News: Blues couldn't defuse Tahu situation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p class="first">New South Wales Origin team coach Craig Bellamy has revealed Blues management spent more than 12 hours trying to get Timana Tahu and Andrew Johns to reconcile over Johns' racist comment.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4869-blues-couldnt-defuse-tahu-situation.html">Read the full article</a>

Parramatta star Timana Tahu has warned that a racist remark by Andrew Johns that prompted him to walk out of the NSW Origin camp was not an isolated incident.

The Blues winger sensationally walked away from the New South Wales camp at Kingscliff on Friday after taking offence to a racist comment made by former assistant coach Johns in a team meeting.

In a video statement released on Monday, Tahu thanked people for their support, but said the issue goes far beyond the weekend's slur.

"Leaving Origin was a really big decision for me and I'd like to clarify that it was not just one racial comment directed at one individual that offended me," he said.

"The remarks were directed at various races and the situation I encountered was totally unacceptable.

"I believe I am a role model for children and I did this to show my kids this type of behaviour is wrong.

"This isn't about me or Andrew Johns, it's about arresting racism and standing up for my beliefs.

"I want to move on now and I know something positive will come from this."

The incident has polarised opinions in rugby league circles.

The remark was said to NSW centre Beau Scott in regards to marking his opposite number, Queensland's Greg Inglis, in the second State of Origin clash in Brisbane on Wednesday night.

Johns subsequently stood down from his position, saying he was "shattered" to have offended Tahu, with whom he won an NRL championship at Newcastle in 2001.

Gold Coast centre Preston Campbell today said he was proud of Tahu for taking the stand, while outspoken former New South Wales five-eighth Anthony Mundine said Indigenous players should boycott Wednesday's Origin encounter in support of Tahu.

But Maroons hooker Cameron Smith, who said the Queensland camp had not been affected by the incident and that Inglis was moving past it, thought Mundine's calls to action were going too far.

"I think that's probably a bit extreme," he said.

"It comes down to the individual and how they feel.

"Timana obviously felt very strongly which is why he left.

"I think it would hurt the game if all the indigenous boys left and it would hurt the fans."

abc.net.au

ManlyBacker link said:
\"I believe I am a role model for children and I did this to show my kids this type of behaviour is wrong.

Lets hope this guy never gets caught doing any thing in any way unacceptable - otherwise that line is going to backfire massively.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6