National Pride ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
So Bennett & Bellamy  are going to help the Kiwis & Brian Smith the Poms to try to beat Australia in the 4 nations
thoughts ?

Ultimately the strengthening of International Rugby League means the game grows and the more it grows the better the competition will be, the more sponsors it will attract, the more money will be in the game and overall the better the whole thing will be.

I don't have a Southern Cross Tattoo but am proud to be Australian, that doesn't mean I wouldn't go work in/for the US, UK or Holland if my company asked me to

Most rep footy is a farce. Dont get me wrong, i love it, love the concept but the eligability rules for players are a joke. In my belief your passport or your birth certificate determines where players should play and nothing else. NSW, Qld, NZ etc

As for the coaches helping out,rep footy needs aussie coaches to spread the knowledge or we will be forced to watch another 30 years with spasmodic victories

The dominance of aussie cricket made cricket boreing, the footy is doing the same

These days i have a soft spot for the poms as they show more tradition, and pride in the jumper. The poms could pick a million kiwis and aussies on that 2 year residency rule that allowed brent webb to play for NZ, but they wont pick them because they are not english and i appluad that. They will get beaten again but they are a pommy side, full of poms and that is classy

The aussie team should have a no dickheads policy as well and we would only field half a side

Professional game means people will be paid to do a job. We are kidding ourselves to think that virtually any player will only be at Manly as they love the place. The environment has to be right but in the end it is the money that is paid.

In virtually every sport, coaches are hired from elsewhere to coach in Australia. No reason why it shouldn't be the same in League.

Yep, no probs at all.
Aussie Pim had no problems lining us up against the Dutch. That's the way it goes.

I have no problems with it. Everyone has a price. Even Bennett said for the right price he'd coach NSW. We're talking about the coaches here, not the players. All players should have been born in the country or be a citizen of the nation to play for them. Coaches it doesn't matter and makes me beam with pride that at least 3 of the 4 teams will be coached by Aussies, and all 4 are being coached by people from the NRL. Says a lot about our competition.

Duff mentioned Pim, what about Guus (Dutch) our current German coach (forgot his name), or Robbie Deans for the Wallabies?

As I said before, everyone has a price and why shouldn't these teams milk the best talent in coaching from the best league/nation?

At the end of the day it's business.

20 years ago I sold almost 100% Qantas

Now they wouldn't account for 5% of my sales

I am as patriotic as the next person, but business is business and if other airlines (using my business as an example) pay me more why would I sell Qantas.

Same goes for Bennett, pay him and he'll coach anyone even NSW

Speaking of which WHY THE **** HAVEN'T WE ASKED HIM!!!

I'm all for assisting the development of the game in countries like Papua New Guinea or Samoa but I don't think New Zealand or England need our help. They have the similar financial backing and training facilities..save the assistance for those who genuinely need it !

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
So Bennett & Bellamy  are going to help the Kiwis & Brian Smith the Poms to try to beat Australia in the 4 nations
thoughts ?

Tony Smith is helping PNG as well

Post  automatically merged: [time]1286956548[/time]

A few thing's need to be done to get the RLIF up to say the IRB or FIFA's standard.
The most important one is to get rid of some of the current board as it stand's it's worse then the ICC.

The more of a contest, the greater the passion.

Once upon a time the interstate matches were based on residency and it was a no-contest.  Rules changed to state of origin, the contest grew and so did the passion.

Kiwis representing Manly? A horror 60 years ago, no problem now.

If your grandmother owned an English Bulldog, maybe that's enough to play for the Poms. If you've a distant relative in Bondi then you're a Kiwi. Don't care much what rules they bring in if they bring back a contest.

Mark from Brisbane link said:

Speaking of which WHY THE f**k HAVEN'T WE ASKED HIM!!!
actually the question was put to him, he said no!
i love the fact he'll coach against Aust, but won't coach against QLD!

Rex link said:

Once upon a time the interstate matches were based on residency and it was a no-contest.  Rules changed to state of origin, the contest grew and so did the passion.

If your grandmother owned an English Bulldog, maybe that's enough to play for the Poms. If you've a distant relative in Bondi then you're a Kiwi. Don't care much what rules they bring in if they bring back a contest.
lol 60 yrs ago maybe we didnt   import any because we were 3yrs old  thats why..lol

i mean 3 yrs as an entity the `manly warringah sea eagles` plus in the 40`s & 50`s & most 60`s it was un heard of to import poms or kiwi`s any way..

Post  automatically merged: [time]1286960777[/time]

brookie link said:
[quote author=Mark from Brisbane link=topic=185750.msg302234#msg302234 date=1286948182]

[/quote]he was shIIt as aussie coach we lost the tri series in uk with him then lost the world cup with stuart ...  bunch of fools ..  if you need a job done right  send in the clown bozo was the best aussies coach  since churchill.

Canteen Worker link said:
I you were born in Polynesia you can play for Tonga one week and New Zealand the next.
And then rock up for Australia a week later

Post  automatically merged: [time]1286961119[/time]

jjai link said:
[quote author=Rex link=topic=185750.msg302251#msg302251 date=1286958664]

Once upon a time the interstate matches were based on residency and it was a no-contest.  Rules changed to state of origin, the contest grew and so did the passion.

lol 60 yrs ago maybe we didnt  import any because we were 3yrs old  thats why..lol

i mean 3 yrs as an entity the `manly warringah sea eagles` plus in the 40`s & 50`s & most 60`s it was un heard of to import poms or kiwi`s any way..

Post  automatically merged: [time]1286960777[/time]

brookie link said:
[quote author=Mark from Brisbane link=topic=185750.msg302234#msg302234 date=1286948182]

[/quote]he was shIIt as aussie coach we lost the tri series in uk with him then lost the world cup with stuart ...  bunch of fools ..  if you need a job done right  send in the clown bozo was the best aussies coach  since churchill.
[/quote]

Have a look at the player's that pulled out in that series and that might be why we lost.
Oh **** look at this year's team we might suffer the same fate.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4