Most memorable Manly game in your lifetime

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Aside from Grand Finals, what was your most memorable game Manly played?

Mine was when Manly played Parramatta at Cumberland Oval in 1981. It was Parras last ever game at Cumberland and they wanted to go out a winner but Manly wasn't going to have that. It finished up a 20 all draw. The atmosphere was electric, Manly great Wombat Eadie, John " Joe Coöl" Dorathy lit the place alight, John Gibbs with his trade mark socks down and head back cutting the Parra defence to pieces. The vision of Alan Thompson sitting in the dressing room after the game having a cigarette sticks in my mind. Great players like Randall, Boyd, Krilich and ex Parra man Geoff Gerard.

Oh and there was Parra as well. They went on to win the premiership, that year, after they won Parra fans went back to Cumberland Oval and torched the grandstand in celebration and it burnt to the ground.

This was a time of the greatest rivalry between Manly and Parra to the point where Tooheys made TV advertisement about it, in saying that the rivalry around the same time with the Fibros was just as good but that needs a thread of its own.

Manly 61 St George 0 from 1994 @ Brookie

Also the two years in a row (05 and 06) Vs Penrith at Brookie where Manly were behind by around 20 points in the second half and came back to win, on the back of BK, both times.

The thrashing of the Balmain Tigers in the top of the table clash at Brookie in 1987.

A hard thing.
Tooves 1st grade bedut in a mid game at Brooky vs the touring great britian side. we beat them by more then the test team did. from memory it was the same team for them both games.
could tell then tooves was special.

but maybe the 1982 KB Cup semi vs Parra. We won 24 to 10 and Mike Eden played halfback and it was one of the best games by a half I have ever seen. Such a shame he did not stay at Manly forever.

61-0 v's saints. I'll never forget Ridgey banging one conversion after another. It was a great day at Brookie.

Although it was Northern Eagles, the first Golden Point game stands out in my mind.

I was sitting near the fence with my Dad, and when it went to golden point, the whole crowd (all 5000 or so hahaha) all closed in on the fence and were standing in the walkways etc, the atmosphere was absolutely amazing.

As for games on TV that have stood out, it's so hard to name just one, and more recent ones take over.

I know you said aside from Grand Finals, but the 2008 Grand final was one of the best displays of football you will ever see, that game had just about everything a manly fan could want

61-0 at Brookie was special, especially beating the Dragons. I also have clear memories of the 87 game at Parra Stadium. We blew them off the park eventually with Shearer and Williams cutting them to pieces. I went out and bought Grand Final tickets that week and we know what happened that year!!!!

61-0 for me

I was there with my two saints supporters (my brother and another mate of his) after the game my brothers car broke down almost outside brookie....i sat in the front in my manly jersey while two saints fans pushed the car...god they copped some crap

As an aside does anyone have the footage of that game?

lsz said:
61-0 for me

I was there with my two saints supporters (my brother and another mate of his) after the game my brothers car broke down almost outside brookie....i sat in the front in my manly jersey while two saints fans pushed the car...god they copped some crap

As an aside does anyone have the footage of that game?

I do somewhere. I remember buying a vcd of the game off ebay for $2

Daniel said:
Although it was Northern Eagles, the first Golden Point game stands out in my mind.

I was sitting near the fence with my Dad, and when it went to golden point, the whole crowd (all 5000 or so hahaha) all closed in on the fence and were standing in the walkways etc, the atmosphere was absolutely amazing.

As for games on TV that have stood out, it's so hard to name just one, and more recent ones take over.

I know you said aside from Grand Finals, but the 2008 Grand final was one of the best displays of football you will ever see, that game had just about everything a manly fan could want

If I recall correctly that golden point game was against Parra at Brookie. I thought we were back to being Manly by then but if the team was still called the Northern Eagles I'm pretty sure it was after the JV had died and the "Manly is Back" t-shirts had been circulated. I didn't watch any Northern Eagles matches until the JV had died but I was definitely at that first ever golden point game.

That would be up there with the memorable non-GF matches for me too. The other ones would be when Blocker Roach patted Eddie Ward on the head at Brookie, 61-0 against the Dragons (I remember going in thinking it would be a tight match!), Manly beating Melbourne 13-12 in 2007 off the back of an Orford field goal and the first post Super League match in 1998 between Manly and Brisbane when Harrigan sent Toovey and Hoppa off.

I seen Manly beat Parramatta at Parra Stadium 64-12 on 20 March 1988.

Cliffy and Dale Shearer both scored trebles.

Dont worry about it just being an away win, the Eels team that day consisted of Sterling, Grothe, Ella, Wynn, Lindner etc.

I remember grownup Parra supporters crying (I am not making this up) at half time. One particular knob wanted to back Parra to win the second half and was yelling at us Manly supporters in the grandstand to put our money where our mouths were, all the while tears were streaming down his face.

This game still brings a smile to my face.

40-0 of course has probably been the best for me personally.. only because I'm younger so that's the best in my memory

other games I've enjoyed since I became a die-hard fan from like 07 onwards:
- rd 5 vs. Wests @ brookie in 09 - when Brett returned from suspension with the hat-trick.
- rd 24 vs. Storm @ the graveyard in 09 - Farrar's match saving tackle on Slater.
- rd 9 vs. Dragons @ brookie in 10 - 8 players backing up from rep games
- rd 2 vs. Roosters @ sfs in 11 - 3 senior players out.. written off but we won
- rd 25 vs. Storm @ brookie in 11 - obvious.

Vs the raiders in 08 with the bull**** send off

Vs parra in 08 with a busted team

Vs the Shark this year winning on the hooter

Vs tigers 06 where Brett scored on the hooter to snatch the game

Surely a few others

MadMarcus said:
Daniel said:

If I recall correctly that golden point game was against Parra at Brookie. I thought we were back to being Manly by then but if the team was still called the Northern Eagles I'm pretty sure it was after the JV had died and the "Manly is Back" t-shirts had been circulated. I didn't watch any Northern Eagles matches until the JV had died but I was definitely at that first ever golden point game.

That would be up there with the memorable non-GF matches for me too. The other ones would be when Blocker Roach patted Eddie Ward on the head at Brookie, 61-0 against the Dragons (I remember going in thinking it would be a tight match!), Manly beating Melbourne 13-12 in 2007 off the back of an Orford field goal and the first post Super League match in 1998 between Manly and Brisbane when Harrigan sent Toovey and Hoppa off.

Yeah it was against parra, Ben Walker slotted a 2 point penalty from memory. It may have been the first few months after the JV so could well have been Manly. It was before Silvertails was even a thought though

Seen John Harvey sent off at Brookie while playing for the Roosters for a high shot on a Manly player from the kickoff. About 1981.

Also stood at the cage in and seen Ian Thomson taking the field with a jersey covered in blood for Wests match (I think it was Wests), later revealed Randall "smacked" him for extra motivation. This was around 1980.

Seen Manly get beaten in a brutal match at Lidcombe Oval, it was Tom Raudonikis' 200th game for the Magpies in 1979.

Without doubt for me it was the 1995 clash with the Canberra Raiders at Bruce Stadium. Both teams were unbeaten after 13 rounds & the Super League war was fever pitch. I travelled down for the game & the place was jammed packed. From memory both Cliffy & Tooves were sinbinned late in the game & Canberra seemed sure to win. However Cliffy took an intercept from a Ricky Stuart pass & somehow got a miracle pass to Hoppa to secure the win in the dying minutes.

Round 10, 1995 - Manly vs Canberra. Both sides came into the game undefeated and we won 16-8 and Hoppa scored a hat trick. We were also down to 11 men at the end when 2 were put in the sin bin. I was a young bloke listening to the game in the car with my dad.

Eagle Eyed Cherry said:
Without doubt for me it was the 1995 clash with the Canberra Raiders at Bruce Stadium. Both teams were unbeaten after 13 rounds & the Super League war was fever pitch. I travelled down for the game & the place was jammed packed. From memory both Cliffy & Tooves were sinbinned late in the game & Canberra seemed sure to win. However Cliffy took an intercept from a Ricky Stuart pass & somehow got a miracle pass to Hoppa to secure the win in the dying minutes.

Got in before me, I didn't see your post. Was a great game!

I have to agree with the round 3 64-12 win over the slime on the 20th March 1988, the try we scored right before half time and slime supporters walking out.

I was actually at slime stadium with a couple of mates and that afternoon we spent a couple of hours after the game driving around the streets of Parramatta waving a big chequered Maroon and White Flag out of the car.

Tough question to answer but for mine there was a game back near 1997 & Roosters were leading us well with Fittler on fire.
The comeback was sensational & the try to put us in the lead, Innes ripped a fend on Matt Sing & raced down the sideline. So many others like the 61-0 over Illawarra where Ian Roberts was on fire & every miracle pass stuck. GF 08 was huge as was that entire finals series. Oh 1 last game was the 1987 Manly - souths clash at Redfern - I was only young but remember it clearly- massive comeback including 1 of the most sensational tries ever from a favourite player Rambo Gibbs from a kick/chase. That'll do for now I'm gettin excited!! ;)

Living in country NSW (as I did for most of my life) I didn't actually get to the the Sea Eagles play live until 1973. I had just turned 18 and my brother (who lives in Penrith still to this day) took me along to Penrith Park.

I forget the exact score (and who was playing) but it was huge 73-0 or something like that....I forget because I was 18 and could legally get a beer, and my big brother got me well and truly pissed so much of it was a blur....however I'll never forget the buzz about being there to see them for the first time.

And number 2.

My first visit to Brookvale Oval, 1982 or 1983 or 84 (can't remember exactly) but whatever year it was it was the largest crowd ever at Brookvale. The game was V Parramatta and back in the days of Sterlo / Kenny / Price / Fatty / Crusher...we actually lost the game BUT what a buzz it was for a boy from the bush to be standing on the hill for the very first time.

Sorry this will be different to many in terms of the "best comeback, "biggest score", "best atmosphere" but for me both games are very special......as was my first Grand Final in 1978.

Sadly I missed 72/73 (still at school and living 650 Kms form Sydney) but am very proud to say I have never missed a grand Final since then!!

MK Eagle said:
Tough question to answer but for mine there was a game back near 1997 & Roosters were leading us well with Fittler on fire.
The comeback was sensational & the try to put us in the lead, Innes ripped a fend on Matt Sing & raced down the sideline. So many others like the 61-0 over Illawarra where Ian Roberts was on fire & every miracle pass stuck. GF 08 was huge as was that entire finals series. Oh 1 last game was the 1987 Manly - souths clash at Redfern - I was only young but remember it clearly- massive comeback including 1 of the most sensational tries ever from a favourite player Rambo Gibbs from a kick/chase. That'll do for now I'm gettin excited!! ;)

Loved that game. I remember watching it at a roosters supporter place with a few Manly mates and he was going nuts. From memory they were up 18-2 but we stormed back with the Innes try the sealer. He got so cranky he kicked us out but we didn't mind. Good times.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6