Need a billionaire owner

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
I have waited year after year for a manly fanatical billionaire to emerge from the north shore to buy our club.

Wish that happens sooner rather than later. Hasler should have been offered double what Canterbury offered. A billionaire owner could get rid of all the bickering officials and simplify the structure that runs our club. A billionaire could get us a state of the art renovated Brookie. A billionaire could challenge the salary cap, and not saying that we would buy a premiership, but we would be able the retain the players and coach that we want to keep. Hoppa would have stayed and our latest stars would be retained long term.

Wherefore art thou billionaire?

How about Hugh Jackman? He can teach the boys Broadway-style high stepping, and maybe a few of those Peter Allen maraca manoeuvres… Couldn't be any worse than Rusty at Souths.
But a new saviour would be nice. I've never really taken to Scott Penn, and nothing he's done over the last few months has made me change my mind. Maybe it's the designer stubble that gets me. Criticise Perry and the rest of them all you like, but remember it's Penn who's supposed to be in charge.

To me the problem has always been we should have stayed and struggled like we were or go 100% private ownership. To me the problem is to many people with a little bit of power. To be honest and I'm thankful for the money the owners have put in they just don't have deep enough pockets. We need or needed someone like Tinkler or Palmer to name just 2 but sadly there not Manly fans

We do not need a billionaire to treat the club as his or her plaything and then leave the club on the financial scrapheap when the novelty has worn off.

Imo behind all the boardroom & Zorba hype is the fact that the Penn's & Quantam can not afford to pay overs for a coach.

Both the majority owners have tipped in millions and year after year are required to top up shortfalls. We were reported to be 1.4 million in the red a few weeks back and even if we have clawed back most of that I would imagine that there would still be a need for the owners to contribute funds.

The salary for a coach does not come under the cap so as in the Knights case you can pay them a fortune. The new TV deal will provide a cash bonanza to the clubs but who can say what the cap will be if the clubs get a grant of say 7 million you would think that the cap would be around 5 so that clubs can handle other expenses and pay of any debts etc.

The potential rise in the cap should ensure that players sign short term contracts so if any of our guys do so it should not automatically mean they are planning to jump ship and join Des at the Dogs.

So to sum up I think the majority owners are prepared to take a few hits in the knowledge that in 2013 they will no longer have to tip in their own funds and may in fact make a profit from their ownership via the NRL grants.

Utility Player said:
Imo behind all the boardroom & Zorba hype is the fact that the Penn's & Quantam can not afford to pay overs for a coach.

Both the majority owners have tipped in millions and year after year are required to top up shortfalls. We were reported to be 1.4 million in the red a few weeks back and even if we have clawed back most of that I would imagine that there would still be a need for the owners to contribute funds.

The salary for a coach does not come under the cap so as in the Knights case you can pay them a fortune. The new TV deal will provide a cash bonanza to the clubs but who can say what the cap will be if the clubs get a grant of say 7 million you would think that the cap would be around 5 so that clubs can handle other expenses and pay of any debts etc.

The potential rise in the cap should ensure that players sign short term contracts so if any of our guys do so it should not automatically mean they are planning to jump ship and join Des at the Dogs.

So to sum up I think the majority owners are prepared to take a few hits in the knowledge that in 2013 they will no longer have to tip in their own funds and may in fact make a profit from their ownership via the NRL grants.

I came on to squash your theories by showing some of Quantums numbers to you to be honest. Their year end LOSS of $10,823,000 didn't fill me with any joy to be fair :s

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4