Monaghan is pleading for a fair go

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Joel Monaghan's 'mates' face penalty

CANBERRA players responsible for photographing Joel Monaghan's lewd act with a dog and then forwarding the pictures could face disciplinary action.

The development comes as Monaghan closes in on a deal with English Super League club London Harlequins.

At least two Raiders players took photographs of Monaghan during the vile incident with NRL chief executive David Gallop now investigating.

"At this stage, the focus is on the person who committed the act," Gallop said.

"But certainly those that were stupid enough to take photos and disseminate them must be reflecting on the damage that has been caused.

"We will wait to talk to the Raiders about that in coming days."

Harlequins RL struggled through 2010 and missed the Super League finals but it is understood the club has money and wants Monaghan.

Former Manly players Luke Dorn and Luke Williamson are part of the Harlequins roster.

Canberra's board are due to convene today to discuss sacking Monaghan.

But Monaghan decided to quit before being dumped and is now searching for a club in England with Harlequins favourites.

Gallop believes Monaghan had little choice but to shift out of the Australian competition.

"We have not deregistered the player," Gallop said.

"He has decided to leave the club and the NRL and that is probably the correct decision for all concerned.

"We will monitor how he goes [in England].

"He had acknowledged he has an issue with alcohol.

"He is not banned from coming back but we would need to assess things at that point rather than now.

"No one needs reminding how damaging his behaviour has been."

Monaghan's image remains on the Raiders official website - it will no doubt be erased today and probably forever. The Monaghan family is close and said to be shattered at the events of recent days.

Despite the drama, Monaghan - who played State of Origin football this year - will be in demand in England.

Monaghan's older brother, former Manly player Michael, had a successful 2010 with Warrington, who won the famous Challenge Cup.

Joel played for the Kangaroos during rugby league's 2008 World Cup final.

He has started to receive counselling to deal with his alcohol problem.

Roosters forward Nate Myles showed this year that players can seek and obtain redemption.

Myles was fined and suspended for defecating in a hotel room last year but this season returned and played in a grand final and represented Queensland and Australia.

Related Coverage
Joel quits: Sponsors spell end
Twitter pic: Raiders star Joel's sickening act
Disgraced Raider: Monaghan quitting but will be back
Scam: Origin star in $20,000 Vegas sting
Rebecca Wilson: With mates like these

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/joel-monaghans-mates-face-firing-squad/story-e6frexnr-1225949101135

Luke Williamson doesn't play for them anymore, he retired midway through the season.
I wish the paper's actually researched fact's before printing them

I don't understand this "poor dog" mentality. What effect exactly did it have on the dog ? I didn't realise the dog community had access to the internet, and that shame and humiliation were emotions felt in the canine world. Perhaps someone should put the dog on suicide watch. All the dog would have heard was lots of "good dog" with plenty of pats and scratches, may have even got a good lick of peanut butter for all I know. No harm to dog.

Some people need to get a grip. This is nothing but a harmless, victimless prank. It may be of questionable taste, but on the disgusting scale of things it ranks pretty low in my book. I'm happy to admit to finding the premise of the practical joke amusing, especially if the owner of the dog is as fervent about their poor doggies feelings as some of those on here. As Rex said, I find it infinitely more disgusting that people allow their dogs to lick them on the face and lips.

Monaghan will lose his job because Gallop and the Raiders haven't got the balls to stand up to a gutless sponsor or two. Meanwhile we have potential murderers, public defecators, drug takers and proven misogynists running around in the NRL. Ridiculous.

Times are changing, sports stars/public figures cant do this **** anymore.
Its not fair but thats how it is.
Monaghan will have a years holiday in the UK and will be back in Canberra come 2012. Newly reformed, he will probably play for Australia.

What makes me laugh is that he now automatically has a problem with alcohol, and has to follow the typical alcohol counselling route. The guy just got pissed and made a d!ck of himself, but apparently that means you're alcoholic.

L80 link said:
What makes me laugh is that he now automatically has a problem with alcohol, and has to follow the typical alcohol counselling route. The guy just got pissed and made a d!ck of himself, but apparently that means you're alcoholic.

My point is he admitted it,he could have hid behind the obvious lookalike or photoshop,but he did not,he admitted playing a sick joke on a teammate and crucifiction shouldnt come for the brave

So if you are "brave" to own up to something you should not suffer consequences?

He made a stupid mistake and should suffer the consequences. Simple really.

Correct, he should suffer the consequences.

However the consequences will be much greater than they should be. Drink drivers cop lesser sentences than Monaghan's about to. Perspective is needed. He got his balls licked by a dog. Victimless.

blitzkrieg link said:
[quote author=jwaa link=topic=185911.msg305216#msg305216 date=1289168464]
Times are changing, sports stars/public figures cant do this s**t anymore.

???, they've previously done this "s**t"?
[/quote]

Stuff the general public would consider just as bad if not worse- I'd bet my bottom dollar on it!
Very wrong shot, but I think people are drawing a very long bow to call him an alco- more like he can't handle his drink!
Yeah in today's society people should be more aware of this stuff, but I really don't think that was crossing his mind at that time in the morning.
It's bloody gross, yes, but serious, some of you people need a reality check if you want him hung and dried off the one incident.
As was mentioned previously he didn't hurt anyone but himself (and cast shame on his family), and I'm sure the dog will get through alright after a couple of sessions with the doggy psychiatrist.
But lets put things in perspective- there is every chance we have rapists running around in the NRL after someone buggered the police investigation into the Coffs Harbour incident....sooooo who would you rather taking your sister out for a drink..
A) A rapist, or
B) a guy who didn't know what he was doing the morning after mad Monday and let a dog lick his balls????

blitzkrieg link said:
[quote author=jwaa link=topic=185911.msg305216#msg305216 date=1289168464]
Times are changing, sports stars/public figures cant do this s**t anymore.

???, they've previously done this "****"?
[/quote]

Being drunken morons? Yes. All the time

Boner (the dog) has received numerous movie offers, but will sign on with Russell Crowe for the next bethoven film & then Joel will join him at the rabbits in 2011

He will be paying for this moment of stupidity for the rest of his life, not matter what he does on the field, this is what he will be remembered for, whereever he goes.

For mine he stood up like and man and took responsibility for his actions, admitted his wrong and said he would go to ESL.

His team mates fully supported him didn't want him to go, that says alot about their team culture given the f*ck he's made. The sponsors said threy would pull their funding.  Well I'm pretty sure that if he picks up a contract in the ESL, the team will have sponsors and if he comes back to play with Canberra (which I hope He does) they will still have sponsorship.

It was a sick photo which deserves punishment from the club/nrl but have they gone to far, concidering he will be paying for it for the rest of his life. A lot harsher than players who have done worse.

On the other hand we have a high profile player who wants his old club to pay for his legal fees, had a hand shake agreement to terms with one club, then changed his mind to agree to terms with another club after speaking with none other thanAnthony Mundine.  This is a man playing a team sport who wants too look after himself

Who would you rather have playing in the NRL?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4