• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Eagle

First Grader
Anyone got some suggestions on what a new as rider should buy? I'm looking at a few bikes but have the second/third and most likely last bike to be a V-ROD for personal tastes more than anything else

Would it be worthwhile going through 3 bikes in 18 months? Or just starting higher than this Kawasaki 125 that i'm seriously considering? I haven't ridden anything yet so just wondering what options would be better so I don't lose the back section of my head

Hiya,

When I got my licence I started looking at road bikes. Luckily for me enough friends and riders said to get a road/trail bike first.

I was also lucky enough to live on some acreage and as they said; "hitting the ground is softer than hitting a truck"

Plus they are easier to ride than a road bike.

My first bike was a honda xlx 250cc that I bought from some guy who had it on the side of a road. ($600)

It was a kickstart - 4 stroke.

I hate kickstarting bikes as does my ankle. However I could ride it around the farm, learn to balance, fall off a few times, etc.

It wasn't a two-stroke so there was no chance of a 'big power boost' to get me into trouble.

So I was happy with that. 250cc was powerful enough to learn to ride on without getting into trouble.

After that I went the roadbike path as I had gotten experience by then.

I haven't ridden for awhile. Last time was on a honda fury which was a damn nice ride.

So would it be worth it? Well, I went though 2 bikes, not three in 18 months and was happy to match bikes with experience levels. I'd like to say you can go higher than a 125cc but I don't know your skill level. I was a beginner when I got the 250cc.

It's a fun but inherently dangerous pastime as once on the road it's like you're invisible to motorists.

Let your eyes be your balance and if you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet.

I have been riding for 40 years, started off on a 100cc dirt bike, then a 250 dirt bike , then a 400 dirt bike that I could take on the road. Then to a 750cc road bike, which had for years, then a gap of many years and now a Triumph 955cc that goes like a scalded cat. The secret here is I agree multiple bikes, start small get used to it and then upgrade. Personally I hate HD, they are wanker bikes just bought for " the look" and " the sound" they are rough to ride, don't perform very well and cannot be compared to real bikes. Hope that helps but remember just my opinion only

Mark from Brisbane said:
I have been riding for 40 years, started off on a 100cc dirt bike, then a 250 dirt bike , then a 400 dirt bike that I could take on the road. Then to a 750cc road bike, which had for years, then a gap of many years and now a Triumph 955cc that goes like a scalded cat. The secret here is I agree multiple bikes, start small get used to it and then upgrade. Personally I hate HD, they are wanker bikes just bought for " the look" and " the sound" they are rough to ride, don't perform very well and cannot be compared to real bikes. Hope that helps but remember just my opinion only

I'm not getting a HD because i'm a massive fan of HD, i'm getting one because its the rolls royce of motorcycles and the V-ROD looks more like a muscle car on 2 wheels (strangely the muscle version looks like ****) its the most subdued ridable looking thing they have,I hate the idea of high handlebars but that model doesn't use them which its why its my target, but that could change in time

So my skill level is I can drive a manual car and I can ride a pushy, mountain and Bmx

I have not ridden an actual motorbike yet....

When you can ride do yourself a favour, ride a V Rod and then ride something like a BMW RT1200, then you'll know what I mean. HD are not the Rolls Royce of bikes, more like the Hummer of bikes

I agree with Mark. HD are just Mack trucks when a real bike gives thrills and performance. Learning on dirt is the best idea, then progress to loose gravel. When you can handle those then most roads become a breeze. Big blokes should start with around a 250. Next progression should be a solid 500. They are heavy and you learn a lot about weight balance and kick on different surfaces. The really big bikes, and I have been on a 1150, take a lot of strength and experience. Don't rush because you don't get too many chances after making a mistake.

And be prepared that you may get hurt , evening after thousands of KMs and hours of riding, I lost a bike in 2003 on a corner due to some bastard dropping oil on the road, never saw it....the result ... 12 weeks off work and a complete shoulder reconstruction. And this from a highly experienced rider. They sure are fun to ride but EVERY time I get on mine I am **** scared some bastard us going to run into me, just be aware NO SECOND CHANCES

So places do let you test ride a bike like those?

I was looking at the 2013 2013 Honda 250cbr repsol edition before I thought of cutting the power down with a 125cc Kawasaki which is a brand new 2010 version that's there for $4000

I don't really want something that could chuck me straight off while i'm trying to learn the craft lol

A " sports bike" like the CBR versions may in fact not be the best to learn on. You'll be limited to a 250 until you gain a full licence, and probably a 250 is ok as you don't want to be underpowered as well. There should be loads of suitable learner bikes second hand as after people get their full licence they all upgrade. Not the worlds best brand but I think Hyosung make a very suitable " sit up" learner bike, I'd google " learner bikes" and then go onto bikesales. Com.au and try and find something. Needs to be light and easy to sit on, the CBR variety has you leaning over the tank and for a learner that can be quite daunting. Don't go for a scooter as they behave entirely different to a proper bike.

Anyway hope this has helped, good luck if you master the art they are a lot of fun

Pretty sure most states don't allow learners to ride a 250cc two stroke as well (due to the powerband).

But 4 strokes are no probs.

Tis good fun though.

Mark, it's nice that triumph finally make bikes without the mandatory oil leaks nowadays!

Ha Global, they are high quality these days, especially the triples the 955 ( old now) replaced by the 1050 Engine are spectacular. So much low down torque , just amazing to be in 6th gear cruising at 110 and come up behind a car and a simple flick if the wrist gets you around without even changing down. The only issue is you look down at the speedo to see you are doing about 170, whoa baby time to ease off !!

Most of the modern bikes are so quick, my bike weighs 235kg and has 104 BHP, my Prado weighs 2.5 tonnes and has 135........ Enough said

Agree with everything Mark has said. Harley Davidson, creator of the world's most expensive boat anchor.

You have not ridden a motorbike yet and already you have decided you want a V-Rod ?? Seems you might already be caught up in the image.

As other have suggested here, learning to ride off road gives you a much better grounding in bike handling. Also it is a safer environment to learn from your mistakes. I can't imagine how anyone learns to ride on the road in traffic and with a lot of unforgiving street furniture around. I crap myself everytime I ride in Sydney traffic, you don't win many arguments with cars when you are on a bike, and the sad thing is that you don't even have to be at fault and you come off second best. So many bike unaware riders on the road it's frightening.

You might be better off hiring a bike a few times to get some feel for what you like before you dump $4K on some piece of crap 125cc blowfly in a bottle. Do you have any mates with bikes that you could borrow ?? I'd suggest getting together with a couple of mates and hiring a dirt bike or two and go to a bike farm (there's one at Maroota) and have a crack. You are going to have a few offs as you learn the limits of your ability and the bike capabilities, so better that not happening on bitumen. Once you get a bit of confidence than get amongst the traffic on the road

Oh and make sure you have the right safety gear, none of this riding around in shorts and thongs

Mark from Brisbane said:
Oh and make sure you have the right safety gear, none of this riding around in shorts and thongs

Very good point. I know it is common sense but it doesn't matter how hot it is - a jacket, good gloves, strong jeans and boots are a must. The issue is never your competency, as a nudge from a car or oil or ice on the road and you can kiss half an arm or leg goodbye. When you see someone in a T, shorts and thongs all you can do is pray for them because a spill will leave them a mess and probably for the rest of their lives.

I was riding up the old rd one day and saw a dude lowside with draggin jeans on. His arse was ripped off his jeans and offered nothing. If you can afford the bike you can afford to run full leathers. The only time i wore kevlar jeans was when commuting and even that is pushing it i spose. As fun as it is riding in boardies and tshirt its not worth it.

The Eagle said:
Anyone had a go of a CBR 250? Any good for a 90kg rider?

The older ones? theyre the quickest of the 250s on the market although alot are dodgy. The riding position is a supersport type style so if youre not into that then get a cb 250 or a Honda spada(sp)

The Eagle said:
Nah the new one,2013

I don't have a real style yet lol

I meant style of bike/riding position. Theyre uncomfortable for riding around for hours on a freeway. The new ones look more comfortable though. Higher bars etc much like the 250 ninja.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4