1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News: Bulls hold up Ox's return with demand for $200,000

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by ManlyBacker, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    <p>DEMANDS for a transfer fee of up to $200,000 from Bradford are understood to be holding up former Manly captain Matt Orford's move to Canberra next season.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5284-bulls-hold-up-oxs-return-with-demand-for-200000.html">Read the full article</a>
    [hr]Post  automatically merged: [time]1291748101[/time][hr]
    From the Daily Telegraph:

"THE TAB was left red-faced yesterday after framing an NRL market based on Matt Orford's two-year deal with Canberra.
    But there was a slight problem. Orford hasn't actually signed.

A 10.54am email yesterday said: "TAB Sportsbet has left Canberra as a $21 chance to win the 2011 NRL Premiership on the back of news that Matt Orford has signed a two-year deal this morning."

But after checking with Canberra management, the TAB realised their error. A 12.11pm email read: "TAB Sportsbet has spoken to Canberra CEO Don Furner and he denies that Matt Orford has signed with the Raiders. He in fact has not gained a release from his present club Bradford. We apologise for any inconvenience caused to Canberra from our earlier email.

"Information received from a number of reliable sources has proven to be incorrect at this stage."

-----------
    One thing is for sure after the Burgess transfer to Souths - any team that can afford a transfer fee won't have it counted towards their salary cap.

2. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    is he still looking for a release ?
    on the news last night Joel said he was looking forward to play with his brother and Matt King at Bradford

3. eagles2win

eagles2win Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +494 / 0
    He's got the release in principal but Bradford want a transfer fee.So they should the guy signed on for three years and has only completed one year of his contract.

4. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    I like the idea of transfer fees.  Players are developed by their clubs and coaches so this should be acknowledged monetarily.  The ease that contracts are broken these days begs a rethink of the whole process.  Way to difficult for Gallop, Shubert and his merry gang of boneheads though.  Bring on some professionalism and competency. 

5. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    Bradford didnt do much development in his case DSM :)

but in theory i'd agree.

6. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    I thought Bradford would be paying Canberra $200K to take him ;)

7. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0
    No but Bradford took the risk of signing him for three years, a risk that will not pay off if he skips out to play elsewhere, so they should be compensated.

8. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    No **** Sherlock.

I just said they didnt do any development, not that they shouldn't be compensated.

9. King

King Active Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 3
    Orford was playing oz tag in the same division as my teams on the central coast last night. I wonder when he is due to fly back to the UK and if he will actually go?

10. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    From SMH today:
    Raiders want Orford for cheap
    CANBERRA chairman John McIntyre says the club has no intention of paying anything like the $200,000 English club Bradford wants as a transfer fee for granting premiership-winning halfback Matt Orford a release to return to the NRL.

more @ http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/raiders-want-orford--without-the-price-tag-from-bullish-bradford-20101209-18rhc.html