• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'd also like to know - so I don't cross paths with him in that industry either !!! LoL.

By the way Garts - your right mate - we are regulated to the HILT. UCCC, Privacy etc etc...it's never ending. LoL

Ryan, I am not sure what your position is within the bank but it seems clear that you are not involved in coal face business negotiations. If you think, that in a competitive enviroment deals are not won & lost on what is said in private negotation you have an awaful lost to learn.

If you ever believe that business is conducted on the level playing field that the Trade Parctices Act tries to tell us it is then your naivety truly concerns more.

I can recall a ANZ Bank ad that stated something along the lines "if you stand in line for more than 10 minutes we will pay you $5.00, GIO are currentlly running an ad where it says you can the choose the repairer of your choosing, these ads are clearly pointing to the perceived flaws with their competitors, yet they are shown on national TV. It is not what you say, it how you say it.

As I said "sadly that is the nature of business", I play the game it needs to be played.

[quote author=Matabele]
Are you choosing to not answer my question Pete?
Definintley not, but if I do not know the (factual) answer to your question I guess my answer will be "I do not know"

[/quote] It ain't rocket science sweety, and you know it.

Ryan, I am not sure what your position is within the bank but it seems clear that you are not involved in coal face business negotiations. If you think, that in a competitive enviroment deals are not won & lost on what is said in private negotation you have an awaful lost to learn.

If you ever believe that business is conducted on the level playing field that the Trade Parctices Act tries to tell us it is then your naivety truly concerns more.

I can recall a ANZ Bank ad that stated something along the lines \"if you stand in line for more than 10 minutes we will pay you $5.00, GIO are currentlly running an ad where it says you can the choose the repairer of your choosing, these ads are clearly pointing to the perceived flaws with their competitors, yet they are shown on national TV. It is not what you say, it how you say it.

As I said \"sadly that is the nature of business\", I play the game it needs to be played.

Perceived flaws?

How is ANZ saying if you stand in line for more than 10 minutes, they will give you $5- a go at any other insitution. Wouldn't it be that they are saying their service is improving all the time. So much so they can guarantee $5 to anyone in a queue more than 10 minutes.

If GIO are saying the repairer of your choice, aren't they saying all repairers are quality, and an endorsement of sorts?

I am in fact in the face of high net worth Business negotiations. Therefore "The Trade Practices Act" is in fact MORE relevant to me than a lot of other people.

I am right on this one and you know it. Just because something unethical happens in day to day business in general, or in the past, doesn't make it right today. Laws have been put in place to be upheld...not let slide because someone is too naive to think it doesn't happen everywhere. I tell you now Pete, it doesn't happen here. I won't put my self in a position to be held accountable to get a deal through. I have a family.

Apologies for the "goose" and "hypocrite" thing too dude. I'm still dissapointed / upset that you questioned my professional intergrity a few weeks ago, because it is something I hold strong too.

I'll repeat, unlike years ago, when say Pee Bo could come out and say, their products kill cocroaches faster than say Mortein, today it will be "Pee Bo, we kill creatues FAST.

I don't pretend to know you, and obviously you don't care to divulge anything about yourself/career etc to me, but from one person to another, if you go into an opposition's flaws in their products / services, and that company finds out you specifically have done this, I hope you have a decent back up plan (have you seen the penalty - in specifics - for breaches in this?).

My family is too important to me for that.

Ryan, What about the Duracell v's Eveready ads? You can and are able to point out flaws, as long as they are FACT.

these sort of breaches are very hard to prove Ryan thats why they occur. not many businessman or women would be dumb enough to put comments bagging competitors onto written correspondence, it is all verbal. so it comes down to someones word vs another persons which is very hard to prove.

How can you say it does not "happen here"? are u part of every meeting the NAB is involved with? I am sure the cases of it would minimal if any with your company but it is a pretty big statement to make.

Ryan, there are plenty of businesses out there who operate the way that Corso Pete is trying to say. Some would even call it - excellent negotiation skills. In the banking business, you could also call it - 'meeting your customers needs', by ensuring your customer has all the facts. It's a way of life for some businesses to educate their staff to use these tactics. The thing that concerns me is, you keep referring to your family being important (which I completely understand and commend), but if for example you 'broke the golden rule', would your company that you are so loyal to, not take the consequences and back you up? After all, you are an employee and therefor acting on their behalf.

Also, I am wondering if there is some confusion with the debate happening here. There are pretty strong guidelines when it comes to 'advertising' rules - do these rules also apply when actually 'selling' a product?

As a customer, we all look for the best deal - that's just human nature. I personally would appreciate someone pointing out to me something I may have overlooked in the other product. The bottom line is, it's my choice in the end. It's the same as financial advice - it's just that 'advice'. It's up to the Advisor to make the customer aware of all the pro's and con's.

(Got a bit lost in all that while I was writing it - hope it makes sense. BTW not having a go at you Ryan - just trying to understand where you are coming from :)

In my industry they call them "competitive papers" and outline the benefits of your companys products versus all the main competition. I thought nearly everyone used them.
Banks don't deserve to have them because their fine print goes on for 15 pages and not even their own employees understand them ;) :)

Clonts....they are made by the same people I think dude...

Garts - I can tell you with the utmost confidence The Bank does not breach any Trade Practice laws. We sign a decleration to that end dude. ALL of us.

Kiwigirl - that's cool, this is a debate now, not an argument....I'm not taking anything personal.

[quote author=clontaago]
Ryan, What about the Duracell v's Eveready ads? You can and are able to point out flaws, as long as they are FACT.
I think they're made by the same company.
[/quote]

Sorry Matas, Eveready and Energizer are made by the same company, Duracell are a different kettle of fish.

I can see the ad now.

"Buy energizer because Duracell are crap" :)

you'll have to stop feeding Rhino dodgy info cause he quotes it as fact 3 posts later ;)

I'm not buying into the rest of the argument clon.

Just like pointing out when Matas is wrong :)

To be fair it doesnt happen all that often.........

Congratulatiions Ryan, if you word is true to your actions then you truly do your business in a most professional way. That is just not the case in the world I work in., and from most of the responses here it seems plenty of us work in a far more unfriendlier atmosphere than you do.

Now if only I could get my bank to fully explain their fee structure, why they deem it neccessary to increase them and introduce new ones with what seems like monotounous regularity and do that on just one page instead of a PDS that goes on in print so small that surely no normal person could read them comfortably then your industry will live up to your own personal high standards.

ps: This is not meant as sarcasm towards you but a general dislike of the banking industry and the way they treat customers, particulary in relation to fees, commissions and other crap that they seem to be able to charge you without really ever explaining it in any other way but to just increase their revenue. As a banker you may be able to advise us all of much the banking industry now collect in "fees" as opposed to say 10 years ago and how have those fees have increased their level of service to to us customers?

This is a brief summary of the Trade Practices Act with respect to this matter. While some of us may have a romantic notion of how idealistically sound our business practices are, bottom line is you can say virtually anything you want about a competitor as long as it is FACT and you are not misleading the consumer. One recent example that springs to mind is the Heron Paracetamol vs Panadol stoush.

Comparative advertising:
Advertising that directly promotes the superiority of one business’ products over another’s may result in a real and deserved commercial advantage. However, comparative advertising that misleads or might mislead could result in legal action by consumers, competitors or the ACCC. Make sure that when comparing products, you compare like with like—that is, you should only compare your product to your
competitor’s most directly comparable product.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6