News: Alan Jones set for gig on NRL independent commission

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>THE most powerful voice in Australia is poised to become the powerbroker of rugby league. Broadcaster Alan Jones is set to join league's new independent commission after winning overwhelming support from every NSW NRL club.<strong> </strong></p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5260-alan-jones-set-for-gig-on-nrl-independent-commission.html">Read the full article</a>

His first motion would be to introduce 80's style AFL shorts for all the players and upgrade the public toilets at all the grounds.

Is this the Alan Jones who was exposed years ago for favouring corporations who lined his pockets - unbeknownst to his listeners?

How he can be mentioned in the same breath as the word 'independent' defies common sense.

(Wasn't Foxtel one of the companies who bought his opinion?)

You may be right SER*8 but he does have the "smarts" and is very well connected, plus isn't part of the "old school" so I see it as a good move

No doubt that he has connections, however he is hardly independent given he works for the radio station that has the exclusive rights to call NRL games

I couldn't disagree more Mark. These are just some of the instances which are all on public record: Found in contempt of court for releasing details of trials on numerous occasions, has been rebuked by ICAC, criticised the Australian of the Year claiming they only got it because they are 'black', found by the NSW admin Tribunal to have made “outrageous and offensive” remarks about aborigines, been a supporter of Pauline Hanson, found by the courts to have "racially vilified muslim youths", has had numerous defamation cases awarded against him, has breached the Broadcasting Act numerous times, arrested for liaisons in public toilets, then there is the cash-for-comment inquiry as alluded to above, and so many others I could type all day. If he is the type of leader the game is looking for I will give up.

Agree with all you say MB.  And to add insult to injury, there's Terry Lamb putting his hand up.  Didn't he have a laugh when Hoppa put his finger up under his 'coaching'.  The plodders who have been nominated defy belief.  Out of the frying pan into the fire with this bunch of proven duds and spivs.  Why doesn't Penn nominate Beaver, instead of supporting the 'Parrot'?   

After cash for comment he has no credability.  He would say that Ivan Milat is innocent if he received enough money.  

Besides he is a major shareholder in 2gb so he is not independant and has a definate conflict of interest

No one is denying he's made mistakes. You can choose to look at the ugly side only, if you so choose.
Or you be balanced and see that this man has also given tirelessly and unselfishly to charities and the like for many many decades. He has stood up for many fine causes but most importantly, he is a winner and knows how to go about achieving.

Jones is also too close to crowe for my liking, souffs are another storm in the making and having gallop go on holidays up to crowe's ranch just stinks, way too much colluding going on and not too much 'independence' for sure.

RL is a business, and we need people who have shown they know what they are doing, know how to make money and know how to generate interest. Jones has many faults, but we know that he carefully stage managed each of the incidents listed in this thread (minus the toilet one) to create controversy and generate an audience reaction. We would be joking if we said that he came out of any of them worse off, even after fines and compensation he would have made tons off each and every incident, that's how media works.

Alan Jones, knows what he is doing, he is a smart business man and a clever operator - that much has been proven, and as a director of the RL board I am sure he would be a good addition.

WAMF his mistakes outweigh his so called 'charity gigs' that he m-cees at.  He's a turn-off for so many people.  What the NRL Commission needs is not a bunch of sponges, spivs and roaches.  The ex-football players named as having nominated read like a no-hoper brigade.  All still affiliated with clubs.  Why not just the CEOs or their nominees of the 16 teams as the 'Commission?  Sure there'd be fiery debate, but surely control of the game by the clubs is what it's all about.  No one is independent.  And Rusty, a 'clever operator' masks the true nature of the guy.  Read Chris Master's book, Jonestown' about him if you need background.  He denigrates, sneers and pushes Conservative agendas on his 'show'.  Sure that might appeal to some but please, just nominate some leaders of the community who have broad appeal across all political, social and racial divides, not the Jones/Singleton good-ol-boy types.     

DSM, I'm not saying that Jones is the most ideal person but I also wouldn't complain if he got the gig.
What you say about the CEO's has merit but there will never be true independence with that scenario.

John Howard would be a good score, even though he's red v through and through.

WAMF link said:
No one is denying he's made mistakes. You can choose to look at the ugly side only, if you so choose.
Or you be balanced and see that this man has also given tirelessly and unselfishly to charities and the like for many many decades. He has stood up for many fine causes but most importantly, he is a winner and knows how to go about achieving.

I agree WAMF.Also,some of those things mentioned that he has done-well,the truth does hurt,sometimes.Hinch names paedophiles-that is against the law,but is it wrong?Because what a radio commentator says doesn't fit everyones version of Utopia,they are "rebuked" by those that think everything in the world is "peaches and cream,and nice puppy dogs"!
I'd have no problems with Jones being on the independent commission.

Is anyone else a bit concerned that a spot on the new IC seems to be turning into a popularity contest.  We pretty much think the IC is the way to go because its seen as a huge reason for the success of the AFL competition but who knows any of the people who sit on that?  You don't need to be high profile to sit on a board to do a good job.  Although the real power in a new set up in terms of running the game still would stand with the CEO as it does in the AFL.

Anyway, I doubt we'll get a vote.  Jones is a shareholder in Macquarie radio network, and therefore not eligible for a seat, regardless of his dubious past (I would doubt if the CBA would ever put money where he stands after yesterdays spray).  Howard is unelectable if you want Federal government support for future development.  And with Gallop still there, it's all a little depressing.   

I would lean towards WAMFs point of view on this.

Jones might well have debatable history but lets not forget he can only ever be one opinion of 8 on any matter the Commission considers. Just like peoples reactions to his on air controversy and willingness to attach various labels to him, there is much over reaction.

The telling point however is as DSM puts forward. If the IC constitution is to possess credibility then the eligibility test should not be watered down to fit one person. No matter how high profile. 

Well throw some names around for interest sake.

I thought Steve Waugh wa a good nomination

Jones independent? He's a souths fan and Crowe is his mate. Also didn't Gallop stay at crowe's place?

I think most people will question whether he'll be trully independent.

Frogz link said:
Well throw some names around for interest sake.

I thought Steve Waugh wa a good nomination

I would have be more than happy to have Steve Waugh as a represenitive.
Although speaking of cricketing related sportsmen I feel Glenn Mcgrath would also be well respected by most Australians and his Mcgrath foundation could be a bonus with female supporters.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6