News: Chrysiliou steps up to bring calm to Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SilentBob

Bencher
<p>THE Manly Sea Eagles have been the first club to answer the NRL's call for more women on boards by appointing Kerry Chrysiliou as a director.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/4013-chrysiliou-steps-up-to-bring-calm-to-manly.html">Read the full article</a>

I am pretty sure this extra info on Chrysiliou hasn't been posted:

Brent Read | June 22, 2009
The Australian

MANLY surged into the top eight yesterday, but the club is poised to make even greater strides today off the field when it becomes the latest NRL club to appoint a woman to its board.

Less than a week after the NRL called on its clubs to place more women in positions of power, Manly co-owner Rick Penn will officially stand down from the Sea Eagles' seven-man board to create room for Kerry Chrysiliou, a lawyer based on Sydney's northern beaches.

Chrysiliou, a long-time Manly fan, has an impeccable sporting background. She is the Australian-based legal representative for two of America's sporting giants -- Major League Baseball and the National Basketball Association -- and hopes to bring a different dynamic to a board which has been fractured for months.

The Sea Eagles owners have been at loggerheads since late last year, culminating in the resignation of chief executive Grant Mayer last week. Mayer's decision to walk away was in part due to his close association with chairman Scott Penn, which angered fellow owner Max Delmege.

Chrysiliou will join as one of the two representatives of the Penn family. While Rick will stand down, Scott remains chairman.

"Me being there is going to diffuse some of the situations which have arisen because it's a different dynamic," Chrysiliou said. "Any time you have a group of people and a mix of sexes it changes the dynamic. I expect that will happen pretty much automatically. I hope I can bring something positive.

"There has been some division but I would like to take some heat out of it and make sure what happens is according to the rules."

Asked about the club's well-documented internal problems, Chrysiliou said: "It's the way they have been expressed, that's the problem.

"You can have people with differences but you don't have to be confrontational about it. You should always be working towards one goal.

"That's the reason for being."

The Penns described the appointment as a significant moment in the club's history.

"It's not a token appointment," Scott Penn said.

After a series of off-field dramas, the NRL actively called on its clubs last week to work towards bringing more women into the game. Although the code has a history of being a glorified men's club, it has made some headway in recent years.

Rugby league was the first mainstream professional sport in Australia to appoint a female director to a governing body -- Katie Page four years ago.

Three women have subsequently been appointed to the board of football clubs -- Dawn Fraser at Wests Tigers, Lyn Wallace at Parramatta Leagues Club and Petra Fawcett at Melbourne. Chrysiliou will take that figure to four when she officially takes her position today.

NRL chief executive David Gallop last night embraced Chrysiliou's appointment. "Kerry is qualified to bring a range of experience and skills to the board and we welcome her to Manly and the game," Gallop said.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
So if we get a few women on the board will it turn from a S**t fight into a cat fight

Boy your damned if your do and damned if you don't!  Don't you think this is a positive step? (JEF's wife - Mary from Eagles Angels!)

Mary remember we are men, with comments like that we generally think like 14 yo, much like the current board ;)

Speak for yourself Byso.  Mary, I'm an honorary girl in my household outnumbered 6 : 1.  Absolutely no chance.  I think it's an excellent idea and it really should be 50/50.  I'll have a word to Max about a sex change.  Now the NRL board should expand its female members.  I think there's only one in seven.

A good move by Penn as well, I bet its part of some kind of deal. Ie. One of you guys have to step down, and appoint someone more neutral and then we will accept so and so as CEO.

Still a smart move, hopefully it Chrysiliou has a level head about her, she will need it on this board.

JEF link said:
[quote author=BErKeLEy_eAgLe link=topic=180833.msg229025#msg229025 date=1245656893]
So if we get a few women on the board will it turn from a S**t fight into a cat fight

Boy your damned if your do and damned if you don't!  Don't you think this is a positive step? (JEF's wife - Mary from Eagles Angels!)
[/quote]

there was no malice intended, sorry if I offended

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
[quote author=JEF link=topic=180833.msg229089#msg229089 date=1245667218]
[quote author=BErKeLEy_eAgLe link=topic=180833.msg229025#msg229025 date=1245656893]

[/quote]

there was no malice intended, sorry if I offended
[/quote]

No offence taken.  Just hoping this settles life down at the club.  thank goodness the boys are back on track. mx

From today's Manly Daily:

New legal eagle in the nest

Kelly Robinson

THE Manly Sea Eagles are hoping to emulate the team’s miraculous on-field turnaround in the boardroom by appointing its first permanent female director.

While the team charged into the top eight after a win against the Raiders on the weekend, Brookvale lawyer Kerry Chrysiliou has taken the place of Rick Penn on the fractured board, in a move designed to ease tensions after a tumultuous few months of infighting, which culminated in the shock resignation of chief executive Grant Mayer last week.

This is the first time a woman has been appointed to the club’s board full time, with the Eagles responding to NRL chief David Gallop’s calls to appoint more women to power positions across the sport.

Mrs Chrysiliou has been a Sea Eagles fan since 1986 the year she moved to the northern beaches and is the Australian-based legal representative of the NBA and Major Baseball League.

The push to make the club a more female-friendly place is also set to continue with suggestions Melinda Gainsford-Taylor will join the board. (my bolding)

Mrs Chrysiliou said she hoped her appointment would bring a new dynamic to the troubled board and allow it to move forward.

``Hopefully it will take some of the heat out of it (discussions between the directors),’’ she said. ``It has been distracting from the main goal and hopefully it will have a positive influence. ``I can be a fairly assertive person and also, because of my legal background, I am very aware of the rules and regulations that people have to follow. I can be quite pragmatic and direct.

``Anything that advances the role of women in rugby league is an advantage.’’

Mary

It seems the boys int he backroom have been listening to me????

This is great news all round, don't know about Melinda's business acumen but if she is brought in to replace Kerry Sibraa I applaud that move.

This won't be a "catfight" at all, in fact I feel having two ladies in the mix will well and truely calm matters down...and after the last six months that's something we really need!!!

Credentials and ability to do the job is the over riding factor in appointments to the board. Gender shouldnt enter into it.

Is business acumen a necessity? Or is it also worthwhile to have people on the board with commonsense and ideas that appeal to the members and general public.

The CEO is the chap needs to show the most business acumen.

byso link said:
Is business acumen a necessity? Or is it also worthwhile to have people on the board with commonsense and ideas that appeal to the members and general public.

The CEO is the chap needs to show the most business acumen.

Common sense is valuable. General public appeal sounds pretty wishy washy to me.

Direction comes from the boards collective view, so the acumen remains the prerequisite.

I agree with you JC....BUT...in reality the CEO does the "hard yards" and really runs things...the board just (usually) ratify decisions.

The CEO is paid the "big bucks" (and by that I don't mean the millions that some of these clowns get) and really the board need to have "common sense" and reasonably good "business skills" BUT don't to have the accumen of a top flight CEO, especially considering they are probably doing this for next to nothing.

I don't know about the MWSE Ltd Board but I know the Football Club Board just do it for the love of the club!!!

So as I say above IF this is happening I look forward to it!!!

So we don't really need a "Gail Kelly" (the female CEO of Westpac) on there, just someone with credibility, common sense and basic business accument to be able to read a CEO's 5 year plan and understand it!!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6