News: Ballin the bolter for Origin spot

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>MANLY hooker Matt Ballin has rocketed into the Queensland selection frame as Kangaroos rake Cameron Smith fights to prove his fitness for Origin I.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/4745-ballin-the-bolter-for-origin-spot.html">Read the full article</a>

ads link said:
He deserves it!!! Though I'd rather not have him missing!

We're playing on the saturday after Origin 1 so you'd think that Matt would back up like the rest of our Origin players

After Origin 1 i'd think that Smith will make his return.

from hearing Andrew Johns and Gouldy on the Footy Show tonight, Lyon and Watmough will be the only ones picked for NSW (and maybe Perry) They are looking for experience, the only thing that most of the NSW players are experienced in is losing. Outside of the Manly contigent, how many of them have won a SOO series or GF?!.

Nate link said:
from hearing Andrew Johns and Gouldy on the Footy Show tonight, Lyon and Watmough will be the only ones picked for NSW (and maybe Perry) They are looking for experience, the only thing that most of the NSW players are experienced in is losing.

In my opinion, NSW will continue to lose if they persist with Kidley in the starting line up at fullback and also as Captain. He has great utility value and nothing else. His position should be on the bench at best.

Jethro link said:
[quote author=Nate link=topic=183264.msg262038#msg262038 date=1273379882]
from hearing Andrew Johns and Gouldy on the Footy Show tonight, Lyon and Watmough will be the only ones picked for NSW (and maybe Perry) They are looking for experience, the only thing that most of the NSW players are experienced in is losing.

In my opinion, NSW will continue to lose if they persist with Kidley in the starting line up at fullback and also as Captain. He has great utility value and nothing else. His position should be on the bench at best.
[/quote]
preaching to the choir

Sorry Nate. I should have realised that ;D

Jethro link said:

How could they go past that Dugan kid, he is awesome. Hayne has some good moments but that kid is a better fullback IMO.

TokyoEagle link said:
[quote author=Jethro link=topic=183264.msg262058#msg262058 date=1273398412]

How could they go past that Dugan kid, he is awesome. Hayne has some good moments but that kid is a better fullback IMO.
[/quote]
I don't think he can eat fish heads though.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
[quote author=TokyoEagle link=topic=183264.msg262069#msg262069 date=1273401738]
[quote author=Jethro link=topic=183264.msg262058#msg262058 date=1273398412]

[/quote]
I don't think he can eat fish heads though.
[/quote]

fish heads?

Why not Todd Carney fullback or atleast the utility on the bench, He is a much better option of Kidley. Hayne fullback would be awesome with a centre combination of Lyon and Jennings. Though i noticed that all commentators were rating Cooper the "in form" centre of the competition.

Carney has really impressed in the 1 and is a good choice Nate. Get rid of Hayne and Gidley. Lyon with either Jennings or Cooper is fine.

Talk today that Gallen will be dropped from the second row. Crazy. He is ideal type for SOO, despite all his faults. He gives his all every game and lifts when needed. If they want Creagh in the team he should be the impact player off the bench or put Choc in that role. Waterhouse getting the nod would be a joke.

Gould spoke about the importance of game 1 and having serious experience across the park. I agree with him. Dugan was fantastic on Friday night but SOO is completely different. He'll get his chance in 1 to 2 years if still firing.

As for Ballin playing for the Maroons he has done nothing wrong and it would be a real toss-up between him and Friend. I don't like Friend but once again he looks like an SOO player to me. His darts from dummy half can be unpredictable and he offers toughness and probably more attack for them.

<b>Manly hooker Matt Ballin on standby for Cameron Smith in Queensland team</b>
By Wayne Heming

May 17, 2010 .Manly hooker Matt Ballin will be named as a shadow for Cameron Smith as the Queensland star battles an elbow injury that threatens to end his run of 19 straight Origins.

South Sydney's Dave Taylor's Origin dream is set to come true off the bench with Brisbane Broncos' Israel Folau - yet to reveal his future - likely to be named on the wing with Darius Boyd for the series opener in Sydney next Wednesday night.

Taylor, considered for last year's series when he was with the Broncos, is viewed as an impact player capable of busting the New South Wales Blues on the edges with his size and power.

Greg Inglis and North Queensland Cowboys' Willie Tonga will be Queensland's centre pairing with both Brent Tate and Lote Tuqiri missing out.

Smith, who has Gary Larson's record of 24 consecutive Origins in his sights, will be named in Queensland's 17-man squad on Tuesday.

However the final decision on whether he plays will be left in the hands of Queensland team doctor Roy Saunders and his medical staff who'll monitor his progress.

Understood to be desperate to play, Smith would be unlikely to do any contact training until at least this weekend, or even later.

A source rated him "50-50'' after he met Melbourne Storm doctor Andy McMahon on Monday afternoon for a progress report on the elbow he hyper-extended during the one-off Test against New Zealand a fortnight ago.

Smith, Inglis and Storm teammates Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk are all expected to be named in coach Mal Meninga's squad.

Cronk, who played the Test against the Kiwis for injured halfback Johnathan Thurston, will fill the utility role left vacant by Karmichael Hunt's defection to AFL.

Queensland have been grooming 26-year-old Ballin for just such a scenario with two Origin emerging camps.

He is understood to have got the nod narrowly ahead of Gold Coast Titans hooker Nathan Friend and Cowboys' No.9 Aaron Payne to be Smith's shadow.

The fact that he has also played and won a grand final with the Sea Eagles and is in the Smith mould, also weighed in his favour with selectors.

With Canterbury-Bankstown prop Ben Hannant ruled out following knee surgery, Queensland will hit NSW up front with the new Test combination of Petero Civoniceva and Dave Shillington.

Punishing Sydney Roosters forward Nate Myles has served his penance for his off-field behaviour last year which cost him a Queensland jumper for the third game and will start in the back-row alongside Brisbane's in-form Sam Thaiday.

Titans player Ashley Harrison shifts to lock to replace tackling machine Dallas Johnson.

Thurston's surprise appearance against the Warriors at the weekend removed any concerns his latest shoulder injury could keep him out of the match which will be skipper Darren Lockyer's Origin swansong.

AAP

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6