1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nein Audience down 13% but Foxtel up 20%

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by HappilyManly, Apr 2, 2016.

1. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/channel-nines-nrl-audience-slips-as-fox-sports-ups-it-game-and-viewing-figures/news-story/64901c32d22a08e8baaa6ab92ffd6a3a?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed: dailytelegraphnrlndm (Daily Telegraph | NRL)

Channel Nine’s NRL audience slips as Fox Sports ups it game and viewing figures

an hour ago
    Phil RothfieldThe Daily Telegraph

THE new NRL TV broadcasting deal has delivered the spectacular outcome of an extra 2.3 million viewers from the first month of the premiership.

But it’s bad news for Channel Nine executives who have lost 13 per cent of their free-to-air audience to Fox Sports and its advertisement-free coverage.

While viewers are turning off Rabs and Gus, Fox Sports have not only picked up Channel Nine’s old viewers but lifted their own audience by an average of more than 20 per cent per game.

Channel Nine’s numbers have dropped from 9,888,971 to 8,622,242.

The number of people who watched NRL on television in the first four rounds improved from 13,968,541 to 16,266,878, an increase of 16 per cent compared to last season.

That’s 2,298,337 more viewers overall in the first month compared to last year.

Fox Sports ratings are up for their three simulcast games and five exclusive matches.

The Matty Johns Show and NRL 360 have also increased their audiences. Of the magazine shows, only Peter Sterling’s Show on Fox Sports and the Footy Show on Channel Nine have lost viewers.

The huge number of fans now watching on TV is another reason why clubs are struggling to get bums on seats at the venues and face huge challenges in the future.

It also highlights that the plan to build a new 65,000 seat stadium at Moore Park for club games is nothing but a gigantic waste of taxpayer’s money.

Channel Nine originally paid $925 million for the TV rights but dropped their investment to $650 million when Fox Sports got the right to show all eight games live.

Fox Sports CEO Patrick Delany says he is delighted with the early figures.

“The first four rounds of the NRL produced plenty of drama and excitement but that doesn’t automatically translate into more TV viewers,” he said.

[​IMG]
    Fox Sports is making huge inroads into Nine's NRL audience.
    “It comes from pouring every ounce of expertise, passion and love of the game we’ve been investing over the years to make NRL a sport that truly comes into its own in the living room and in pubs and clubs across Australia.

“We’ve shot out of the blocks this season, with more people watching our live coverage and shows than ever before. Why? Fans are loving the fresh approach of our younger commentary, the slick graphics that we are using to explain key moments of the game.”

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  2. Manlymaniac

Manlymaniac Member

Ratings:
    +90 / 8
    Its great not hearing Gould

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. EaglesDontTweet

EaglesDontTweet Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 15
    Video killed the turnstile star.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. jbb/james

jbb/james Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +885 / 21
    Nine are arrogant,

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    No cross promoting and no ads, we are simple people who just want League and more League :)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
  6. killerspud

killerspud Active Member

Ratings:
    +203 / 2
    Fitler & Gus, that explains it, seriously nein are kidding themselves if they dont understand why this has happened everyone else seems to know and the numbers dont lie.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ralphie

Ralphie Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Bredbo
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 231
    Even better not listening to that fool Ray Warren.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ralphie

Ralphie Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Bredbo
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 231
    Oh wait, Rex did I vilify him?

I must be RayWarrenophobic.........my bad.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Woodsie

Woodsie played strong, done good.

Ratings:
    +4,792 / 100
    You are the reason why Ray Warrens around the world suffer.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Lyonstomenzies

Lyonstomenzies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +607 / 18
    It's because everyone is sick of watching the donkeys every Friday night.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Killer03

Killer03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,701 / 27
    Will ch 9 wake up? Hard to know, but they are very arrogant and have treated league fans with mild disdain for many years, but we could do nothing about it. Now more and more people have the choice they are voting with their remotes.

I'm sick to death of the cross promotion on 9, I don't want to hear Ray Warren going on and on about how he loves The Block. I don't want to hear Gus and Ray pretending to be Bill and Tony and I'm sick of the absolute bias of the 9 commentators. Whilst fox have commentators like Belcher and Alexander who love their teams, they actually seem to be able to show some objectivity. Even Gasnier has stopped being such a tool.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Simonmyers11

Simonmyers11 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,037 / 97
    Never had fox, always had to put up with the dribble from channel 9. This year telstra gave me high def foxtel package to try free for 3 months. Love it. Watch all the games on fox now, so much better! Plus the extra shows like 360 and sterlo are pretty good too. Only thing wife hates it as i have footy on tv most days now, will definitely keep the sport package after the trial period is over.

• Like Like x 4
  13. nightster

nightster grumpy old bastard

grew up Manly now Byron
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 43
    I enjoy the add free coverage on Fox but that Warren dude is a major tosser I turn the sound down and call the Manly games myself ....much more intelligent commentary ....:D

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  14. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,357 / 111
    Dobbin and Ray Hadley ffs

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sheikheagle

Sheikheagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +856 / 53
    Sensational haven't watched nein since start of season. Can't stand warren & Fittler either

• Agree Agree x 8
  16. KOMORI

KOMORI Born and bred an Eagle

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +3,269 / 53
    Biased, rambling commentary, same old teams playing every Friday night, ridiculous self promotion of absolute rubbish programs...

Yeah nah... I'll watch Foxsports thanks...

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. EaglesDontTweet

EaglesDontTweet Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 15
    Don't know what it is about Alexander but when he speaks he usually says something, he's definitely not a dribbler.
    I have said it before that I'm a big fan of Gus as a coach and thought contributor for the NRL. It's obvious to me in his TV role he's being directed to 'perform' an entertainment that research has identified as appealing to the widest demographic (read lowest common denominator).
    And the way that they have eulogised Rabs over the last couple of years must have him squeaming at times. Imagine if they had tried to do that to the late great Moose Mossop.

• Clever Clever x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Rusty Cage

Rusty Cage Active Member

Ratings:
    +285 / 9
    Please don't get me wrong, I love seeing more women in sports commentary, but my god Yvonne Sampson is deadpan boring.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Sheikheagle

Sheikheagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +856 / 53
    Brandy and warren smith together are best by far

• Agree Agree x 7
  20. simon64

simon64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,086 / 27
    Isn't it amazing how dumb the people at Nein are ?

People just want to watch the game. We don't want to hear about Reno Rumble. We don't think Gus is funny. We don't want the competition made even more unfair so you can get bigger ratings in Brisbane.

Lesson number 1. If you don't provide the service, you won't keep the customers.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2