1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News: Choc back in State of Origin race

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by ManlyBacker, May 31, 2011.

1. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    BLUES outcast Anthony Watmough has emerged as a shock contender for a State of Origin recall this Sunday, as NSW looks at left-field options for its front-row crisis.

Read the full article

2. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,793 / 122
    Leave Watmough alone. He's just fine where he is now, concentrating on Manly dominance. We don't want to overstretch his concentration span.

3. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    the errors have disapeared as well. Looking at him the other night he looks really focus.

That whole pissing thing and everything that happened afterwards could be a blessing in disguise for him.

He cops a bad rap imo hes made some mistakes but to talk hes not a bad bloke at all. Hes just and old school footy player 10 - 15 years ago we wouldnt of even heard about the other stuff.

4. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,701 / 257
    NO NO NO...leave him at club level (for us)

5. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,803 / 53
    I'm going to go against the trend here and say I hope he does get picked. He thoroughly deserves it and I really think it could make a difference to NSW's chances.

I mean really - who is more intimidating? Choc or Ben 'runs away like a girl' Creagh? If Choc plays I could actually be interested in Game 2!!

We can manage without Choc for a game or two.

6. Masked Eagle

Masked Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 0
    I don't agree with a few of the things in the article. Firstly that his form has picked up since the urinating incident. IMO he's been in great form all year. Secondly, the article states "A month ago the Manly bad boy was considered no chance of playing for NSW this year, after he completely missed selection in City-Country." He missed that game through injury, Freddy was gutted when he had to withdraw.

If Choc doesn't get recalled then its plain and simple, he's been blacklisted. His form is great, he's performed at Origin and he plays the exact style of game the coach wants and was missing in game 1. If he doesn't get selected its the only conclusion you can make.

7. clontaago

clontaago Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    ok game 2 for the Blues, who's your pick?

8. eagles2win

eagles2win Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +494 / 0
    Fr the Team? Or the game itself?

9. clontaago

Ratings:
    +121 / 0
  10. The Gronk

The Gronk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    Dugan
    Morris
    Jennings
    Gasnier
    Uate
    Soward
    Pearce
    King
    Ennis
    Snowden
    Watmough
    Bird
    Gallen

Creagh
    Gidley
    TLL
    Merrin

11. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    Watmough is no chance, the backrow will be exactly the same, and Lewis will come on to the bench for (hopefully) Young.

He was a loose cannon in his first camp years ago.

and the leopard hasn't changed his stripes.

12. clontaago

Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Lewis will come in for sure.

Stuart has openly stated he doesnt want to make any unnecessary changes though so the only other changes I can see apart from Lewis will be Hayne for Morris if he doesnt come up and maybe Weyman or TLL for King if he doesnt come up.

13. Masked Eagle

Masked Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 0
    He already served his punishment for that. Lets not forget he has been NSW best forward the last two years and arguably produced one of the best performances ever by a NSW forward.

14. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    I didn't say it was right masked.

And anyone with half a brain can tell he is a goose.

but who cares, we pay him to play footy, not recite poetry, as long as he does well at that who cares? (within the boundaries of normal behaviours of course)

But origin camps are a limited length and close proximity, if there is a destabilising influence in there it becomes obvious real quick, and rightly or wrongly thats his label.

15. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,084 / 285
    My squad is quite different (assuming TLL is fit):-

01. Josh Dugan
    02. Jared Hayne
    03. Jamal Idris
    04. Jamie Lyon
    05. Josh Morris
    06. Jamie Soward
    07. Mitchell Pearce
    08. Kade Snowden
    09. Michael Ennis
    10. Tariq Sims
    11. Anthony Watmough
    12. Greg Bird
    13. Paul Gallen

14. Kurt Gidley
    15. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
    16. Michael Weyman
    17. Beau Scott

16. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    see i dont think you change the back row as such
    those 3 should all start

I like the idea of scott, soward, gaz defending the same side as they do for saints they were awesome.

I would move Gallen to prop and play choc at 13

17. mickqld

mickqld Sack Greenslime 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +3,742 / 57
    01. Josh Dugan
    02. Jared Hayne
    03. Mark Gasnier
    04. Michael Jennings
    05. Akila Uate
    06. Jamie Soward
    07. Mitchell Pearce
    08. Luke Bailey
    09. Kurt Gidley
    10. Tom Learoyd Lahrs
    11. Anthony Watmough
    12. Greg Bird
    13. Paul Gallen

14. Ben Creagh
    15. Luke Lewis
    16. Tim Mannah
    17. Beau Scott

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310 / 0
    Mick, Bailey is retired from rep footy.

Ryan, no room for Luke Lewis in your team?

Anyway here is my preferred team for people to tear shreds off of;

1. Dugan
    2. B.Morris (Hayne if Morris isn't fit)
    3. J.Lyon (Though Gasnier won't be dropped & I'm not sure if Lyon still wants to play rep)
    4. M.Jennings
    5. A.Uate
    6. J.Soward
    7. M.Pearce
    8. J.King
    9. M.Ennis
    10. T.Mannah
    11. A.Watmough
    12. L.Lewis
    13. P.Gallen

14. R.Farah
    15. T.Learoyd-Lahrs
    16. K.Snowden
    17. B.Creagh

Idea with the props being for Kingy & Mannah to set the tempo early then for two big agressive props (in TLL & Snowden) to come on & knock it up a notch, punishing the defense big time if they don't react quickly.

Farah in there for hooker & halves cover obviously, our answer to Cronk. Ennis can also move into the backrow if need be, allowing Lewis to move to lock or into the halves & moving Gallen to the front row.

Creagh can be used to give Choc a breather or to move into 12 & give the playmakers good wide running backrowers on both sides of the park. If you can't set up a try with those two running off your plays then you're not a SoO quality half.

Obviously from a NSW standpoint I'd prefer Lyon to Gasnier in the centers. Lyon does everything that Gasnier does but is a better kicker & can kick goals well. Lyon has also proven that he is a quality leader in his role as Manly captain, so IMO there is nothing Gasnier brings that Lyon doesn't. Shame he doesn't want to play rep footy anymore (apparently).

19. torana355

torana355 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,491 / 27
    Wolfpack, Jamie Lyon has already said he does not want to play SOO. The rest of your team looks good though, problem is NSW's goldenchild Gidley will be picked without doubt.

20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310 / 0
    Yeah I know mate, just wishful thinking on my part, I cringe everytime I see Gaz in the sky blue though.

I agree that Gidley will be in the team, hopefully in the utility role off the bench.
    It's unfortunate, I really don't understand what the selectors & coaches see in him? He is a fine club level player but really gets shown up at rep level.