Most memorable Manly game in your lifetime

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I have a few ..
in 1995 we had just beat broncos & our next assignment was the raiders, if we beat them , we would finally get noticed as a premiership contender..& beat them we did hoppa snr got a hat trick, & we were on our way to winning 15straight..

Max Delmege..

Getting rid of Peter Sharpe..

Dessie taking us to our 1st GF in 07 (after the nrthn eagles crap)

Winning it in 08

Winning again in 2011 after Gallop tried to destroy us for 2 seasons

Damn a few of us remember that Canberra game .. nice ;) .. it was after that game every one took notice of Manly........

That roosters game we were down by 20 nil at half time. One of the roosters broke his leg in that game. Up there with some of the best comebacks of all time.
MK Eagle said:
Tough question to answer but for mine there was a game back near 1997 & Roosters were leading us well with Fittler on fire.
The comeback was sensational & the try to put us in the lead, Innes ripped a fend on Matt Sing & raced down the sideline. So many others like the 61-0 over Illawarra where Ian Roberts was on fire & every miracle pass stuck. GF 08 was huge as was that entire finals series. Oh 1 last game was the 1987 Manly - souths clash at Redfern - I was only young but remember it clearly- massive comeback including 1 of the most sensational tries ever from a favourite player Rambo Gibbs from a kick/chase. That'll do for now I'm gettin excited!! ;)

Memorable for another reason was a game we played against raiders at brookie first season back after the beagles disaster. They had a player sent off and still managed to pump us by 50. That wasn't a nice feeling that day as I realized our team was truly sh!thouse and we might never return to the glory days. We've come a long way in 10 years from those dismal days. Never want to have that feeling again.

One positive game I remember was the same year we did the dragqueens 61-0 we also smashed the magpies 60 something to not much. That was a try fest that day. Also clearly remember a game against the shirks in 2008 when they were top of the ladder with us and we absolutely dominated them at endeavor. Just basically bashed them out of the game. I knew then that we were a big show that year.

1991 Bruce Stadium against the Raiders won 46-12. That was when the Raiders were nigh on unbeatable.

2008 40-0 nuff said

2006 21-20 against the Dogs last home game before the finals.

2007 13-12 against Melbourne when Ox kicked the field goal from 40 out.

jjai said:
I have a few ..
in 1995 we had just beat broncos & our next assignment was the raiders, if we beat them , we would finally get noticed as a premiership contender..& beat them we did hoppa snr got a hat trick, & we were on our way to winning 15straight..

Max Delmege..

Getting rid of Peter Sharpe..

Dessie taking us to our 1st GF in 07 (after the nrthn eagles crap)

Winning it in 08

Winning again in 2011 after Gallop tried to destroy us for 2 seasons

Damn a few of us remember that Canberra game .. nice ;) .. it was after that game every one took notice of Manly........

I always remember a Canberra game as being on the same day or weekend that the Port Arthur Massacre happened. Or at the very least around the time of it. I remember the radio commentators talking about it. I'm sure it was the one where Hoppa scored three tries. One from a bomb he caught on his own line and ran the length of the field.

A useful resource to help the old memory, for those that do not know this site exists.

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/teams/manly/manly_by.html

Find the relevant year, then click on the round number to see teams and scoring details

MK Eagle said:
Tough question to answer but for mine there was a game back near 1997 & Roosters were leading us well with Fittler on fire.
The comeback was sensational & the try to put us in the lead, Innes ripped a fend on Matt Sing & raced down the sideline.

Thats my number 1 - it was at Brookie and they were up 18 or 24 nil at half time if I remember. Cracking comeback

voicefromthehill said:
MK Eagle said:
The comeback was sensational & the try to put us in the lead, Innes ripped a fend on Matt Sing & raced down the sideline.

Thats my number 1 - it was at Brookie and they were up 18 or 24 nil at half time if I remember. Cracking comeback

Darren Junee snapped his leg in that game. You could hear the snap on TV.

bob dylan said:
Seen John Harvey sent off at Brookie while playing for the Roosters for a high shot on a Manly player from the kickoff. About 1981.

Also stood at the cage in and seen Ian Thomson taking the field with a jersey covered in blood for Wests match (I think it was Wests), later revealed Randall "smacked" him for extra motivation. This was around 1980.

Seen Manly get beaten in a brutal match at Lidcombe Oval, it was Tom Raudonikis' 200th game for the Magpies in 1979.

I was at that game at Lidcombe, you would remember me I had a banner saying "" Tommy is an old fart"

Smacking saints in the semi 38-0 i think at brookie was good in 08. I was on the hill with 5 saints supporters. Being from kogarah myself and yelling **** off back to kogarah at the saints supporters leaving at the 70th minute was a pleasure.

Daniel said:
Although it was Northern Eagles, the first Golden Point game stands out in my mind.

I was sitting near the fence with my Dad, and when it went to golden point, the whole crowd (all 5000 or so hahaha) all closed in on the fence and were standing in the walkways etc, the atmosphere was absolutely amazing.

As for games on TV that have stood out, it's so hard to name just one, and more recent ones take over.

I know you said aside from Grand Finals, but the 2008 Grand final was one of the best displays of football you will ever see, that game had just about everything a manly fan could want

it was manly 2003 it was amazing being there it was a game we should never of won.
Its the only time ive been in the sheds after a game and it was buzzing

tell you one i remember even though i was 7 year old watching on tv on the gold coast

Manly V Canterbury at Brookie

We got them 36 - 2
and Mr Magic Phil Blake destroyed them 4 trys in the one game.

Thinking back it reminded me as a young how i had a hate on des hasler when we bought him and used him at halfback.

As a 9 year old i was flithy that he had taken my heros spot at halfback.

All love for des now and has been for a long time.

cannot remember the year but manly played st george at the sports ground george hunter was coach fulton played 5/8 stanton half back manly down 20-3 ,trys were 3 pointers back then. george told the team to follow bozo where he went there was back up and they set the place afire and won 22-20 this was agood win back then as langlands and smith were running saints so it was no mean feat. The other was our first grand final win in 72 when we had a lot of local juniors in the team lead by some older players and the mix worked well we were not sober for weeks after that
MANLY FOREVER GO YOU GOOD THINGS

MadMarcus said:
Daniel said:
Although it was Northern Eagles, the first Golden Point game stands out in my mind.

I was sitting near the fence with my Dad, and when it went to golden point, the whole crowd (all 5000 or so hahaha) all closed in on the fence and were standing in the walkways etc, the atmosphere was absolutely amazing.

As for games on TV that have stood out, it's so hard to name just one, and more recent ones take over.

I know you said aside from Grand Finals, but the 2008 Grand final was one of the best displays of football you will ever see, that game had just about everything a manly fan could want

If I recall correctly that golden point game was against Parra at Brookie. I thought we were back to being Manly by then but if the team was still called the Northern Eagles I'm pretty sure it was after the JV had died and the "Manly is Back" t-shirts had been circulated. I didn't watch any Northern Eagles matches until the JV had died but I was definitely at that first ever golden point game.

That would be up there with the memorable non-GF matches for me too. The other ones would be when Blocker Roach patted Eddie Ward on the head at Brookie, 61-0 against the Dragons (I remember going in thinking it would be a tight match!), Manly beating Melbourne 13-12 in 2007 off the back of an Orford field goal and the first post Super League match in 1998 between Manly and Brisbane when Harrigan sent Toovey and Hoppa off.
i remember on the monday after the game i tore the back page from the paper & mailed it to a mate who is a parra fanatic with nothing else in the envelope. i found out later that he went ballistic when he opened it:D

Napper said:
Smacking saints in the semi 38-0 i think at brookie was good in 08. I was on the hill with 5 saints supporters. Being from kogarah myself and yelling f**k off back to kogarah at the saints supporters leaving at the 70th minute was a pleasure.

that is the one for me, beaver playing his last game at brookie & scoring a try with a charge-down, not to mention the crawling along the ground after the ball to score.

Manly (albeit having to play under the NE name) Vs Easts 2002

Beavers 200th game, first game at brookvale after the abortion that was the Joint venture. They had been smashed by Newcastle and Souths in the first 2 rounds.

They were in Maroon white and blue jerseys they had the northern eagles eagle on the chest with just the word EAGLES under the logo but there was no doubt who they were when the boys ran on and the Manly chant went up on the hill and was loud and proud for most of the game.

The boys got up in a massive upset in a game where Jason King first made a name for himself and Luke Dorn debuted.

There werent many good times between 1997 and 2004 but that was one of them.

I wonder why (is it a rights thing) the NRL does not do more to make "classic" games accessible online?

Manly vs. Penrith - Brooky Oval. I almost dead set teared up in the 1st half, and left in front of everyone as we were getting massacred (copped plenty on the way out, too).

One of Manly's biggest and best come-backs that day.

I almost teared up a second time when I got home, and saw the result !

Lesson - well and truly learnt.

Ditto to most of the games mentioned here especially 61-0 and 64-12 over Parra but I'll add 2 memorable games even though we lost. 1976 vs Roosters at the SCG match of the day we came storming home and Ray Brannigan was denied a try in the corner on full time that would have given us the win. We were in the Sheridan Stand with the Manly supporters army and it was an awesome day we were going nuts during the comeback. The other was the 1991 I think semi final vs Raiders when we had so many injuries and yet we nearly beat them that was a day of courage for the Mighty Sea Eagles.

Havent been to a lot live obviously, but the 2008 win at Parra stands out for me

Beaver off injured early, Williamson knocked out cold, Bani stretchered off. The team was busted, and although we got out to a lead early, they got ahead of us and I thought it was game over, then not long after that L'Estrange went over and we held on for a gutsy win. Bryant limping back from a kick return the standout memory probably

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6