News: ARL considering return to reserve grade

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
<span class="story-summary-bold">IT'S what every league fan wants: Three grades playing at the same ground on game day, just like in the old days. </span>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/General-NRL/arl-considering-return-to-reserve-grade.html">Read the full article</a>

We were all saying this when the new format was unveiled. Forwards of NRL standard rarely mature by 20 years and the alternative is to be left in limbo by competing in a micky-mouse comp playing all over the place. There is the issue of costs involved for all clubs but the current set up is not the answer.

Can't see Manly fielding a reserve grade side after investing fairly heavily in the sunshine coast.

swoop link said:
Can't see Manly fielding a reserve grade side after investing fairly heavily in the sunshine coast.

I thought the same thing (but wasn't there some doubt a little while back because of the problems getting the new stadium built that the deal may fall through?).

Jethro link said:
[quote author=swoop link=topic=180127.msg219413#msg219413 date=1239839196]

I thought the same thing (but wasn't there some doubt a little while back because of the problems getting the new stadium built that the deal may fall through?).
[/quote]

The federal gvt and local council have committed 5mil each and the sushine eagles are waiting on the state gvt to commit their 5mil. It's supposed to be anounced soon but if they do get the 5mil from state gvt, then they can start work on stockland stadium.

http://www.sunshineseaeagles.com.au/indexFrame.html

ManlyBacker link said:
There is the issue of costs involved for all clubs but the current set up is not the answer.

How much does it cost to ship a team to Townsville, Aukland Brisbane or Melbourne?  Add to that accommodation while there.

Also the salary of the reserve players would be at a guess around the million (using the second teir contract of 50k * 25 players) and allowing for some to play in first grade.

All clubs are complaining about the costs of running a footy club now, it would cost around a couple of million to run and really who would watch it?

I agree we need a second level comp out there but the costs would not allow it.

eagle-rock08 link said:
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=180127.msg219411#msg219411 date=1239838890]
There is the issue of costs involved for all clubs but the current set up is not the answer.

How much does it cost to ship a team to Townsville, Aukland Brisbane or Melbourne?  Add to that accommodation while there.

Also the salary of the reserve players would be at a guess around the million (using the second teir contract of 50k * 25 players) and allowing for some to play in first grade.

All clubs are complaining about the costs of running a footy club now, it would cost around a couple of million to run and really who would watch it?

I agree we need a second level comp out there but the costs would not allow it.
[/quote]

It is cheaper. If you have a Reserve Grade team , you need nearly 50 overage contracted (paid) players. Currently Manly has only 27.

Then there is coaches, managers, runners etc and then the on costs , insurance, medical costs etc

Clubs are only doing this for economic benefits, trust me.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8