down a bit saw your comment..  do you work in retail..

WAMF link said:
I don't believe the 7 figure bs.
How much can they charge (ticket wise) in PNG? the majority earn SFA over their? Should we support a govt who is ok with spending stupendous amounts of money for a football game while the majority of their population live in poor conditions?

It's a pipe dream and a distraction. The club should be more focussed on attracting a major sponsor rather then globe trotting and looking at ways to take more games from Brookvale. Why do you think 'members' was mentioned?
Oh yes, now I remember, Lowe hasn't the acumen to attract a major sponsor. Maybe the club should attract a 'major CEO' first. That oughta help with finding a new sponsor.

Why not, the Australian Govts (both Federal and State) do stupid stuff like this all the time

If we go to PNG we must choose the right game, for instance a cow paddock might suit the cowboys.

Actually, PNG is shortly going to be swimming in money. Just wait until the mines are up and running! If they get a fair share of these dollars, they won't be so reliant on Aussie aid.

Jerry1 link said:
[quote author=jjai link=topic=183839.msg271262#msg271262 date=1278056567]
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=183839.msg271258#msg271258 date=1278056097]
<p>A RUN-down old ground in Port Moresby is being strongly considered over Brookvale Oval as the Sea Eagles aim to cash in on moving an NRL game to Papua New Guinea next year.</p>

<a href=\"http://silvertails.net/news/4915-eagles-set-for-cow-paddock.html\">Read the full article</a>
.. with the man power over their & low wages if any, they should have a world class 1 up  in no time .. for peanuts..probably less than the monthly rent we have to give to warringah council..
[/quote]
The PNG Govt can't afford a paddle pop stick let alone a stadium.

If there was a stadium to be built it would be done by overseas contractors & paid for by Australian government aid.

You people who think you could just rock up into moresby for the weekend walk to the game & have a few beers are the kind of people who die very young.

People kill each other over there for a footy shirt let alone the two hundred bucks in your pocket.

It's the real wild west out there.

[/quote]

Moops link said:
Actually, PNG is shortly going to be swimming in money. Just wait until the mines are up and running! If they get a fair share of these dollars, they won't be so reliant on Aussie aid.

[quote author=Jerry1 link=topic=183839.msg271417#msg271417 date=1278131201]
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=183839.msg271258#msg271258 date=1278056097]
<p>A RUN-down old ground in Port Moresby is being strongly considered over Brookvale Oval as the Sea Eagles aim to cash in on moving an NRL game to Papua New Guinea next year.</p>

<a href=\"http://silvertails.net/news/4915-eagles-set-for-cow-paddock.html\">Read the full article</a>
.. with the man power over their & low wages if any, they should have a world class 1 up  in no time .. for peanuts..probably less than the monthly rent we have to give to warringah council..
[/quote]

If there was a stadium to be built it would be done by overseas contractors & paid for by Australian government aid.

You people who think you could just rock up into moresby for the weekend walk to the game & have a few beers are the kind of people who die very young.

People kill each other over there for a footy shirt let alone the two hundred bucks in your pocket.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Been mines there for forty years mate.

Not of the scale to what is coming up apparently. And maybe we can let them keep a few dollars in the process!!

Jerry1 link said:
[quote author=Moops link=topic=183839.msg271467#msg271467 date=1278155543]

[quote author=Jerry1 link=topic=183839.msg271417#msg271417 date=1278131201]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Been mine there for forty years mate.

[/quote]

Actually most of the large scale mining has been done in West Papua, which is part of Indonesia.

A weekend in PNG is not top of my preferred home game going experiences but that said if it is a potential earner for the club then why not look at it? Silly not to?

One more time…The preference vote that is held by the Football Club protects where we play and at present there is only agreement for 2 home games to be played away from Brookie (If you want to have your say heard on this important aspect then join the Football Club if you haven’t already – it will only cost you $25 a year)

Seated season ticket holders have the option to “opt out” of games played away from Brookie (ie they can buy a 10 or 12 match ST) – GA season ticket holders have the option to purchase flexi passes so they don’t pay for games they can’t get to or don’t want to go (Currently a 3 match GA pass is only $50)

Realistically, no matter where we play and when there will always be those that prefer to watch on TV at home rather than get to the ground (I’m also told it’s not unusual for the Brookvale pub and Leagues club to be chockers with people watching the game on TV when we play at home and it’s on TV - go figure?)

Additionally, whilst people continue to attempt to justify why they don’t take up membership of the Sea Eagles and contribute financially to our team and we continue to have low member numbers then we need to take the mountain to Mohammed to get some cash to protect our long term future – any and all ideas welcome?

By the way – these snipes at Graham Lowe and the canonisation of our previous CEO - I recall Grant Mayer being in charge during one of the more turbulent times in our history and not only could he not broker peace but he also appeared to inflame the situation by putting one of the private owners off-side and also alienating both the Leagues Club and Football Club...FACT

He also went public on moving the club to Blue Tongue…FACT

The fact that there is no public wrangling is because there is none – that is a huge result and a major plus in my books?

Graham Lowe is on a one year deal with an option for a further 2 years so it’s fair to say that he would be busting his back side for some big wins in his first year – if not he will be gone?

It’s also fair to assume that aspects such as sponsorship deals, player re-signing and attracting new talent would be topics of conversation at the Sea Eagles board meetings.

Remember that the Quantum deal was signed in November 2008 so there is still time to sign up a new sponsor and I understand that there are talks currently that are showing promise.

The mention of a working relationship between clubs from other countries (Warriors) is not revolutionary – Manchester United formed a very successful marketing relationship with the New York Yankees as long ago as 2001 – Who would have thought that a US baseball team and an English Premier League football team based thousands of miles apart could work together successfully?

Granted, apples with pears analogy in terms of their respective branding and market appeal but nevertheless it flew when it would appear to be a ridiculous notion initially?

Talk about us being doomed is a little premature….

Furrther to what Vidmar just stated I know for a fact that Lowie is working hard to find a new sponsor asap as he has got a few scouts out and about all over Aust looking for a good sponsor and he has the backing of Bob reilly and Arko.

Actually if Lowe markets us as the second team to follow in NZ then surely there's club members to sign up, merchandise to sell and kids to grow up with an allegiance to maybe, just maybe, playing for us in the future.  I don't really see a downside.  Same with PNG.  I'd be more concerned if there was a move to Homebush or Bluetongue.       

That is part of what got me hooked on the club DSM

Back in the 90s they had a junior supporters club which my old man joined me up to (even though he has no interest in League). It was like Xmas coming home from school 3-4 times a year to find a package with caps, keyrings, signed posters etc. I still treasure my signed Cliff Lyons photo that I was sent just after his 1st retirement in 1998

DSM5 link said:
Actually if Lowe markets us as the second team to follow in NZ then surely there's club members to sign up, merchandise to sell and kids to grow up with an allegiance to maybe, just maybe, playing for us in the future.  I don't really see a downside.  Same with PNG.  I'd be more concerned if there was a move to Homebush or Bluetongue.       
If he marketed us in Iceland we'd be the only team - imagine having a monopoly. Guess where he'll be jetting off to next.

What about marketing us locally (domestically). Doesn't James Packer live at Palm Beach? Seems to me that many a CEO would live on the north shore.

To be fair the CEO would be working to raise the profile of the club - actual marketing should not be done by the CEO

Jerry1 link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=183839.msg271419#msg271419 date=1278131525]
Then let the games begin!  The stadium will be built by overseas contractors and paid for by the Australian government.  Who do you think pays for all the stadiums built in Australia Jerry?  You?   Pleeeese.  I for one will take my life into my hands and go up for a game.  An armored car can take me to the game.  Stuff like your post is so full of stereotypes it's laughable.    
How many times have you been there mate - I go there every couple of years on business. I know the place well.

If you go there with that attitude you won't last long. Ask anyone who's been there.

[/quote]

You are correct Jerry.  Also just had a mate just got back today and said its worse than his last visit 6 or so years back.  

sydsider link said:
Sounds like were going broke again.

Lowe may have not done any huge deals in his time as CEO, let's see how he goes with the major sponsorship issue. In other ways he is getting Manly's fingers in a few pies which is a good sign and every little bit counts when it comes to getting your brand out there.
What did Mayer actually DO that he is so revered for ?

James Packer's on the Eastern Suburbs Roosters board.  I wouldn't think he'd be interested in Manly.  Doubtful on the 'going broke' thing Jerry, Delmege and Penn are still the owners and i haven't heard af any move to sell out.  Silly rumors.   

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6