NEWS: 40 years since 1976 title win

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
40 years since 1976 title win

Wed 27th July, 01:59PM

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles will celebrate two of the Club’s first grade premiership wins at Brookvale Oval this Sunday.

As part of the Golden Eagles Day celebrations in the Club's 70th Anniversary year, the Sea Eagles will show video footage of Manly’s 1976 Grand Final win (13-10 over Parramatta), and the 1996 Grand Final win (20-8 over St George) prior to the main game between Manly and Newcastle at 4pm.

Game Day jersey should have been the double hoops jersey from 76/78 :rock:
download.jpg

The 70's, gee we were a force back then, along with the 80's (although not much to show for it) and then into the 90's.

Sadly I missed the 1972 GF, but haven't missed one since, some wonderful times and some absolute heartbreaks in that 40 odd year spread.

The 70's, gee we were a force back then, along with the 80's (although not much to show for it) and then into the 90's.

Sadly I missed the 1972 GF, but haven't missed one since, some wonderful times and some absolute heartbreaks in that 40 odd year spread.

Mark, I was at the 72 Grandfinal and if you asked me a question about the game I couldn't answer you. I remember nothing other than the cheering and emotion of the day.

For what it is worth, I rate the 76 side as one of our best ever, and Mooney as the best defensive (positional) winger I have seen.

76 was the first Grand Final I attended. Back in those days you got there really early in the morning and when they opened the gates you made a run to get the best seats you could. I ended up sitting near where Neville Glover dropped the ball and where Phil Lowe scored.

I wish I had been around then. I'm only 21. You old blokes were so lucky to have been around for those years. Did any of you guys ever see a dinosaur? That would have been scary!

Mark, I was at the 72 Grandfinal and if you asked me a question about the game I couldn't answer you. I remember nothing other than the cheering and emotion of the day.

For what it is worth, I rate the 76 side as one of our best ever, and Mooney as the best defensive (positional) winger I have seen.

I was only 17 in 1972, my Dad wouldn't let me go by myself ( living in country NSW), but I did manage 1973, and I guess it was much the same I can't remember much of the game as I was standing up on the hill and as I'm only 175 Cm couldn't see Jack ****.

I wish I had been around then. I'm only 21. You old blokes were so lucky to have been around for those years. Did any of you guys ever see a dinosaur? That would have been scary!

Can you change your moniker to " Turbo2" please!!

Lol

Saw a couple of Dinosaurs out at Winton last year , trouble is they'd been dead for 95 million years.

Can you change your moniker to " Turbo2" please!!

Lol

Saw a couple of Dinosaurs out at Winton last year , trouble is they'd been dead for 95 million years.

Not that old bloke from The Australian hotel out at Winton? He's not quite a dinosaur, but jeez it takes a while to get a beer out there!

Side note; The Australian Hotel is in Elderslie Street, Winton. You can't trust those old blokes. They lie. @;)

Not that old bloke from The Australian hotel out at Winton? He's not quite a dinosaur, but jeez it takes a while to get a beer out there!

Side note; The Australian Hotel is in Elderslie Street, Winton. You can't trust those old blokes. They lie. @;)
We went to the North Gregory for a beer and dinner, nice spot and a MASSIVE steak ( for the money).

That 76 GF was the most tense match I can remember.
I grew up as one of the youngest in a family full of parramatta supporters and was therefore banished to the back room to watch on an old black and white tele.
I can still hear the whinging today and was threatened with some violent act by the old man if I stirred anyone up.
It was worth the belting and I got my revenge by recruiting the younger family members to the sea eagles.
What a day...... GO MANLY !!!

That 76 GF was the most tense match I can remember.
I grew up as one of the youngest in a family full of parramatta supporters and was therefore banished to the back room to watch on an old black and white tele.
I can still hear the whinging today and was threatened with some violent act by the old man if I stirred anyone up.
It was worth the belting and I got my revenge by recruiting the younger family members to the sea eagles.
What a day...... GO MANLY !!!

As was the case with me ... your parents obviously got better with practice.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2