News: Bulldogs and Dragons both target Hopoate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
THE Bulldogs have launched another raid on Manly's playing ranks, targeting teenage superstar William Hopoate to counter the loss of Jamal Idris to the Gold Coast.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned that Hopoate met with Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore and the club's recruitment guru Peter Mulholland at Homebush last Tuesday.

Read the full article

I reckon they will let a few of our off contract players go and make way to keep Hopoate, Buhrer, and Oldfield.. I think its time to downgrade or let Robbo go same with David Williams, Rodney. In saying that Brett Stewarts contract needs a little more fine tuning as he takes the majority of our cap. That being said the three I mentioned before they are the future

it makes you wonder why they waited, they knew how good this kid was so why he wasn't offered an extension earlier this season is beyond me....

or maybe he was but wanted to take a chance to prove he is worth more- if so then it was a worthwhile gamble for

My guess is the club knew all along that these were quality players and have a strategy to keep them, hence no big new signings recently. They were always going to be targeted by other clubs if they performed to expectations.

Moondog said:
My guess is the club knew all along that these were quality players and have a strategy to keep them, hence no big new signings recently. They were always going to be targeted by other clubs if they performed to expectations.

Very good point Moondog. I think you are right. I'm sure Des and Crusher knew that these guys would draw attention from other clubs. Let's pray that there strategy works and we get to keep all of them.

isnt there concessions in place for local juniors??i beleive hoppa,buhrer and oldfield are local jnrs?
would hate it if these guys were lost to other clubs.they are our future

I think it is a compliment to the club - and definitely the individual players - when they get 'wined and dined' and made offers from other clubs. Of course we feel jealous and angry that some of our up-and-coming stars are being talked about, but those players too want to get as much cash as they can for what they are worth. It is all good, though it makes us fans nervous, it is still all good.

Again I will say this. Negotiating players contract when the season has only just started is bull****. This not only distract the players but the team they are currently playing with as well. There is plenty of time at the end of the season to do this.

Hoppa has to be a priority!! I will not be disappointed if we lose Wolfman, Robertson or Whare so we can keep him. If we are right on the salary cap as suggested, then it is seriously time for the club to give a few older guys a tap on the shoulder (Kite, Rodney, Galuvao, Robertson)

It is going to be a tough fight to keep him guys. I hope we can, and he seems like a good kid, but with Tyran Smith in charge of him we could be in a big battle, Tyran was never shy of chaging clubs for a better deal

I think we have to start thinking about considering him a full time centre or fullback, preferably a fullback. Read into that what you will.

How could the Bulldogs afford him? Idris was on a rookie contract, and they have manufactured the rest of the team with Internationals, and over paying young guys ($300k for Hodgkinson), I heard they paid a huge amount to Keating, as well as purchasing, oh, small time players like:-

Eastwood
Pritchard
Turner
Ennis
Upgrading Barber
Goodwin
Halatau
Hodgson
Payne
Paea
J Morris
Stagg
Tolman

and other noteables. ****, throw Tandy in there. Something very fishy is there. Their Reserve grade team is full of first graders.

Seaeagle63 said:
Again I will say this. Negotiating players contract when the season has only just started is bull****. This not only distract the players but the team they are currently playing with as well. There is plenty of time at the end of the season to do this.

sadly there isnt. it usually takes about 3 months to settle a contract. a very drawn out frustrating process. thats why the players have agents thay dont have involve themselves and it doesnt distract players that much. they all accept this is part of their business.

ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
Seaeagle63 said:

sadly there isnt. it usually takes about 3 months to settle a contract. a very drawn out frustrating process. thats why the players have agents thay dont have involve themselves and it doesnt distract players that much. they all accept this is part of their business.

Was Gary's hard to negotiate?

Ryan said:
ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
Seaeagle63 said:

Was Gary's hard to negotiate?

i am not an agent. couldnt put up with all the bs they have put up with.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2