1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New concussion rule

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    on the 2pm 2gb news they just said the NRL has ruled that if a player comes off the field concussed he can't return to game the field of play on the same day
    interesting is how they gonna going to police that

no link yet

2. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    On the same day?  wtf.  Just stupid.  Brain injuries take time to heal, if they ever do.  A week off would be my idea of a sensible ruling.  Then only to return on the clearance of a doctor.  The NRL have no idea regarding duty of care. 

3. ayjay007

ayjay007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    Good idea.Just a thought,though,how many players are going to stay down after a minor head knock,to try and get the penalty,and the free interchange?I know it happens now,but to lose an interchange player for the whole game is different.

4. bhot

bhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Will coaches try to keep players on the field if they are concussed?

5. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    yeah I reckon they will

6. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,799 / 122
    Of course. And stall as long as possible before making the potentially disastrous decision to pull them off, knowing they are gone for the match.

7. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    Here come the backslams on star players.

8. bhot

bhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    http://www.sportal.com.au/league-news-display/concussion-laws-tightened-116909

9. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Another Double Standard David kneejerk ruling. Talk about a reactive administration.

10. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    I actually 100% agree with this rule hard to police exactly but it's a step in the right direction and gallops heart is in the right place.

I remember back in the 90's a bloke died at Harbord park because he copped a second knock. He was taken off with concussion. And then went back on copped a knock and passed away.

Hope I didn't dredge up bad memories for anyone on this site, but it's absolutely one of the main reasons this is and should be enforced this thing happens often.

Not sure why anyone would be upset at gallop or the nrl for trying to do the right thing by the players.

If anyone breaks this rule then the fault lays squarely with the coaches and trainers.

11. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    OK, number one problem. Define concussion.

12. The Gronk

The Gronk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    In the AFL they have a standard procedure the doctors go through to diagnose it.  You don't pass the test, you don't go back on.  Simple. 

I'd rather we err on the side of caution when it comes to the brain. 

13. jbb/james

jbb/james Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +885 / 21
    good post, thoughtful.