New Forum -> opinions, thoughts and other features

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Hi All,

I know it hasn't really been that long and we are all still getting used to the new forums. I wanted however to get your thoughts and opinions on it so far.

I know everyone was used to the old one and change can be annoying but overall I am happy with the change. It has made the site considerably faster, and whilst it may be lacking in a few features, overall I think it is superior to the last.

There are some features like the Buddy list and more detailed profiles that I think are also great, so worth having a look at.

Is there anything else that you can see that may be worth while adding, may be missing etc?

cheers
Dan

For me anything that is good for ou is good for us, so changes dont bother me
1 feature i dont ike that much is

The "New" symbol on the articles. The red one. With the colour of the site as background i just find the Red very busy and very hard to focus on .Its probably just me but im always drawing my head back to re focus on it as there is so many. Something a little more subtle i reckon but its your site and ive only mentioned it as you asked for feedback

Good job though

I find the new layout/format a bit cluttered/busy. It seems like there is loads more stuff going on then I'm ever going to use. Maybe it'll just take some getting used to, but all the flashing "new" signs and the thread rating stars and the bold thread titles just seem to confuse the issue and distract you from the actual forum content. My forum requirements are pretty basic, only want to be able to see thread titles and then read and post in threads.

Once again this is by no means a criticism, as you have/are doing a sterling job. Just some feedback.

love the new forums
the 'like' to facebook feature works really well
maybe a link to twitter can be implemented as well

Fine for me on the laptop but when I browse on my iPad it changes format completely and is not really user friendly. I am sure there is a setting so the appearance is the same but im just too much of a idiot to figure it out.

Garts said:
Fine for me on the laptop but when I browse on my iPad it changes format completely and is not really user friendly. I am sure there is a setting so the appearance is the same but im just too much of a idiot to figure it out.

Down the bottom of the screen on your iPad there will be an option called "Switch to Full Version" this will then display the normal version for the iPad. It is seeing the iPad as a mobile device and offers a more lightweight forum, hitting the above option ignores it and takes you to the standard view

Bradza said:
Dan, is there a way to mark all new posts as "read" (as opposed to red!)?

There is an option at the top of each forum, as well as at the bottom of the main index page for "Mark all read"

Lots of improvements I'm enjoying. Even having a like without a smite seems to have helped improve the mood on the forum. Like the mark all as read feature and the way changed threads then show as bold. The "New" star seems superfluous and distracting as the bolding already does that job.

Wondering (if its a simple change) if it is possible to similarly highlight the individual postings within threads subsequent to the marking of all as read (based on date/time), so we don't need to re-read individual posts to find where we were up to last time.

Is it possible to default everyone to EST, daylight-saving adjusted, so only those not on the eastern seaboard need to adjust time settings.

The maroon/white margin on the left causes the width of the screen to be too narrow on my computer - so the ads, competition ladder, etc on the right get partly cut off. Possible to reduce the LHS margin to ensure the parts on the RHS show?

Hi mate.

If you click on the "New" icon it will take you to the post after the last post you read, so you can continue on from where you are. This is why this is there. It was previously a little green arrow but a few people requested it stand out more. I will work on a happier medium later.

As for the time. I have put everyones timezone to the EST time but without DST so it will need a small check, though I will see what needs to be done and see if I can add the update.

As for how your screen looks. Can you screenshot it for me?

The left and right margin should shrink keeping the site always centred, with that said it is designed for displays greater than 1024 * 768

Dan

You can ignore people by going to their profile and clicking "Add to Ignore List" at the bottom of the screen on the right.

You can also add people to your buddy list in the same way

On first glance I found it different. But thats all, different. Once aclimatised I find it outstanding. Better in every sense.

Makes me want to aspire to become more of a nerd/geek :D

any chance of separating "rugby league" and "manly related" stuff?
i'd prefer to just be able to come on here and read all stuff manly and not have to wade through all the general RL stuff...

cheers

I'll have to put that to a vote, not sure it would work out really. People get sick of jumping between forums

The new layout looks good Dan but the only thing that annoys me is that I keep getting asked to log in. If it hasn't been asked before, is there anyway that you can be logged in permanently or until you log out? I can't find any way of doing it in my User CP.

Daniel said:
Hi mate.

If you click on the "New" icon it will take you to the post after the last post you read, so you can continue on from where you are. This is why this is there. It was previously a little green arrow but a few people requested it stand out more. I will work on a happier medium later.

As for the time. I have put everyones timezone to the EST time but without DST so it will need a small check, though I will see what needs to be done and see if I can add the update.

As for how your screen looks. Can you screenshot it for me?

The left and right margin should shrink keeping the site always centred, with that said it is designed for displays greater than 1024 * 768

Dan

Brilliant Dan. Love it. For me, jumping straight to last viewing is the best new feature.

Not sure how I can send you the screen shot Dan because your email system doesn't seem to accept pasted pictures. But you're right, I'm on 1024 x 768 and when I shift to 1152 x 864 it all fits.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4