More pain for Matai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
More pain for Matai

* sport
          o Rugby League

22 Jun 10 @ 04:15pm by JASON AVEDISSIAN
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/more-pain-for-matai/

WHEN Steve Matai slowly lifted himself off the soft Brookvale Oval turf on Saturday night with yet another shoulder injury, few expected he would get through the remainder of the match.

Having just finished off a wonderful try off the back of some classy work from replacement prop George Rose, the New Zealander was down for the count after aggravating his left shoulder.

Like a busted crab, Matai manfully played on, defying the injury to help his mates to a courageous one-point victory.

Scans on Tuesday confirmed Matai has a small tear in his shoulder which could keep him out of Friday’s clash against the Panthers at CUA Stadium.

Somehow, Matai was night named to play, but will face a fitness test on Thursday.

It’s a testament to a footballer who continually overcomes the pain barrier on a weekly basis.

“To play with him is pretty inspirational,” fullback Ben Farrar said on Tuesday.

“I played against him for a couple of years, and you always knew you were in for a tough game. Stevie is one of those blokes who cops his fair share of knocks and you wonder sometimes about how he’s going to get up.

“He’s very, very tough and I love playing with him. I think all the boys are the same.”

Manly coach Des Hasler was hopeful Matai will take on the Panthers.

“I think more than likely he’ll play,” the coach said.

“He’s just hard, a real competitor, very tough.”

Farrar said there’s more to Matai’s game than sheer brutality.

“He’s known as a fearless defender and for putting the fear of God into people, but his attack is up there,” the in-form fullback said.

“He’s outstanding with the ball in hand and he’s pretty skilful.”

Youngster Dean Whare will start for injured centre Jamie Lyon who is out for up to four weeks with an ankle complaint.

If he's not 100% he shouldn't play.  He was tought and gutsy but he also couldn't tackle and it cost us 2 tries.  Thankfully Jennings is on the other side, but he might drift over to the right if Matai is busted.

Bailey has been beaten for pace a number of times this season as he has been sliding. I fear for Friday against the fleet-footed panthers if he ends up in a similar position. I do hope that Matai is fit to play.

clontaago link said:
I actually thought Bailey was more to blame in at least 1 of those tries.
  Bailey enjoys Joey Johns status around here.  He can murder 5 year olds and people will spring to his defence.  I've given up pointing out his many shortcomings. 

clontaago link said:
I actually thought Bailey was more to blame in at least 1 of those tries.
..well thats his average.. 1.6689  tries let in by him per game so far lol..

that average i just made up of the top of me head.. but it would be pretty close if not higher lol

Matabele link said:
If he's not 100% he shouldn't play.  He was tought and gutsy but he also couldn't tackle and it cost us 2 tries.  Thankfully Jennings is on the other side, but he might drift over to the right if Matai is busted.

Matai's shoulder is fine.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4