Mortimer calls for Jamie Lyon to return to Origin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Steve Mortimer calls for Jamie Lyon to return to Origin fray
December 30, 2013 - 9:02PM
Daniel Lane

Former NSW skipper Steve Mortimer, recently recruited to help mentor the next generation of Blues, has offered some sage New Year's Eve advice to coach Laurie Daley - beg Jamie Lyon to return to the brotherhood.

Lyon, who captained Manly in the grand final and was named the Dally M centre of the year, played his last game of representative football in 2010. He was, however, identified by Mortimer - the man who captained NSW to their first State of Origin series victory in 1985 - as the type of player needed to help end the stranglehold Queensland had held on the interstate series since 2006.

"Jamie Lyon is the first player I would pick for NSW," Mortimer told Fairfax Media. "I think Laurie Daley and the NSWRL ought to meet with him face-to-face and ask that he be ready to play for the Blues again."

Lyon knocked back a similar overture made to him over the phone last year by Daley's predecessor Ricky Stuart and it is understood he rejected a similar offer to make himself available for the Kangaroos before last month's triumphant World Cup campaign in England. In a frank admission Lyon told Stuart he was reluctant to play representative football again because he was still scarred by the savage criticism levelled at him from different quarters in 2007 when he returned to the NRL from his stint with English Super League team St Helens and his selection in numerous teams was questioned.:huh:

Mortimer - who was recently called upon by Daley to help instil his renowned passion for the jersey into the Emerging Blues squad - insisted the 31-year-old was well worth Daley's time and energies.

"He's a great player and it's up to Laurie and the selectors to meet with him, the sooner the better," said Mortimer. "He's also a true leader and that would help [current NSW captain] Paul Gallen.

"[Lyon] is a class act and a genuine playmaker from the centre three-quarters . . . he's also been there and done that so his experience would be another great asset for NSW."

After watching Queensland win the last eight Origin series Mortimer said it was crucial that every avenue, including persuading Lyon to play again, was explored to secure any possible advantage.

"I think every NSW [eligible] player should be available for selection,:mad:" he said. "We need to stop Queensland, and there's no doubt in my mind that Jamie Lyon could help his state achieve that aim."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/steve-mortimer-calls-for-jamie-lyon-to-return-to-origin-fray-20131230-302ng.html#ixzz2ozN15PQR

Leave Killer alone :exclamation::exclamation:

How many times does he have to answer this - he has had his time and is not driven by anything more than Club Footy.

Stick to making the Dogs available for 2014 :idea:
Bulldogs players have embarked on a host of ''man dates'' this pre-season with two players expected to organise an outing for the playing squad each fortnight.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/man-dates-boost-bulldogs-team-spirit-20131228-300i5.html#ixzz2ozOIUzbe

Typical bulldogs trying to get Josh Morris out of rep games. If Mortimer was serious about improving the NSW side, he would be calling for Pearce to be cut from the team.

It's probably apples compared to oranges but when Shane Webcke retired from rep footy he was asked about the thin qld forwards stocks left and simply said that even if Qld lose a few years it's important they blood new players, and he wants to concentrate of repaying the broncos. The media by and large left it at that.

Jamie has retired from rep footy. It's not his fault nsw have lost 8 in a row though we'll all chant that we would've won more if he was in 'cause we're all Manly fans.

He's on a hiding to nothing even if he did return....imagine if nsw still lost!?!?

So he's made his call, it'd be nice if the media respected his decision as he's not going to change his mind because they print drivel about it every time some ex player wants him to play.

There's a subtle inference he's a bad guy for saying no to rep footy which I don't appreciate.

There's probably more reasons to nsw form than one centre (we all say pearce here) and a couple of series were only a point, bounce of the ball, dud reffing away from a nsw win.

In conclusion, Jamie is Manly's, go away!

HappilyManly said:
Bulldogs players have embarked on a host of ''man dates'' this pre-season with two players expected to organise an outing for the playing squad each fortnight.

I had no idea that many Bulldogs players were gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). Des would surely have preferred them all to come out at the start of the year rather than 1 every 2 weeks. It could prove to be a distraction as the season progresses.

I don't mind people wanting Jamie to play Origin, because he would be the first player picked if he wanted to play, and it shows that's he is at the absolute pinnacle of his game.....HOWEVER......if he doesn't want to play he doesn't have to, and above all he doesn't have to explain his decision to not play.

And I'm with you GlobalEagle, imagine he plays and they lose? He would be the biggest whipping boy in Origin history.

I doubt Jamie's body would stand up to the rigours of an Origin campaign and a season long of NRL also.

MadMarcus said:
HappilyManly said:

I had no idea that many Bulldogs players were gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). Des would surely have preferred them all to come out at the start of the year rather than 1 every 2 weeks. It could prove to be a distraction as the season progresses.

I don't understand why they would need these bonding sessions, didn't they bleat on all season that they were a tight bunch of mates, that there was no disharmony blah blah blah. Just more bs from a bunch of dogs

He's just trying to shorten Killer's NRL career to advantage his beloved Scumdogs.

So to Turvey I say, sod off.

as a QLD supporter, i'm glad killer doesn't play state of origin.
but yes if eligible, he'd be the first picked each year.

If I recall back in about 09/10 when Killer was playing he put his hand up for the captaincy, not sure if that was when they went with Gidley? (who couldn't guarantee himself a starting spot).

Didn't Lyon return to the Blues a couple of years ago, then when they lost, he copped a huge belting in the media. He was made to wear the brunt of the criticism by the media and fans from other teams.

I don't blame him at all for not wanting to play. I wouldn't go near another Blue jersey if I were Jamie.

The great thing about Killer is, even all the die hard Qld league fans will tell you he is the best centre in the game, bar none. And he seems a decent bloke too. Now....we all know that and take it for granted, but to hear it from Qld fans is high praise indeed!

Stick to your guns Jamie. You always have in the past and it has worked out well.

mozgrame said:
Didn't Lyon return to the Blues a couple of years ago, then when they lost, he copped a huge belting in the media. He was made to wear the brunt of the criticism by the media and fans from other teams.

Yes I remember that too.

The sad part is that if NSW had won a series or two in the past eight years (or even just one in the past two), Killer would probably be free to live out his representative retirement in peace in the Manly centres.

Its only because NSW are continually losing that the press and any ex-player with an opinion keeps bringing it up.

I wonder, now that Fittler is going to play in the 9's, will the press be all over him to suit up for the Blues? Lord knows they need at least one decent half, even if it is someone who hasn't played competitively since 2004.

I remember all the criticism he copped when he got picked in the Test side before he returned to the NRL. I hope he keeps telling the media and ex players who should shut their mouths to shove it, he doesn't owe them any favours.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6