New recruits eager to impress early!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bird Up

Reserve Grader
New recruits eager to impress early!

Just two days into a long and arduous pre-season, Sea Eagles new recruits Josh Starling (left) and Manaia Rudolph have already got their sights set on first-grade in 2014.
Sea Eagles 2014 merchandise, just like the training shirts the boys are wearing, are now available for pre-order.

Barely settled in at the Sea Eagles, the pair have been put through several gruelling fitness tests, measuring both anaerobic and aerobic power as they slog it out in the gym.

“It’s tough,” Rudolph said. “You’ve just got to stick it out and go hard for as long as you can. It's important to get good results in these pre-season tests.”

Starling, who joins Manly from South Sydney, has made seven NRL appearances, while teammate Rudolph arrives in the Northern Beaches from the Tigers having played the past two seasons in the Holden Cup.

Former Rabbitoh Starling admits the switch to the Northern Beaches has been a pleasant one, not simply because of the scenery but because of the welcoming attitude of his new teammates.

“It’s a bit different to Souths but just as good, probably better. I’m really loving it hear and everyone has greeted me with open arms.” Starling said.

“It’s been really good but really tough. A lot of testing. I can’t wait to see what they’ve got for us for the rest of the week.

Their goals for 2014? Simple - crack first grade.

"Make the team every week hopefully and have a big pre-season,” Starling said. “We’ve got a few big trials and then just take it from there.”

Rudolph said: “It will be good to get a few games in the NRL. That’s my main goal for next season – within a six to eight month time frame. I’m just going to be working hard trying to earn a spot in first-grade."

With no train or bus routes into the club’s head quarters at Narrabeen, Rudolph catches a train from Holsworthy to Central Station, where Starling and he then drive in together.

Josh Starling – Front row

Was named at prop in the 2013 NSW Cup Team of the Year. A hard runner of the ball with a tireless work rate.

Manaia Rudolph – Half/Centre

Creative attacking back who possesses a dangerous running and passing game. Also boasts an impressive step.

http://m.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/New-recruits-eager-to-impress-early/87238

Sound like a couple of motivated, switched on new recruits! Good luck boys!! :)

“It’s a bit different to Souths but just as good, probably better. I’m really loving it hear and everyone has greeted me with open arms.” Starling said.

"here"

Sheesh - things go to pot (no pun intended amsterDAN) now Larrisa's gone!

edit: Go you young recruits!

Bird Up said:
“It’s tough,” Rudolph said. “You’ve just got to stick it out and go hard for as long as you can. It's important to get good results in these pre-season tests.”

Only six weeks to go before he has to present himself with all the other reindeers...Go hard Manaia!:p

Nice article about Cheyse as well on official site. Huge guy and lots of potential in my opinion. Parra fans detested him (reading about him having a heart of a pea) and comparing him in talent to Esi Tonga.

Great thing he kept saying was he wants to do well under Tooves and maybe we can do another miracle with a washed up player? Unfortunately I had hopes for that man mountain Dean McGlinchey but never showed anything of note. Cheyse is a nice signing, cheap and could be an upside.

"Unfortunately I had hopes for that man mountain Dean McGlinchey but never showed anything"
The truth is slowly being revealed about you Dags.

:)

Mcglinchy looked good in games I saw. Not sure why he ended up in A grade by season's end. He was better than lots of our Nsw cup team. Bit of a mystery that one.

Blair's positioning in defence makes wolfman look like David Gillespie. Maybe he'll improve in a better structured team like manly.

“It’s been really good but really tough. A lot of testing. I can’t wait to see what they’ve got for us for the rest of the week.

It's comments like this that tells me we doing something right and still ahead of the pack, despite the media obsession with the likes of Souths last year.

The last two years have been Souths best in decades and the momentum huge, but still after just a couple of days Starling he's talking up the Manly group as good as (hinting better) than where he's just come from.

And the important thing to note from a player attitude point of view was the last paragraph. That's exactly the attitude that's carried us so high for so long and if this is at the core of Starlings personality, we've got ourselves a good 'un for next year and beyond.

Agree Shoe1 about McGlinchy!! I was shocked he got demoted as well. Look at BJ, maybe needs extra years to progress???

Did any NSW cup plarey improve under Willo last year? No is the answer.

McGlinchy was played as a winger or centre but was a big slow for the backs. He should have been moved into the forwards as a prop. He has good leg speed and size and strength and could develope into a strong prop off the bench if trained properly.

At least as good as Malangi Styles was.

Chase Blair has a good chance to be a back-up for our three-quarters so he will probably see some first grade. I'm hoping he wears our jersey with pride.
He's saying all the right things. By giving 100% he'll find that playing for Manly can be a very rewarding experience.

We have a really great suite of forwards (experience and youth now):-

+ Brenton Lawrence
+ Richie Fa'aoso
+ Anthony Watmough
+ Tom Symonds
+ Justin Horo
+ Glenn Stewart
+ Jamie Buhrer
+ Jason King
+ Matt Ballin

Should be the 08 through 17, then some depth forwards like:-

+ James Hasson
+ Josh Starling
+ David Gower
+ Ligi Sao
+ James Cunningham
+ Michael Chee Kam
+ Jake Trbojevic
+ Nick Skinner
+ Jayden Hodges
+ Dunamis Lui

and I'm sure many others I have left out.

If at all possible, I'd say our forward pack is both younger, and deeper than last year. How good is our recruitment !!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4