New Parramatta Eels recruit David Gower's goal to rise above the Ashes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
NICK WALSHAW •
The Daily Telegraph •
January 05, 2014 12:00AM

DAVID Gower admits, with his name, there are better times to join a new club than during an Ashes series.

"The boys have been having a laugh, yeah,'' the Parramatta Eels recruit grins. "Although it's not just because of England's losses . . . they're all saying I look like Dougie Bollinger."

Plodding away with the Dapto Canaries just two years ago, Gower is the workaholic back-rower who, after being continually denied a regular spot with St George Illawarra, switched to the Manly Sea Eagles in 2013 and made an NRL Grand Final.

Called onto the Sea Eagles bench just three days before the Big Dance - as a late replacement for injured Richie Fa'aoso - the 28-year-old would not win himself a premiership ring, but still played strongly enough for English Super League clubs London and Wakefield to both offer substantial contracts.

Instead, Gower chose the NRL wooden spooners.

Call it the latest, surprising chapter in the life of a footballer whose name actually derives from a bet his old man, a proud Englishman, had with mum during the Ashes series of 1985.

Now for those who haven't heard it before, back in the 1980s and with his wife heavily pregnant, old man Gower wanted his son named after England's current Test captain. But mum, a proud Australian, preferred the name Neil.

And so, the parents agreed to let the series decide it. Waiting through some 30 days of red ball action until, deep in the sixth and final Test, Gower scored 157 to not only hand England the series but, a fortnight later, David Neil Gower his name.

Indeed, it is another young bub, this time the footballer's own daughter Amelia - who at four months is the first child of he and wife Erika - who convinced the new Eels forward to take a significant pay cut and stay in Sydney.

"For a while it looked like I was as good as gone to England,'' the back-rower concedes. "Financially, it made sense and we were actually right at the end of negotiations when Erika and I, we just decided it wasn't the right time for us.

"She has a good support network here in western Sydney, a lot of family and friends, which would've been lost had we moved. And then there was Brad . . ."

Brad, of course, is new Eels coach Brad Arthur. The same man who, as an assistant at Manly last year, helped transform Gower from fringe player to NRL premiership winner.

"At the start of the year I sat down with Brad, who looked after the forwards, and told him I was tired of being a fringe player,'' Gower recalls. "And Brad, he's all about honesty - brutal honesty.

"So he told me some home truths, explained some things that can creep into your style after years of being in the reserves. Effort on effort things. So that's what I've changed.

"I mean, I'm 28 and still haven't played 100 NRL games . . . that's what I want to achieve here at Parramatta."

Geez, he's done well there. The third paragraph has him playing in a grand final, by the 12th he's a grand final winner!:p
Good luck to him. The bigger loss though is Brad Arthur.:(

I can't get over that 'I'm 28 and haven't played a hundred' line.

I liked him when I thought he was a late bloomer/plodder come good.

Now I just think he is a lazy knob.

Who plays for parra!

With the Ashes reference he's right at home at Parra. Massive losers Parra and the poms.

Wish him well.....but with what we have now , he would be in the same position as big George last year. I'm really hoping our forward recruits fire, with king back on top of recent buys I feel really positive about 14 for us all.

He is a journeyman. I can understand why he'd favour his chances of a spot in the top 13 at Doesn'tmatta than in the top 17 at Manly.
Good luck to him. He seems a nice bloke who is battling to make a living playing a professional sport.

I bet Fui Fui won't be making any new large investments now that Gower is on the scene. He'd be nervous about holding his spot in the side. No one is safe at Parra now!

Seriously though, I hope he has a great year this year.

Top End Eagle said:
I can't get over that 'I'm 28 and haven't played a hundred' line.

I liked him when I thought he was a late bloomer/plodder come good.

Now I just think he is a lazy knob.

Who plays for parra!

"A lazy knob"??? Thats a bit harsh mate. Just an honest footballer trying to earn a living. Can't all be superstars.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7