News: Big George a happy man

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>WE'VE got the dirt on big George Rose - Manly's cult hero will today be a shock selection in the Indigenous side to play the NRL All Stars.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4401-big-george-a-happy-man.html">Read the full article</a>

Do some of these chimps that write about the game actually watch it or know a thing about it ?

"Shock" selection, what a load of garbage, he was the 1st front rower you would pick off the list given

Wendell Sailor will get a farewell alongside four members of Australia's triumphant Four Nations Kangaroos who were named in the NRL Indigenous All Stars side announced on Friday.

Melbourne's golden boot winner Greg Inglis, North Queensland halfback Johnathan Thurston and Brisbane team-mates Justin Hodges and Sam Thaiday were part of Australia's big Four Nations victory over England this month.

They have been included in a 20-man squad to be captained by Gold Coast utility Preston Campbell when the Indigenous All Stars play an NRL All Stars side at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast on February 13.

St George Illawarra winger Sailor, who announced his retirement from the NRL earlier this month, was voted into the side by the public.

It's the greatest collection of indigenous players selected in a single team and was announced jointly on Friday by NRL chief executive David Gallop, Queensland Minister for Sport Phil Reeves and Indigenous All Stars coach Neil Henry.

The team was announced by ARL Indigenous Council Chairman William "Smiley" Johnstone at Parliament House.

Almost 20,000 rugby league fans voted for the side which includes eight players with State of Origin experience.

Advertisement

"The fans have picked an incredible team," said Gallop.

"There is going to be a huge sense of anticipation building around who is selected in the NRL All Stars team.

"There is no doubt that this will be a spectacular start to season 2010."

More than 16,000 tickets have already been sold for the clash.

The Indigenous All Star squad to play the NRL All Stars at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast on February 13.

All Stars: Carl Webb (Nth Qld), Cory Paterson (Newcastle), Daine Laurie (Penrith), George Rose (Manly), Greg Inglis (Melbourne), Jamal Idris (Bulldogs), Jamie Soward (St George Illawarra), Jharal Yow Yeh (Brisbane), Joel Thompson (Canberra), Johnathan Thurston (Nth Qld) Justin Hodges (Brisbane), Nathan Merritt (South Sydney), PJ Marsh (Brisbane), Preston Campbell (capt, Gold Coast), Sam Thaiday (Brisbane), Scott Prince (Gold Coast), Tom Learoyd-Lahrs (Canberra), Travis Waddell (Canberra), Wendell Sailor (St George Illawarra), Yileen Gordon (Bulldogs).

Coach: Neil Henry (Nth Qld).

It's a good squad, but actually a bit thin right up front. not only is georgie not a shock selection, they could use another couple of wrecking balls.

Future Australian Rep that's who.

Ex Forbes boy or somewhere pretty close to Forbes. Fcuken classy player.

No-one has ever had me standing up in my lounge room calling, "Come on you fat bastard" in such a loving way, before gorgeous George !!

Was Matt Bowen on the list of nominees ? I find it hard to believe he didn't get a run. Or did Preston have the fullback spot sewn up as an automatic selection ?

Ryan link said:
No-one has ever had me standing up in my lounge room calling, \"Come on you fat bastard\" in such a loving way, before gorgeous George !!
You were not a Manly fan in the days of 'Mule' Hossking then. He was a cult figure at Manly!!

Chip & Chase link said:
Was Matt Bowen on the list of nominees ? I find it hard to believe he didn't get a run. Or did Preston have the fullback spot sewn up as an automatic selection ?

From memory he stuffed his knee against Newcastle near the end of the year and will be missing a large chuck of next season, hence the signing of Gallant from the Tigers to go to the Cowboys

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6