New Sea Eagles Chief targets Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
INCOMING Sea Eagles chief executive officer Tim Cleary has declared an upgrade of Brookvale Oval will be “at the forefront of his mind” when he officially takes over the role in December.

The principal of St Augustine’s College replaces Joe Kelly, who departs after two years in the hot seat.

“I can’t wait to start, it will be a fantastic challenge,’’ Mr Cleary told the Manly Daily.

“After 15 years as headmaster (at St Augustine’s) I felt it was time for a change.

“I have been on the Brookvale Oval committee for a number of years and I want to see the facility upgraded to a level where it should be as a thriving NRL club.

“We have the money ready to go from the State and Federal governments. My aim is to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.”

Manly-based Mr Cleary prides himself on his “can- do” attitude and is confident he can tinker with what needs to be addressed at the club.

“The Sea Eagles are an iconic brand and that needs to remain filtering from first grade through to our junior league,’’ he said.

“Previously, I have had nothing but admiration for the club and their winning culture.

“There is an exciting future at Manly and we also have the opportunity to create a centre of excellence at Narrabeen.

“I am looking forward to helping the Sea Eagles prosper on and off the field.”

Club chairman Scott Penn said he had no doubt Mr Cleary was the perfect candidate to succeed Mr Kelly.

“He has strong commercial experience, is an outstanding communicator and is an expert at stakeholder management,’’ he said.

“Tim is also well known in the community and his tremendous development experience with the expansion of the St Augustine’s campus will be pivotal over the next few years.”

Mr Penn paid tribute to the departing Mr Kelly, who had worked “tirelessly” for the club for two years.

Mr Cleary will join the Sea Eagles during a difficult time for the club.

This season they have had to deal with match-fixing implications, sponsorship dramas and a below-par 13th place finish.
While I would love the upgrade of Brookvale Oval to happen as it's been promised over and over and over again I think Mr Cleary has bigger problems like loss of culture and sponsors and rebuilding relationships. Unless they get rid of two key people from that joint this will never happen. As much as I respect Mr Cleary I'll give him 1-2 years unless he's bold enough to make the changes.

I think his role will largely centre on getting the upgrade through and little else. At least in the first couple of years, assuming he lasts considerably longer than his recent predecessors.

While I would love the upgrade of Brookvale Oval to happen as it's been promised over and over and over again I think Mr Cleary has bigger problems like loss of culture and sponsors and rebuilding relationships. Unless they get rid of two key people from that joint this will never happen. As much as I respect Mr Cleary I'll give him 1-2 years unless he's bold enough to make the changes.

In a typical commercial entity, the CEO (who reports to the board) runs the place. The board tells the CEO what result they want, and the CEO delivers.
If this were the case, I would expect that Fulton would report to the CEO. I'll bet that he reports to the board - NOT the CEO.

So, we seem to have TWO reporting lines to the board. It seems to me that the CEO of MWSE Ltd is responsible for the dollars and cents (income and expenses), the back office staff and not much else. Fulton however, OWNS Football team "Culture" and on-field RESULTS. Joe never owned these two kpi's and nor will Mr Cleary.

I'm sure that Joe got the flick purely and simply because of Coco Joy. Maybe he signed them up - maybe he didn't. I'm pretty sure that the guy with the fashionable stubble does not like being embarrassed. Someone had to pay!

Let us not think about blaming Cleary for things that he has no control over.

Last edited:
In a typical commercial entity, the CEO (who reports to the board) runs the place. The board tells the CEO what result they want, and the CEO delivers.
If this were the case, I would expect that Fulton would report to the CEO. I'll bet that he reports to the board - NOT the CEO.

So, we seem to have TWO reporting lines to the board. It seems to me that the CEO of MWSE Ltd is responsible for the dollars and cents (income and expenses), the back office staff and not much else. Fulton however, OWNS Football team "Culture" and on-field RESULTS. Joe never owned these two kpi's and nor will Mr Cleary.

I'm sure that Joe got the flick purely and simply because of Coco Joy. Maybe he signed them up - maybe he didn't. I'm pretty sure that the guy with the fashionable stubble does not like being embarrassed. Someone had to pay!

Let us not think about blaming Cleary for things that he has no control over.
Exactly!

Any CEO in this organisation would just be a puppet for Fulton anyway so why do they bother

If the CEO's main objective is to redevelop brookie then they should have made kerry sibraa CEO

I doubt that Penn's are serious about redeveloping brookie anyway as they now want $70m. If a govt gave them $70m they would more than likely want $100m.

It is hard not to have the feeling that the current owners just want the NRL to force them to move to ANZ stadium as our home ground

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6