NEW Manly coach Geoff Toovey has issued a clean slate to the players, declaring all p

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagle007

Reserve Grader
http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/12/15/no-position-safe-at-manly-under-toovey/

By Nathan Ryan
15 December 2011 11:47AM EST

ShareNEW Manly coach Geoff Toovey has issued a clean slate to the players, declaring all positions up for grabs - despite the fact they are the reigning premiers.

New Manly coach Geoff Toovey has delivered clean slates to the entire playing group

Getty Images
PrevNextSince taking the reins from Des Hasler, Toovey has ensure his side works hard over pre-season, refusing to make guarantees, stating respect must be earned in 2012.

Bench forward Tim Robinson said Toovey had delivered a shake-up at the reigning premiers.

“Everyone’s playing on their merits,” Robinson explained.

“Everyone’s got a clean slate and pushing for a spot, we’re all training for and trailing for a spot in the team.

“My goal is to get a regular spot in the NRL and pushing all the older boys to go harder.”

For Robinson, Toovey’s instruction to his players has added a load of incentive for him to lift his work ethic over pre-season.

Robinson spent 2011 shifting between first and reserve grade having being often named as 18th man for the NRL side.

“At the start of last year I was just happy to play a game but now I’ve played a few and the opportunity this year I’m happy to be involved,” he said.

“I’m putting my hand up for a spot next year."

It’s not just the playing group he has set a precedent for, the former Manly half has stamped his own mark on the way the side trains and is dealt with during training.

“It was a bit tough when we first came back with only himself and a couple of staff there but now we’ve got our assistants and training has been good,” Robinson said.

“Dessie was a real high intense coach, if you did something wrong he was right on to it whereas Tooves will come to you and show you.

“He (Toovey) is more relaxed which is good and brought in all his little things he wants done.”

With training being pushed forward due to the World Club Challenge against Leeds in England on February 17, Robinson’s teammate Jamie Buhrer says a win would be the perfect start to their attempted rein under Toovey.

“We want to win that,” Buhrer said.

“You want to win every game you play so the World Club Challenge is no different.

"It would be great to get our season off to a good start so that’s a goal.”

Robinson added; “Everyone’s training real hard to get a spot on that flight over there.”

“Training's been really intense.”

OOOOOO YEAH here we come 2012!!!

Sounds like a very different style of coaching from Tooves as well as the different atmosphere around the team, hopefully it is one the players will take to and not think the relaxed style of Tooves means they can slack off.

SeaEagle007 said:
http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/12/15/no-position-safe-at-manly-under-toovey/

“Dessie was a real high intense coach, if you did something wrong he was right on to it whereas Tooves will come to you and show you.

“He (Toovey) is more relaxed which is good and brought in all his little things he wants done.”

I found this interesting. The way Tooves was on the field I could envisage him being intense as a coach too. That said, it's only early days. :D
Great to again hear the positive feedback.
Go Tooves.
Go Boys.
Go Manly.

Tooves was a very intense,driven player just like Des was so I think their coaching styles and discipline won't be too different.

Phantar said:
How on earth will Dean Ritchie spin this into a bad news story?

"Mass exodus by Manly players".

....They're are all off to the UK is search of WCC cup.

It has to be better for the fringe players to know they are in with a chance if they can prove they deserve their spot and with it will come healthy competition which won't allow the main stayers to become complacent.
Des had his favourites and was often blinded by loyalty. Good if you were Chris Bailey, not so much if you were on the fringe.

So 2V is a coach not a dictator? Interesting. It's a good idea to tell all the boys they have a clean slate. However, don't expect to see any new faces too early. At the very least if the young blokes are really pushing for spots early on then it will make the regular starters work harder. Can only be a good thing!

I like the things I am hearing about coach Tooves so far! Would be easy for complacency to creep in once a premiership is won. No melt down to start the 2012 season like what occurred in 2009.

Clean slate eh

So if Dean Whare has a blinding summer of training and Killer gets a bit lazy then it NSW Cup for Lyon next year then is it ;)

Tooves sounds relaxed hey - this bloke is chilled & very switched on, however.....he is arguably the most competitive player I have ever seen & when it comes to game time watch his fierce eyes swell & the slobber drooling from his chops as he rips into the boys. He may well show the players where the execution needs tweaking during training, but come game day Tooves will absolutely fire up imo....cant wait!!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7