News: Breaking news - Orford quits Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Fluffy link said:
why is the club to blame for a blopke that wants to be paid overs to stay in australia?

Absolutely the club is to blame, they should have given Orford a deadline to either accept their offer or decline it, and that deadline should have been way back in July 2009.

The club are letting the lunatics run the aslylum, the lack of leadership from Penn & his cohorts leaves me flabbergasted.

Not interested in who flicked Mayer, the fact remains that since Mayer left Penn has apparently been running the place. How he has allowed himself to be held to ransom by a player is a massive blunder by him.

Penn can blame none but himself. I cannot recall Manly ever beginning a season without an entrenched No 7, that is not to say that they were all good,some were real duds! The fact they we will be throwing all our eggs in an untried player in NRL in Hodgkinson to play in arguably the most important position in the team is a stuff up of gigantic proportions

Totally agree with Pete, blaming Ox is a pure joke. The club should be in full control even if Penn is acting :) CEO

KaZa link said:
We will be fine.

In time - next year will be starting fresh. I not expecting a top 4 finish and only hoping a top 8 at best.

We are gonna struggle and so will Snake whose combo with Ox was perfect.

Does this Hodkinson kid have a good kicking game? If so, 5th tackle options might be better - has to be a good thing

His kicking game seemed alright but it's hard to tell. Park and QLD cup footy is just so different from NRL

Corso_Pete link said:
[quote author=Fluffy link=topic=182009.msg245655#msg245655 date=1258344615]
why is the club to blame for a blopke that wants to be paid overs to stay in australia?
Absolutely the club is to blame, they should have given Orford a deadline to either accept their offer or decline it, and that deadline should have been way back in July 2009.
[/quote]

As much as I am pleased to see the back of him and that he won't be getting paid 300k ( I don't think he is even worth that at this stage of his career) The club has to take some of the blame for letting it get to this stage. They should have put the offer on the table and said take it or leave it and that should have been done months ago. To have the current captain/halfback not signed and then sign with an o/s club on the eve of preseason training is disgraceful.

But with that said I reckon this is the best thing for the club.

Possibly not having a strong CEO to guide the ship had something to do with it?

Im not really fussed about Orford not signing, the only thing I am concerned about is that if we don't get a CEO (whoever it is) sooner rather than later we will slowly but surely miss signings and re-signings.

But If we do get a CEO soon then he should look directly towards resigning.

On the team front we still pose a very strong team, Im not sure DES being as conservative as he is will risk putting in 2 new halves, he is more than likely to have Lyon and either of Foran / Hodkinson in the halves with Farrer in the centres.

The problem is that previously our style of play relied on Orford so much every play (bearing in mind he had a crap season), I'm still not fully convinced that either Foran or Hodkinson could handle this pressure of being the "go to guy" with their lack of experience, unless of course we change our style of play which is another option.

One reason why eels didn’t need great halves was that their forwards continuously managed to offload and create second phase plays then feeding it out to their backs. With Choc and other forwards with their dismal hand skills I don’t think we can employ this.

But positively I feel we have made some good solid purchases which boosts our forward pack even more, I feel we have one of the biggest / strongest benches and forward pack (but not necessarily the quickest / most skilful) in the NRL which should at least keep us in the top 8.

There is no reason for us to have to *rely* on a halfback as a go-to guy.  We have attacking weapons all over the park, players with a lot of skill in running and ball playing:

B & G Stewart
Lyon
Choc

Hopefully we change our attack to be a lot more varied with the above mentioned players given more latitude to express themselves. 

I have been on holidays for a week and the sweetest thing was guess what?

Not the sunshine, not the beach, not the week off work, but picking up a paper and being greeted with the headline of this nuffie pissing off to England, I thought Christmas was a month early.

Good riddance to bad rubbish Orford.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8