News: Bulldogs and Dragons both target Hopoate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Bulldogs are favorites for James Graham as well who would be big coin

We need to be scared of 350k+ offers that will be thrown his way. We need to hope that Boyd stays at the Dragons, as unlikely as that is, as well

sharx said:
isnt there concessions in place for local juniors??i beleive hoppa,buhrer and oldfield are local jnrs?
would hate it if these guys were lost to other clubs.they are our future

Bruno Cullen( Broncos then CEO) produced a very good submission to the NRL about salary cap dispensations for juniors and for players who had played long stints with the clubs. Introduced it would reduce the amount of interclub traffic which would eb healthy for the game

I'd rather keep Robbo and let wolfman go if we're looking to free up money. Robbo is only 28 never gets injured, could easily go another 4 seasons, tradesman like in finishing off tries and safe as houses under the high ball.
While we all love the wolfman, hes a liability injury wise, was good in 2008 when the WHOLE team was awesome but ordinary in 2009 and we'd be better served with trusty old reliable robbo out on 1 wing and flashy young hoppa on the other.
Hurts to say it but wolfman is expendable

Just to throw a spanner in the works... lets say we are able to resign Oldfield and Hoppa, while cutting Wolfman (for arguments sake). We still have Snake, Robbo, Lyon, and Matai. How would our backline look???

I want to keep Oldfield and Hoppa as much as the next guy, but I don't see how both of them fit in our team unless we offload our current two wingers (Wolfman and Robbo), in which case we will be paying a fair bit of coin for a winger (Hoppa) and all of a sudden have no depth for fullback/winger spots.

Have I missed something?

sharx said:
isnt there concessions in place for local juniors??i beleive hoppa,buhrer and oldfield are local jnrs?
would hate it if these guys were lost to other clubs.they are our future

Buhrer's a Parramatta junior

Well I knew this was coming, the dogs will throw big cash at hoppa and I don't feel confident in keeping him :(

i think we must prepare to say goodbye to hoppa

1.the club is flyblown financially with no major sponsor and will be lucky to be able spend up to the cap in coming years.the next nrl grant will simply push up players individual contracts and wont allow much more room to move.
2.with matai,lyon and stewart certianties at 3,4 and 1 for a number of years hoppa in particular will be looking at being a winger(which he won't like ) on a wingers salary(which he will like even less)

i woud hate to see him go but it would be a better than even money chance he walks.I know this is left field but I think buerher should be just as big a priority.one think for sure is they are unlikely to keep both oldfield and hoppa.and it is easy to say get rid of blokes but what are the contract situations,lyon,matai and stewart are on long term deals,not sure about the rest.anyone got a handle on who we can offloadnext year?

These are the players off contract for Manly at the end of 2011.

Buhrer
Cross
Big Joe
Liam Foran
King
Kite
Mauro
Robbo
Robinson
Rose
Seu Seu
Whare
Wolfman
T-Rex

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. William Hopoate
04. Jamie Lyon
05. Michael Oldfield
06. Keiran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Tim Robinson
09. Matt Ballin
10. Jason King
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Matai
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Jamie Buhrer
15. George Rose
16. Vic Mauro
17. Daniel Harrison

+ Backrow, all 80 min. players
+ Props younger, pretty mobile
+ Retain Hoppa
+ Matai continues to be a very wide running backrower (close to centres)
+ Bench is cheap as - can afford to pay Hoppa / Oldfield
+ Lose injury plagued Rodney / D Williams
+ Others to go: Kite (UK), Galuvao (Retire), Seu Seu

You've pretty much nailed it Ryan...and the remainder of our top 25 will be -
Cunningham
Lussick
Higgins
Whare
Davey
Riccardi

Props are not good enough. Robinson is not a starting prop.. at best a bench player. We need to sign Snowden.

I hate to say it.. but with King and Kite off contract.. and both over 30 years old.. despite being legends and winning us a GF recently.. we may need to let them both go.

Jamie Buhrer is an 80 minute player. He must start in the back row next year.

01. Brett Stewart
02. William Hopoate
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. Michael Oldfield
06. Keiran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. New Player/Adam Blair/Graham
09. Matt Ballin
10. Kade Snowden
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Jamie Buhrer
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Tim Robinson
15. George Rose
16. Vic Mauro
17. Daniel Harrison

Alot of young players there.. not sure where all the money is tied up.. Jamie Lyon may be on his last season with us next year too.. so maybe if we re sign hoppa.. it will be on a small deal in 2012 but a massive contract in 2013.

My understand is that T-rex, Wolfie and Robertson are all off contract and 2 of the 3 if not all will be release to keep hoppa, oldfield and buhrer.

We need to sign him up for 5 years if possible. He is getting alot of attention on the footy show and the roast today aswell.

i dont really wanna lose hoppa either.. what about this

stewart
oldfield
matai
hoppa
wolfman/robbo

lyon
DCE

foran
stewart
watmough

buhrer on bench

or

hoppa
oldfield
matai
lyon
wolfman/robbo

snake
dce

foran

i dunno if we are messing with the team too much, its near impossible to fit all these guys in in there best position.. but it would seem there just isnt room for a couple of either buhrer, oldfield, hoppa, wolfman, robbo, t rex

dare i say this is the exact problem the club was dealing with when they almost let matai go?

Foran must stay our 6

That means Lyon must stay in the centres

Stewart has to be our fullback

Personally for me, Matai has to be our 2nd centre as well

Every time I think about it, the more I have to say it, and I hate saying it, but we may have to sacrifice robbo

Wolfman, at the right price is a keeper, don't forget the potential he has for the club off the park as well

slickster71 said:
My understand is that T-rex, Wolfie and Robertson are all off contract and 2 of the 3 if not all will be release to keep hoppa, oldfield and buhrer.

Swap T-Rex's contract for Buhrer. Wolfman for Hoppa and Robbo for Oldfield.. if only it were that simple!

Hoppa would be almost wasted on the wing IMO. The only problem with this idea is that we will be losing our depth.

I don't think there is any way the club can keep all of these youngsters which is a shame, but that is the game these days.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4