More on Matai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Kiwi Eagle link said:
Just been reading the paper and another matai article in there, not online yet though

In this one, his scummy manager has started talking the Sharks up as a possible destination as well

I won't type the whole thing out, but here are some quotes from his manager

*Warriors and Manly have both tabled 2 year deals, along with Cronulla

*\"The Sharks see him as an enforcer and intimidating player. There are not too many enforcers in Rugby League but he is certainly one of them\"

*Steve hasn't been to Auckland yet \"He just basically needs to find the time to get over there. He's got to work the trip in between his training commitments\"

* Orr dismissed suggestions he was only courting the Warriors to boost Matai's price at Manly \"I think he is a chance of signing with the Warriors. I know the CEO Wayne Scurrah and coach Ivan Cleary really well and if he wasn't interested in going home to New Zealand I wouldnn't be wasting their time. It's just a case, I think, of whether he wants to leave the club that he's had success with and that has given him his opportunity or head home. He is waiting to see what Manly are doing and where they are going. If they don't come up with a decent deal then, obviously, he'll look elsewhere\"

From Wayne Scurrah \"The whole Matai situation is pretty much where it was 2 weeks ago. We've expressed an interest, I think Manly have made him a final offer and now he is going to sit back and consider whether he wants to come across and have a chat. We haven't gone cold on it but we are keen to know where we are\"

The agent is acting in Matai's interests as he is paid to do. If Players didn't have agents they would be screwed over big time.

Rambo1987 link said:
Sharks cant get anybody there - even Barrett now tipped to go to the Eels.

They will pay him world to go there but his career will go nowhere
I was at the game on Sat night & the crowd was about 8 1/2 thousand. That was in near perfect weather conditions playing a team that hadn't been going great & were a chance of beating.

I'd reckon maybe 1500 manly fans throughout the ground. so say 7000 sharks supporters. With junior players with passes etc there were probably less than 6000 sharkies paying for tickets.

No wonder they can't get any players - no way can they afford them.

I too was at that game and I reckon on about five or six thousand at the most.  Poor atmosphere, with the exception of where we were.  They'll struggle on for a few years, then to the NSW Cup.  License transferred to Perth is my guess. 

ERNIE FOR NO7 link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=184143.msg276314#msg276314 date=1279410792]
Just been reading the paper and another matai article in there, not online yet though

In this one, his scummy manager has started talking the Sharks up as a possible destination as well

I won't type the whole thing out, but here are some quotes from his manager

*Warriors and Manly have both tabled 2 year deals, along with Cronulla

*\"The Sharks see him as an enforcer and intimidating player. There are not too many enforcers in Rugby League but he is certainly one of them\"

*Steve hasn't been to Auckland yet \"He just basically needs to find the time to get over there. He's got to work the trip in between his training commitments\"

* Orr dismissed suggestions he was only courting the Warriors to boost Matai's price at Manly \"I think he is a chance of signing with the Warriors. I know the CEO Wayne Scurrah and coach Ivan Cleary really well and if he wasn't interested in going home to New Zealand I wouldnn't be wasting their time. It's just a case, I think, of whether he wants to leave the club that he's had success with and that has given him his opportunity or head home. He is waiting to see what Manly are doing and where they are going. If they don't come up with a decent deal then, obviously, he'll look elsewhere\"

From Wayne Scurrah \"The whole Matai situation is pretty much where it was 2 weeks ago. We've expressed an interest, I think Manly have made him a final offer and now he is going to sit back and consider whether he wants to come across and have a chat. We haven't gone cold on it but we are keen to know where we are\"

The agent is acting in Matai's interests as he is paid to do. If Players didn't have agents they would be screwed over big time.
[/quote]

I understand that mate, I just think there are better ways to go about it than the way this guy is operating

I know that Phil Rothfield is no reliable source, but someone asked him on his blog today if there was any news on Matai. He stated "he checked with Manly and they expect to know his future in the next 24 hours"

Latest on Matai from New Zealand Herald:

"Meanwhile, plans for Manly and Kiwis centre Steve Matai to travel to New Zealand and inspect the club's facilities have been cancelled. Club officials are still hoping to meet with Matai but no date has been set."

So it is looking likely that he may stay with Manly. Hopefully he does.

It would be a huge boost to the players, club and supporters if he were to resign now. It could really provide a big kick to the rest of our season I feel.

Would not be signing him with the money he wants, when he is with his history of shoulder and neck injuries.I say his best day's are behind him time to tie up our young players. I think it Say's something about the poor standard of the comp that we rate him so highly. Ten or 15 years ago he would be just another 1st grade player nothing special, so sad this comp has become nothing but a feeder comp for the ESL and rugby and we are left with players that in any other day would not rate a mention. 2 years max with an option in our favor or go home Steve.

Cheers

Rumour is Bailey is off to the Sharks so there's a chance we'll re-sign Matai on the money he frees up.

I agree Reyam. I mean honestly how many more years could you expect out of a 25 year old..... And also its a good idea to sign players based on how good they would have been in the comp 15 years ago not on how they compare to current competition......

More seriously, Matai is good. He gives us that bit on mongrel that every team needs, and I think his defence is dramatically improved over a few years ago.

Downie link said:
Rumour is Bailey is off to the Sharks so there's a chance we'll re-sign Matai on the money he frees up.

You had better not just be getting our hopes up with this rumour

Ant80 link said:
If that's the case with Bailey we should still have money spare for another player to come into the club
If i remember correctly when we signed Bailey as our long term five eighth in 2008, there were quite a few clubs chasing him and he was demanding a fair amount of money. If he was to be released then it would free up a fair bit of room in our cap.

ads link said:
I agree Reyam. I mean honestly how many more years could you expect out of a 25 year old..... And also its a good idea to sign players based on how good they would have been in the comp 15 years ago not on how they compare to current competition......

More seriously, Matai is good. He gives us that bit on mongrel that every team needs, and I think his defence is dramatically improved over a few years ago.
  Maybe you have a different opinion of good,as I said he is just a first grader will lose no sleep if he takes his game elsewhere. Should not fall for Gavin Orr talk about other clubs
Cheers

reyam link said:
Would not be signing him with the money he wants, when he is with his history of shoulder and neck injuries.I say his best day's are behind him time to tie up our young players.
should the same apply to brett stewart with his leg problems?
even with his injuries we have had better value from him over the last 2 years than either snake or wolfman, add to that the aggression & passion he brings to each game and i see a player that i would hate to lose.
and a player i would really hate to see us playing against

castle eagle link said:
[quote author=reyam link=topic=184143.msg276965#msg276965 date=1279687467]
Would not be signing him with the money he wants, when he is with his history of shoulder and neck injuries.I say his best day's are behind him time to tie up our young players.
should the same apply to brett stewart with his leg problems?
even with his injuries we have had better value from him over the last 2 years than either snake or wolfman, add to that the aggression & passion he brings to each game and i see a player that i would hate to lose.
and a player i would really hate to see us playing against
[/quote]
If the club wanted him they would have signed him by now. I said exactly the same about Ox & got panned on the forum.

I am a great fan of Stevie - I know he is injury prone & I'm not sure of what he's asking but he's worth 200 to 250K a season.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2