News: Contract negotiations no excuse for poor form: Graham Lowe

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Give it a rest Jonsey.  There's no excuse for poor form.  They are PROFESSIONAL players, remember.  They are all well paid for getting out on the park and playing well.  That's why they were signed for.  I used to work.  I didn't work poorly, or well, because some idiot was in charge.  I worked well because I was paid to. 

DSM5 link said:
I didn't work poorly, or well, because some idiot was in charge.  I worked well because I was paid to. 
  The modern workplace is a little different to the coal mines in the 1950s mate.  There's even management manuals published these days, would you believe? 

**** DSM I thought I was old, I was born in the 50's, if you were working in them (the 50's) you must be about 70 odd, and boy that IS old

Leaving aside his age, I think DSM5 has a point about professional players needing to be fully self motivated.

I was just being facitius WAMF, I in fact think that DSM is actually one of the most logical, unemotive posters on this website. I didn't quite know which way to take him at first but he posts some very smart comments...and despite Cambo thinking he's a c@@t, I disagree...and he's right about poor form, they are professional players, not just country hacks playing for love.

Mark, I am old.  I worked when one was paid to do a task.  Unlike Matas I guess, who insinuates the modern worker weeps, sulks and leaves when the heats on or when he doesn't feel wholly appreciated..boo-hoo.  Probably that's why the world is stuffed. People think they deserve to be paid just because they turn up.  The players are paid to play to an appropriate level, not play poorly because some mate in the team isn't on the priority list of the club. Get a life.   

Agree 150%

If you think about it a player on say $200K (and that's not real big money) gets

$3850.00 a week

Or say if they do 40 hours (training, travel and playing)....$100 a hour

A "Greg Inglis" would earn 3 times that amount

I have worked a lifetime, and think I am going really well on a fraction of that money.

I agree GET A LIFE and pull your fingers out!!

i am glad i dont have business dealings with many on here. As far as i am concerned an agreement is an agreement and i would not back out of something simply because i hadnt put pen to paper.
alternately has anyone entertained the thought that it may be in the clubs best interest to hold off getting a contract signed. The storm are going to have to start offloading players, and depending on who becomes available the club may change tack regardibg keirans contract.
yhey may also be waiting to see what happens with mattai. If mattai goes and we dont want anyone that gets cut loose from the storm we cwould be in a position to alter the terms of keirans contract so that he gets a larger slice next season and less in the subsequent seasons, allowing the club more lattitude when chasing a big name that they may have their eye on for 2012 and beyond.
And aside from all that, foran doesnt seem concerned and nor do the club. Why get your panties in a bunch over a non issue. Foran put himself out there already. If there was something more appealing than what he has agreed to at manly he would already have agreed to terms with a rival club.

DSM5 link said:
Give it a rest Jonsey.  There's no excuse for poor form.  They are PROFESSIONAL players, remember.  They are all well paid for getting out on the park and playing well.  That's why they were signed for.  I used to work.  I didn't work poorly, or well, because some idiot was in charge.  I worked well because I was paid to. 

Re read what i wrote mate, i said its responsible of the poor form of our managment (not the team). Their job is to sign people and they are not oding a very good one at the moment.

Biscuits link said:
If mattai goes and we dont want anyone that gets cut loose from the storm we cwould be in a position to alter the terms of keirans contract so that he gets a larger slice next season and less in the subsequent seasons, allowing the club more lattitude when chasing a big name that they may have their eye on for 2012 and beyond.

thanks Biscuits - that is the first really logical (potential) explanation I have heard for the Foran signing delay.

DSM5 link said:
Mark, I am old.  I worked when one was paid to do a task.  Unlike Matas I guess, who insinuates the modern worker weeps, sulks and leaves when the heats on or when he doesn't feel wholly appreciated..boo-hoo.  Probably that's why the world is stuffed. People think they deserve to be paid just because they turn up.  The players are paid to play to an appropriate level, not play poorly because some mate in the team isn't on the priority list of the club. Get a life. 
  You haven't worked with Geny Y, have you.  Neither has Lowe before now in all likelihood.  I didn't say it was right, but it is a current reality. 

DSM5 link said:
Mark, I am old.  I worked when one was paid to do a task.  Unlike Matas I guess, who insinuates the modern worker weeps, sulks and leaves when the heats on or when he doesn't feel wholly appreciated..boo-hoo.  Probably that's why the world is stuffed. People think they deserve to be paid just because they turn up.  The players are paid to play to an appropriate level, not play poorly because some mate in the team isn't on the priority list of the club. Get a life.  
Whilst I agree with your assertations (in principal) DSM. I hope we don't lose sight of the fact that we are in a competition and 15 other clubs would presumably have similar expectations. As you once stated this club has given us a premiership every decade for longer than even I care to remember, and I'm certainly know spring chicken.

None of the above is ever an excuse for mediocrity, maybe more a reminder to myself of the expectations I place on the club I love. ;)

i wouldn't put Gen Y down so lightly.  I've got daughters and sons in law of the age.  They take what they say seriously.   But I'd punt Hodko and Perry now, one for disloyalty and the other for poor form, and make it plain to all that form constitutes the reality when considering contracts.  If loyalty doesn't matter to Gen Y then form should.  On Matai, if he goes he goes, I'll be sad, but that's footie.  I was angry that the club didn't seem to do its all to retain Beaver for one more year but that's the way it goes.  Maybe he didn't want to stay, who knows.  Maybe he was the glue that's needed in a team to do well.  Maybe Biscuits is right and there's more to all things than meet the eye (Whatever that means).  And you're right MB, other clubs have their issues and expectations for their players.  The trouble with this club is that us die-hards expect success, while others hope for it.       

DSM check your Private Messages matey
http://www.silvertails.net/forums/index.php?action=pm

Bradza link said:
[quote author=Biscuits link=topic=184027.msg274614#msg274614 date=1279090370]
If mattai goes and we dont want anyone that gets cut loose from the storm we cwould be in a position to alter the terms of keirans contract so that he gets a larger slice next season and less in the subsequent seasons, allowing the club more lattitude when chasing a big name that they may have their eye on for 2012 and beyond.

thanks Biscuits - that is the first really logical (potential) explanation I have heard for the Foran signing delay.
[/quote]

If this is the reason it's crazy.

Foran needs to be signed, sealed and delivered now.  It is too risky to leave him on the open market.  If the club wants flexibility to pay him more in the first season and less in subsequent seasons then draft that it into his contract, or sign him up to play for the same money each seasons and then vary his contract to pay him more in the first year if necessary (I doubt he would have any objections to bringing forward his pay).

As it stands, when Cronk makes a decision about his future the eyes of all the clubs who freed up cash for Cronk and missed out will be squarely on Foran, and unless there is some arrangement I am not aware of between Foran and the club there will be nothing to stop him from entertaining the numerous offers that will inevitably come his way.  Then we either pay him top dollar or let him go the way of Hodko.

DSM5 link said:
The trouble with this club is that us die-hards expect success, while others hope for it.       

Truer words have never been seen on this forum. 

A Manly fan over 45 years old expects to win a Grand Final on average every 6 or 7 years and to make another in that time. And to miss the finals only once in that same time.

bob dylan link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=184027.msg274719#msg274719 date=1279094778]
The trouble with this club is that us die-hards expect success, while others hope for it.       

Truer words have never been seen on this forum. 

A Manly fan over 45 years old expects to win a Grand Final on average every 6 or 7 years and to make another in that time. And to miss the finals only once in that same time.
[/quote]
nothing wrong with that bob
thats why we are manly
and not some nuffy club like Parra or Souths

manlyborn link said:
As you once stated this club has given us a premiership every decade for longer than even I care to remember, and I'm certainly know spring chicken.
This raises a dilemma we have previously never had to confront. If we won the comp this year (haha) which decade would it be credited to? Getting in early for the teens? We have never won in an end decade/start decade year such as 2010. Deeply concerning.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6