Money-spinning move as Manly plays 'home' game at Suncorp Stadium in 2011

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If the club moves games from Brookvale they need to factor in the loss of revenue from membership dropping. Unless they can offer a special 'nomad ' membership I can't see the point in signing up again next season. They already have stopped the official Forum, which was a contributing reason to be a member. 

Until Brookvale is up to scratch MWSE will have to continue to move games! Simple as that. BlueTongue stadium is a good alternative, but on the weekend, they weren't expecting a full-house which is why services were poor.

TerryRandall link said:
Personally, I wouldnt mind have just 3 or 4 \"super games\" at Brookie each year, with the rest at money-spinning venues. The brookie games could then be marketed as events (ideally on Sunday afternoon against traditional rivals). Similar to Tigers and Leichhardt. Lets face it, a wet Saturday night game at Brookie against say the Cowboys doesnt have a lot of appeal.

Actually think this will eventually happen.

I'd be thinking
vs Parra
vs Canterbury
vs St George Illawarra
vs Wests Tigers

But
vs Souths and vs Central Coast (if they get in)
would have to be amongst it

The Council really isn't doing much they have no money to do it the $10m ($6m from state and $4m from council) is pretty much all gone to maitenance and renewal work + the new change and media rooms.

Without additional funding nothing will be done, i suppose some good is one of the main options gaining weight is a commercial space facing pittwater road, but the land would need ot be rezoned for it to work.

The Council is currently in community consultation over the future of brookvale oval to wiegh up their options. They have a stakeholder panel and are going ot be doing surveys & focus groups on the issue.

I would urge people to visit the council website: http://yoursaywarringah.com.au/brookvalepark

and voice your concerns there once the new forum topics are setup also to participate in the surveys going out in the mail and on the phone if you're randomly selected.

I just don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Remember, there were only 10,000 at Gosford when we played the Knights earlier in the year.

How can updating the corporate area & returfing the field cost so much that no government can afford it? Surely a few million is all that is needed for this.

Manly fans need to get to games. It's that simple. I don't want to hear any of the BS excuses people come up with for not going to Brookie.
After last Sunday, I'm seriously considering never going to a relocated game again. It an embarrassment that our biggest crowd of the year came in an away venue with a smaller capacity than our own home ground. I don't want to be a part of it & I'm glad I didn't contribute to the farce last weekend.

Duff link said:
I just don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Remember, there were only 10,000 at Gosford when we played the Knights earlier in the year.

How can updating the corporate area & returfing the field cost so much that no government can afford it? Surely a few million is all that is needed for this.

Manly fans need to get to games. It's that simple. I don't want to hear any of the BS excuses people come up with for not going to Brookie.
After last Sunday, I'm seriously considering never going to a relocated game again. It an embarrassment that our biggest crowd of the year came in an away venue with a smaller capacity than our own home ground. I don't want to be a part of it & I'm glad I didn't contribute to the farce last weekend.

I think the thing that people forget is that not every game at Gosford would be a sunday arvo blockbuster.I bet there wouldn't be as many on Fri,Sat or Mon nights.Saturdays interfere with the "big" night out for the week,Fridays would be murder getting there (F3 parking station!!!!),and Mondays just don't seem to get crowds anywhere (unless it's a blockbuster).

Duff...I would agree with that EXCEPT I feel for a game in Brisbane (where there's just massive support for the Eagles) which be great for the Northern NSW and SEQ fans.....and whilst I don't know the other game will be (it's not even 100% that one of them will be Brisbane), if it's New Zealand there's a fair support level over there as well. The outside of Sydney membership (Maroon or Bird of Prey) is now quite large and taking games to the masses where opportunities exist to grow those memberships is helping the club as well.

But I do understand members concerns about taking games away from Brookvale truly I do, I just NEVER want to see a Northern Beagles again and if this helps that situation then so be it.

One aspect that has been overlooked on this topic is that we will have no idea of who we will be playing, when or even which teams we will play home and away until the draw is released around September/October time.

We didn't play Brisbane away this season or Canberra - what's to say we won't play them at home next season (Or even not get Titans or even the Warriors away next season?)

Unless the NRL have already sorted out the 2011 season how can they sign off and approve a fixture that doesn't exist?

The way the NRL/TV does the fixtures is the biggest problem with moving "Home" games to grounds well away from our home.

I can arrange to get to Brookvale/Gosford with 5 weeks notice of what day the game will be on.

But expecting members to travel to Brisbane, NZ, PNG or where ever else is being considered for a  "Home" game when we only get 5 weeks notice of what day the game will be on is just crap.

Agree Brookie BUT if it becomes the double header (as it is suggested it will be) then you kknow it will be a Friday night.

So even if it's August you'll be able to plan for that weekend as soon as the draw comes out.

BUT as Vid says still all conjecture at this point in time

Just as a matter of interest, which cities in New Guinea are we aiming for
Lae, Mount Hagen or the more likely Port Moresby.

Do Virgin fly to any of these on weekends or Monday afternoons?

Brookie4eva link said:
The way the NRL/TV does the fixtures is the biggest problem with moving \"Home\" games to grounds well away from our home.

I can arrange to get to Brookvale/Gosford with 5 weeks notice of what day the game will be on.

But expecting members to travel to Brisbane, NZ, PNG or where ever else is being considered for a  \"Home\" game when we only get 5 weeks notice of what day the game will be on is just crap.

No chance of any advance warning Brookie!The NRL said the draw would be at least 5 weeks in advance.We are playing r 21 next,so where's the days/dates for r 25?Nothing as yet on NRL or Foxsport sites!

ayjay007 link said:
From a post I put on another thread here....

Just an aside to my original post.While Cent Cst Leagues probably loved the game,I wonder how Manly Leagues went for a crowd turning up for post match drinks.What about the caterers at Brookie,the Brookie Maccas,the Brookie Hotel,the bus drivers that didn't get additional shifts,Manly Travelodge,and the other businesses that got nobody at their establishments?It would be interesting to see how much revenue was lost to the Brookie area!Maybe then these figures could be shoved under the recalcitrant councillors noses as proof of what Manly does for the local economy.

Spot on plus the loss of council revenue from less game day rental,and Graham Lowe hasn't costed this and tabled this as a report to the council - then we need a new CEO

vidmar link said:
One aspect that has been overlooked on this topic is that we will have no idea of who we will be playing, when or even which teams we will play home and away until the draw is released around September/October time.

We didn't play Brisbane away this season or Canberra - what's to say we won't play them at home next season (Or even not get Titans or even the Warriors away next season?)

Unless the NRL have already sorted out the 2011 season how can they sign off and approve a fixture that doesn't exist?

Vid, regardless of the ladder, we know what a big game is & what a dud game is crowd wise.
Tigers is a big game, as is any Sydney team really.
If we go up to losers paradise, it's for the money, so give them something we know we're not going to make money on. Easy to pick, even before the season. Tits & Cowbs, maybe ther Riff or the Raiders.

What are they goingto do next year? Throw away the Parra game? Maybe Melbourne or Saints?

You take home games away for cash purposes, that means they should be devoid of emotional connection. Manly v Wests is one of the most emotional games of the year. Even if Wests are a bunch of merger sellouts.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
They would make a motza by bringing a Bronco's game north.....but playing it at Suncorp is giving the Bonko's the home ground advantage, can't see Des being too interested in that...maybe Skilled Park???

Why even take it to QLD, why don't they organise something at the Footy Stadium. Last time i checked it had over 40,000 capacity.

TokyoEagle link said:
[quote author=Mark from Brisbane link=topic=184324.msg278938#msg278938 date=1280180540]
They would make a motza by bringing a Bronco's game north.....but playing it at Suncorp is giving the Bonko's the home ground advantage, can't see Des being too interested in that...maybe Skilled Park???

Why even take it to QLD, why don't they organise something at the Footy Stadium. Last time i checked it had over 40,000 capacity.
[/quote]

How could we get 40,000 to the SFS if we can't sell out Brookie?

For the majority of Manly fans, it's a longer trip to a crappier venue. The crowd would actually drop. Unless we played an inner-city opponant, in which case all we'd do is hand over the home team advantage. As witnessed last Sunday against a hostile crowd.

Duff link said:
[quote author=TokyoEagle link=topic=184324.msg279239#msg279239 date=1280241158]
[quote author=Mark from Brisbane link=topic=184324.msg278938#msg278938 date=1280180540]

[/quote]

How could we get 40,000 to the SFS if we can't sell out Brookie?

For the majority of Manly fans, it's a longer trip to a crappier venue. The crowd would actually drop. Unless we played an inner-city opponant, in which case all we'd do is hand over the home team advantage. As witnessed last Sunday against a hostile crowd.
[/quote]

Sorry, i meant trying to organise a double header out of there with another team.

IMO we would have got a really good crowd to Brookie on Sunday if the game was played there, may not have been 20k but closer to 18k.

Duff link said:
Vid, regardless of the ladder, we know what a big game is & what a dud game is crowd wise.
Tigers is a big game, as is any Sydney team really.
If we go up to losers paradise, it's for the money, so give them something we know we're not going to make money on. Easy to pick, even before the season. Tits & Cowbs, maybe ther Riff or the Raiders.

What are they goingto do next year? Throw away the Parra game? Maybe Melbourne or Saints?

You take home games away for cash purposes, that means they should be devoid of emotional connection. Manly v Wests is one of the most emotional games of the year. Even if Wests are a bunch of merger sellouts.

My point was that at the moment we don't know who we will be playing at home as we don't play each team twice?

How can we plan to take a Cowboys, Titans or Penrith home game to an alternate venue if we don't know if we will have a home tie against them and if we do when?

If it's going to be planned for a double header then the problem is componded as other teams fixtures haven't been released so there is nothing to work with at the moment?

I'm guessing nothing will be finalised until the draws are closer to being finalised?

Shane - Re Bluetongue nobody has said that there would be no game there? Again, My guess is that there can't/won't be a definite decision until the NRL are closer to finalising the 2011 season draw

Anyone using the "dont give up a home ground advantage" is dreaming. There is no such thing, it makes no difference.

Our home record at the moment is 5-4, as is the Titans, Bronco's is 4-4, Storm 5-3. Not one team in the NRL has a record above 70% this year.

Its all a myth and should be forgotten.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8