MWRL Football Club AGM 2011 (and Proxy voting)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

vidmar

Bencher
The Football Club AGM will be held on Thursday 15th December 2011.

Each member should receive notice in the mail soon if they have not already.

If you don’t in the next few days please call the Leagues Club (who administer the database) on 02 9939 6722 and make sure your details are registered correctly (and ask for a new copy of if need be.)

There will be a resolution considered that all applicants for the role of directors be appointed (Namely existing directors re-elected with the exception of Damien Smith and Cliff Lyons who it is proposed will be replaced on the board by P Peters and N Muscat)

The notice of meeting will include proxy voting details and you will need to complete the relevant paperwork and get it to the company secretary prior to 7pm Tuesday 2011 (ie 48 hours before the AGM) if you can’t make the meeting and/or wish to appoint a proxy to cast your vote on the election and other matters.

I’ve been asked prior to previous meetings and also recently by a number of people to be their proxy at this meeting so if you still wish that to be the case you will need some details from me to complete the form.

Please contact me directly or send me a PM through this site with your contact details so I can get back to you (The proxy does need to be lodged with the company secretary – I can’t just take it with me on the day?)

I would however encourage all those that can attend the meeting to do so and hope to see a few of you there then

Vid - I have a question regarding the notice, in particular point 6.

"To transact such other business of which due notice has been given"

Does this mean nothing can be raised from the floor (eg General Business/questions to the board) unless prior notice is given?

If so how does that notice have to be provided? Couldn't see anything in the notes which clarified this.

Cheers

Geoff

Bones - Rory is listed as N Muscat on the forms (maybe he uses Rory instead of his given name?)

Wheel - As per usual the meeting will be opened to the floor for any other business.
If you have a specific notice you'd like to raise (especially if it would require a person to check details or facts or collate information to allow an answer?) then send it in writing asap to the company secretary at the address on the proxy form?

vidmar said:
Bones - Rory is listed as N Muscat on the forms (maybe he uses Rory instead of his given name?)

Wheel - As per usual the meeting will be opened to the floor for any other business.
If you have a specific notice you'd like to raise (especially if it would require a person to check details or facts or collate information to allow an answer?) then send it in writing asap to the company secretary at the address on the proxy form?

I have a question....

Can I have a sandwich?

Just want to clear up something up for this year's director voting - there are 6 positions available and only 6 nominations, so really there is no real point in voting against anyone? as I really don't know anyone who are requesting a seat as a director except of course Peters and there is no sort of info/bio sheet available to know a little more about them.

I guess it depends on whether the specific positions are up for grabs

Joey said:
Just want to clear up something up for this year's director voting - there are 6 positions available and only 6 nominations, so really there is no real point in voting against anyone? as I really don't know anyone who are requesting a seat as a director except of course Peters and there is no sort of info/bio sheet available to know a little more about them.

I got mine yesterday.

Question to Vidmar based on Joey's post.

How can we get more information on the individual's running for election of directors. The sort of stuff I am looking for is what is the background history that would make them a great director.

How many people normally turn up to the AGM, never have been to one before and would like to attend this time round.

To answer Joey’s point - Under the club constitution if there are only 6 nominations for the 6 director spots then those people are elected unopposed (And as that is the case now then the vote this time is pretty much a formality)

If there were more than 6 then a ballot would take place.

If there were less than 6 then those nominated would be elected and further nominations sought.

If there was a person on the board that members or other board members would want removed then that is a whole other process (involving them being notified 2 months before a general meeting etc etc.)

The numbers that turn up at the AGM have varied over the years (dependant upon some key voting issues) but I’ve never seen more than 50/60 in recent times from memory.

This has generally indicated (backed by the proxy votes of members who didnl;t attend) that people have been pretty happy with what has been done by those on the board and in the main have agreed with the resolutions raised previously (eg Beaver Life member etc)

To expand on Wheels question – I’ve confirmed there will definitely be time for questions but any formal notices (that will involve adding resolutions for member voting) must be lodged 14 days prior to the meeting – so by 1st December 2011

Bones - as thought - Rory's given first name begins with an N

One eyed eagle - It's good you are planning on coming to the meeting as you will have ample opportunity to meet each director and then ask them why they think they will make a good director?

Bob, in the paperwork sent does it indicate whether you are able to vote (ie 3 years of membership).

I havnt had a full read yet but imagine there are many who are not 100% sure

Vidmar as you know I am a supporter and friend of yourself and have consistently been a vocal supporter of the Football Club in forum discussions for several years. But to call a spade a spade ... won't this AGM be just going through the motions?

There is to be no election of directors, therefore no candidates have to declare anything to members by way of their plans/platform/policies/intentions - or anything at all.

As I understand it there will be a time for questions. I have never been to an AGM of the Footy Club (I do plan to get down for this one) but I have been to other AGMs and plenty of other public meetings. In my experience, to expect to achieve something meaningful from debate at an AGM is opti-opti-optimistic.

Is there a reason this meeting won't just be an event for the sake of formality?

Is the Football Club a closed shop or not?

Signed
'Curious'

Id liked to see it written into the consitiution that members nominate and vote for the 2 mwse reps from within the 7 fc members.

Just food for thought

Normally in any group with financial holdings (depending how set up) there is legal requirement for an annual general meeting to accept and approve accounts, receive reports, vote board members etc. I assume that members will vote to receive the treasurers report and can ask questions. This ensures accountability and transparency.

My understanding is that at an AGM comments can be made for consideration by the board but there is no binding provision that anything mentioned has to be approved etc. It will all depend on the constitution.

Hi all,

Just to clear a couple of things up, I am known as Rory which is my second name. My background is in Finance (however I am now working in the accountancy field) and I have been a Manly supporter for 45+ years. My contribution to the club has been the establishment of the One Eyed Eagles the brain child of myself and Grant Mayer back 2007, this group was set up for the High Profile supporters of the club and is still operating today.

My mission on the MWDFC Board is to influence the Sea Eagles to board to concentrate on the success of Manly Sea Eagles both on the field and financially and of course to represent the Members of MWDFC the best way possible.

I don't post very often, but I am more than happy to listen to your concerns like Vid does now and taken them to the Board to be addressed.

Also I am not a local, I will traveling a fair distance to attend meeting hence my commitment to the cause.

Cheers all Rory

Manly 629 said:
My mission on the MWDFC Board is to influence the Sea Eagles to board to concentrate on the success of Manly Sea Eagles both on the field and financially and of course to represent the Members of MWDFC the best way possible.
Thanks for offering that resume Rory. Good luck with the election (lol).

Clearly there are many issues for the Sea Eagles at any time that are sensitive, and for one reason or another should not be broadcast with a loud hailer until the appropriate time – eg: sponsor negotiations, staff and player appointments. The activities of One Eyed Eagles probably also come into this category, and well done for your role in establishing that network.

However – the criticism of the FC over a period of time has included that it is democratic in form but not in reality.

There are a number of areas where the voice of fans should reasonably be sought. This includes Sea Eagles issues (eg home games away from Brookvale, fan/'member' packages etc) but also many issues where the Sea Eagles get to present a view to the NRL on wider issues - such as the IC, appointment of Gallop, and many more.

So – what are your ideas on "the best way possible" to represent the members of MWDFC? Do you have any thoughts on how to provide information to members? How do you plan to find out what the informed views of members are? In other words, do you consider your role is to represent the views of members, or just to put forward what you consider to be in the interests of members?

It is to your credit that you present yourself here on this forum. Of course everyone here is not a FC member. If for any reason you don't wish to discuss your views here, were you proposing to circulate anything to FC members?

Cheers
Lachlan

Manly 629 said:
Hi all,

Just to clear a couple of things up, I am known as Rory which is my second name. My background is in Finance (however I am now working in the accountancy field) and I have been a Manly supporter for 45+ years. My contribution to the club has been the establishment of the One Eyed Eagles the brain child of myself and Grant Mayer back 2007, this group was set up for the High Profile supporters of the club and is still operating today.

I don't post very often, but I am more than happy to listen to your concerns like Vid does now and taken them to the Board to be addressed.

Also I am not a local, I will traveling a fair distance to attend meeting hence my commitment to the cause.

Cheers all Rory

Look forward to meeting you in person Rory.

OneEyedEagle said:
SER8, if your going to the AGM, I still owe you a beer!
Haha, it will depend on whether I stay overnite in Sydney. But I'll keep in touch about it.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4