Mullane's proud reign at an end

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Stewy will be 5/8 before his career is over but while he's still young it'd be a waste of his current strengths.
We don't have another fullback yet.

while it looks good on paper.. i dont see why we should ruin his career (now that hes an australian international at fullback) because our inept management and coach released Burns ( a natural 5/8 ) and our no.1 playmaker in Monaghan... and our most promising youth product Groom in the halves position.

Looks really stupid now doesnt it.. releasing 3 decent options to pay Lyons contract so he could run around like a donkey in the halves.

burns was a halfback until he came to manly, as was witt, groome and the rest. Our best genuine 5/8 we have had is JP Cherry yet we never want to chase one.

Most of our premiership are on the back of a great 5/8 with a good halfback

Ka Za, Stewy is going nowhere as the Australian fullback.  On his current form he won't get picked.  No one from Manly will.  Kiwi, there is no point of attack without a competent 5/8 and Stewart would see a lot more of the ball there.  Fluff is correct, the Eagles have only ever got there with a good 5/8th, without one we struggle, always have, always will.

Stewart has a decent boot on him if Saturday's showing is anything to go by.  But his strength is streaking in from the back unexpected.  Why weaken one position to strengthen another.

Might be time for LeStrange to be given a run at 6 - but it won't happen unless Lyon gets injured. 

why.. with one of the best fullbacks have we not had one set play for the guy? its really a shambles in attack.. looks like Des got the ****s with the defence in the grand final.. they worked hard on it and to their credit is quite good.. and forgot all about the attack.. we have good wingers and a top fullback who can score tries yet.. the set plays are TAKE THE BALL UP.. MAKE A STUPID OFF LOAD AND DROP THE BALL.

Wasn't Mullane also a centre that was forced to play 5/8?

The only difference is, Mullane had 2 ****e knees.

Maybe Des is looking to retire the #6 jersey, and its position as a sign of respect to Cliff Lyons.

I want Nik Kosef back !!! He's one player that WAS good enough to be diverse !

Also, how much dough are we wasting on Lyon?

SilentBob link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=177136.msg180011#msg180011 date=1206185616]
Time for a YART:-

01. Michael Bani
02. Michael Robertson
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Steve Matai
05. Steven Bell
06. Brett Stewart
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Heath Le'Strange
15. Josh Perry
16. Adam Cuthbertson
17. Glenn Hall

Out there I know...espescially fullback and 5/8...but we have to try SOMETHING don't we?

Replacing Lyon with another player out of position, no thanks. Just stick anyone with solid defence and a decent long kicking game in at 5/8.
[/quote]

That's Lyon isn't it? He has solid defence and can kick long...

Ryan link said:
Maybe Des is looking to retire the #6 jersey, and its position as a sign of respect to Cliff Lyons.

Maybe not as stupid as it sounds. Since Cliffy retired have we had a genuine 5/8th talent play ?

I can think of the following 5/8th's over the last few years

Lyon
Burns
Monas
Menzies
Mullane
Harris
Witt
A Walker
B Walker
Dorn ( :D the great white hope)

Of that lot, both the Walkers looked most likely in terms of ball playing ability, but had defensive deficiencies. I think Andrew was a better fullback/winger anyway, and played there for just about every other club he went round for, regardless of code.

Hardly a who's who of 5/8th talent is it now.

I think A walker was better in 5/8 than fullback

Ben walker had the attacking skill but was a first rate turnstyle.

I also liked Witt but he had the same issues with defense. I am wondering though why we couldn't move them to the outside for defensive plays and work around their weakness like the tigers with Benji

Other teams seem to develop there own, excepting the Cowgirls.  Brett Stewart could be developed, but I don't think Dessy has the smarts to consider it.  He's wedded to 'god knows what'.  And A Walker was another turnstile, as were most of them.  Maybe Willo, who isn't a 'turnstyle' at least, should be confirmed at 5/8 and told to just pass to Lyon or tackle anyone who's coming through..   

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4