News: Bulls hold up Ox's return with demand for $200,000

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>DEMANDS for a transfer fee of up to $200,000 from Bradford are understood to be holding up former Manly captain Matt Orford's move to Canberra next season.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5284-bulls-hold-up-oxs-return-with-demand-for-200000.html">Read the full article</a>

Post  automatically merged: [time]1291748101[/time]

From the Daily Telegraph:

"THE TAB was left red-faced yesterday after framing an NRL market based on Matt Orford's two-year deal with Canberra.
But there was a slight problem. Orford hasn't actually signed.

A 10.54am email yesterday said: "TAB Sportsbet has left Canberra as a $21 chance to win the 2011 NRL Premiership on the back of news that Matt Orford has signed a two-year deal this morning."

But after checking with Canberra management, the TAB realised their error. A 12.11pm email read: "TAB Sportsbet has spoken to Canberra CEO Don Furner and he denies that Matt Orford has signed with the Raiders. He in fact has not gained a release from his present club Bradford. We apologise for any inconvenience caused to Canberra from our earlier email.

"Information received from a number of reliable sources has proven to be incorrect at this stage."

-----------
One thing is for sure after the Burgess transfer to Souths - any team that can afford a transfer fee won't have it counted towards their salary cap.

is he still looking for a release ?
on the news last night Joel said he was looking forward to play with his brother and Matt King at Bradford

He's got the release in principal but Bradford want a transfer fee.So they should the guy signed on for three years and has only completed one year of his contract.

I like the idea of transfer fees.  Players are developed by their clubs and coaches so this should be acknowledged monetarily.  The ease that contracts are broken these days begs a rethink of the whole process.  Way to difficult for Gallop, Shubert and his merry gang of boneheads though.  Bring on some professionalism and competency. 

I thought Bradford would be paying Canberra $200K to take him ;)

Fro link said:
Bradford didnt do much development in his case DSM :)

but in theory i'd agree.

No but Bradford took the risk of signing him for three years, a risk that will not pay off if he skips out to play elsewhere, so they should be compensated.

No **** Sherlock.

I just said they didnt do any development, not that they shouldn't be compensated.

Orford was playing oz tag in the same division as my teams on the central coast last night. I wonder when he is due to fly back to the UK and if he will actually go?

From SMH today:
Raiders want Orford for cheap
CANBERRA chairman John McIntyre says the club has no intention of paying anything like the $200,000 English club Bradford wants as a transfer fee for granting premiership-winning halfback Matt Orford a release to return to the NRL.

more @ http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/raiders-want-orford--without-the-price-tag-from-bullish-bradford-20101209-18rhc.html

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2