More ownership news

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
*Disclaimer* This is from the Bec and Buzz Column, so perhaps it could be treated with a grain of salt.

THE Penn family is on the verge of a complete takeover of the Sea Eagles by shelling out $15million to buy Manly Leagues Club.

The Sea Eagles' part-owner Scott Penn signed a heads of agreement for the purchase yesterday and is now waiting for approval from leagues club members before taking ownership.  We understand he would be the first person to privately own a leagues club in the NRL.

We're told Penn's next step will be to offer Sea Eagles co-owner Max Delmege $5million to buy out his share of the football club. "We're buying the leagues club to redevelop it and ensure it remains a viable business in the future,'' Penn told us.

"A successful leagues club is critical for the future of the football club and our long-term plans to keep Manly at Brookvale Oval. This will surely put to bed any suggestions that we ever wanted to move away from Brookvale Oval.''

As for buying out Delmege's share of the football club, Penn said: "It's still early days. We're trying to resolve our differences. "We've been quite clear that we support the current management team of Des Hasler, Grant Mayer and Peter Peters. They're a proven winning team, but the board hasn't shown that same support. At the end of the day, the only way to solve it is maybe for one of us to buy the other out.''

Penn telephoned Delmege last Thursday night to float the proposal but the Sea Eagles co-owner refused. The next showdown in the battle for control of the Sea Eagles will come at Wednesday night's board meeting.

The Delmege faction, who have the numbers in the boardroom, 5-2, plan to call for media manager Peters to be made redundant and Penn to be dumped as chairman. "My answer to the Penns wanting to buy me out is, well, I'll buy them out. It's not a monetary thing, it's what I think the supporters deserve,'' Delmege said. Where were the Penns in 2002 when Manly needed them?''

This whole saga has to be resolved asap I don't care who owns club but it has to be just one owner.I must say I wouldn't mind seeing FATSO out of a job

Hey guys,

I live in Melbourne so I have virtually no idea about what is happening behind the scenes regarding the ownership of our club. I have read reports that Dessie will not be around in two years?? can anyone shed some light..

Is there anyone else who lives down here?

Cheers
Hutto

It's going to be a "fun" night on Wednesday.  According to the Herald Max rarely attends though I bet he'll be there this week.

reyam link said:
This whole saga has to be resolved asap I don't care who owns club but it has to be just one owner.I must say I wouldn't mind seeing FATSO out of a job

I'm not comfortable with the one owner model, even with the controlling share of the football club it still makes it too easy for the majority shareholder to bring pressure to bear regarding the future of the club. Money talks as we all know. Two or more equal shareholders is a better scenario as long as they are getting on and working for the best interests of the club.

Matabele link said:
It's going to be a \"fun\" night on Wednesday.  According to the Herald Max rarely attends though I bet he'll be there this week.

Replace 'rarely' with 'never'. And yes, he will be there on Wednesday.

reyam link said:
you obviously arent aware of how much the bloke actually does

its really easy to put **** on someone with out knowing the facts.

Zorba hasnt been around the club for over 20 years for no reason.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=179652.msg212729#msg212729 date=1237078280]
*Disclaimer*
\"My answer to the Penns wanting to buy me out is, well, I'll buy them out.

If I were them I'd call his bluff. 
[/quote]
I doubt very much max is in a positon to do that.

The Penn family portfolio reads quite nicely
The Biggest Loser Club
The Click Diet
and surfing company Ahloa

Cliffy Gc link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=179652.msg212767#msg212767 date=1237085648]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=179652.msg212729#msg212729 date=1237078280]
*Disclaimer*
\"My answer to the Penns wanting to buy me out is, well, I'll buy them out.

If I were them I'd call his bluff. 
[/quote]
I doubt very much max is in a positon to do that.

[/quote]

Exactly.  Otherwise why would Scott Penn have made such a big issue of Delmege not contributing to his equity share?  Hence they should call his bluff. 

Although I'm not as sanguine about Biggest Loser Club as I once was.  Have you seen www.livestrong.com

Same idea, free and with significant celebrity power behind it.

I thought Max's comments as quoted by Danny Weidler in the Herald today were further evidence that he has lost the plot. He is basically claiming that there is a campaign to undermine him and has publically targetted Zorba.  (If quoted correctly - you never know with Weidler - his English hardly makes sense either).

After the week we have just had, the last thing we want is escalation of the owner's stoush. Zorba is quoted too - surely these people can talk behind closed doors. I would have thought solidarity at board level is just what is publically needed right now. What Jack Gibson has said about the front office and support staff being good has been shown to be true over the years.

Matabele link said:
Although I'm not as sanguine about Biggest Loser Club as I once was.  Have you seen www.livestrong.com  Same idea, free and with significant celebrity power behind it.
ITYS!!! :)
I was actually a bit harsh about this business model, mostly because if it is geared to a large extent on just weight loss then it is ok. If you want to include a complete lifestyle turnaround including fitness involving regular exercise (which is what I jumped to) then I don't believe it would be a success.

On the other issues I would not be keen on just one major owner, but  if it has to be that way to sort out this crap then it just has to go ahead. I can't say I lean to either party as they have both been embarrassing in their public handling of matters. If anything the Penns are starting to look more rational in all of this, but that doesn't mean I have dropped support for Max.

I have no special feelings for or against Zorba except that he has obviously given a huge amount to the club over the years. His deflection of the issues at Manly Wharf saying that criticism of the owner and staff are completely unwarranted misses the point (Peter,  no one has criticised them!). What they have an issue with is the choice of venue and the availability of Manly staff after the function finished at 3.15pm. The rest is just noise.

Hutto link said:
Hey guys,

I live in Melbourne so I have virtually no idea about what is happening behind the scenes regarding the ownership of our club. I have read reports that Dessie will not be around in two years?? can anyone shed some light..

Is there anyone else who lives down here?

Cheers
Hutto

gday mate.

Clontaago and myself are melbrourne residents. 

I think Penn has shown a lot of professionalism over the past couple of months.  The same can't be said for Delmege.  I think he's handled the media attention very poorly and has just made things worse.  Some of the things Delmege has said about Penn have been very low and untrue.

Give me a break. The whole issue blew up because Penn brought what should have been a private matter about owed monies into the limelight at a sponsorship announcement. He didn't cover himself with glory by that move. But he is sounding more rational at the moment.

Canteen Worker link said:
I thought Max's comments as quoted by Danny Weidler in the Herald today were further evidence that he has lost the plot.
  What does the bee-stung Ranga have to say?  It's not online and I couldn't be bothered driving the 10k to get a paper.

ManlyBacker link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=179652.msg212771#msg212771 date=1237085993]
Although I'm not as sanguine about Biggest Loser Club as I once was.  Have you seen www.livestrong.com  Same idea, free and with significant celebrity power behind it.
ITYS!!! :)
I was actually a bit harsh about this business model, mostly because if it is geared to a large extent on just weight loss then it is ok. If you want to include a complete lifestyle turnaround including fitness involving regular exercise (which is what I jumped to) then I don't believe it would be a success.
[/quote]

BLC issues a weekly exercise program and goals etc and has forums and so on.  It is quite holistic.  Don't get me wrong I lost 20kg whilst a member and engineered a lifestyle turnaround and have put several others onto the program.  But perhaps the biggest downside is that if it does its job it can't help but lose members.

And many other sites are popping around the place that do the same for a lot less.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=179652.msg212777#msg212777 date=1237087155]
I thought Max's comments as quoted by Danny Weidler in the Herald today were further evidence that he has lost the plot.
  What does the bee-stung Ranga have to say?  It's not online and I couldn't be bothered driving the 10k to get a paper.
[/quote]I typed it up and submitted it as an article but only Dan and Zep can activate it so you will have to wait till then. It was along the lines of Max blaming Zorba for the Wharf Hotel Fiasco, saying his shout to the house at the event was only one round and cost $180 and that he wasn't drunk at the long board meeting last week. He also implied that the Penns etc were conducting a smear campaign against him, trying to remove him from the club.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2