News: A mirror to our own failings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Matabele link said:
Yet another NRL season descends upon us blighted by numerous scandals involving young footballers running amok. Predictably this is followed by another outpouring of public outrage at the actions of these highly paid professionals crossing so-called moral boundaries.

It gives me reason to pause and consider the spotlight we place on these young footballers and the expectation we put upon them to be ‘role models”.

Read Full Article
Nice article, although for me the issue of players being role models and heroes is a bit of a red herring.

In the not-so-distant past rugby league players were seldom accused of being role models. Back then they were more commonly lampooned (often unfairly) by sections of the media as dumb violent gorillas.

The gradual change in perception from gorilla to role model is not due to any need for ‘heroes’ but the result of changing economic pressures.

Every step rugby league has taken along the road to full professionalism meant less room for thuggery, whether on or off the field. Remember the bloody battles of the ‘70s? Remember Jim Comans in the ‘80s? Still today we hear Gus bemoan the continual sanitising of the game by lawmakers who remove more and more of the danger and physical risks from the game.

It aint a man’s game any more…

Actually it’s not a game at all, it’s a business now. Most businesses can’t afford to alienate financial backers or large sections of the potential customer base.

To me the question is, ‘why is the NRL suddenly more outraged now than previously?’ (I’m assuming no-one believes it’s because Gallop only just discovered how harmful alcohol can be.) Well, we are 6 months further into a so-called ‘global economic crisis’. Regular workers are losing their jobs left right and centre and working conditions are under pressure across the board. And the competition for sponsorship dollars – and government funding support – is suddenly even more intense.

Gallop’s action was not to protect all the boys and girls from the trauma of seeing their heroes fallen. It was just his kneejerk response to a perceived threat to funding.

By the way, I’m not convinced there really has been “another outpouring of public outrage”. I think it’s largely media driven, and it is actually the outrage of Gallop and the NRL (along with a few media pundits) which is being reported.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4